New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
8,594 Posts
What a horrible tragedy. Sounds like they were just visiting, no negligence on the dad's part, and the guy he was visiting had a gun out and available and failed to secure it when the child entered the home. The homeowner is at fault here. Completely unacceptable to have an unlocked and loaded weapon in the house and not have situational awareness at all times. Even if I lived that way when my son is much older, if anyone comes into the home at all I would remove my weapons from plain view and secure them if a child was in the house.

my condolences to his family and rest in peace.

· Registered
6,222 Posts
That's terrible. Homeowner should have been aware that his firearm was within reach as soon as they hit the door.

Rest In Peace.

· Registered
9,138 Posts
This all boils down to surroundings and education. Always pay arrention to your surroundings and educate children in every possible aspect of guns. I do not leaveguns laying around, if I did, my boys would not touch them, ever. I have spent countless hours with them in regards to guns. They are not taboo in my home, we shoot often as a family. My 9 year old is probqbly the most responsible gunner in my home. RIP and prayers go out to the family.

· Registered
584 Posts
Ever one should get there kids into one of the NRA Eddie eagle classes ,This is what they should be teaching in school If you see a gun:
STOP!
Don't Touch.
Leave the Area.
Tell an Adult.
Yeah but I don't think the father had any responsibility to make the son knew what to do with a gun. It was all on the homeowner to make sure the gun was secure. Anyone who has ever been around a four year old knows you need to assume they will touch EVERYTHING that's within their reach.

· Registered
6,222 Posts
Ever one should get there kids into one of the NRA Eddie eagle classes ,This is what they should be teaching in school If you see a gun:
STOP!
Don't Touch.
Leave the Area.
Tell an Adult.
Yeah, instead they're being taught:

Stop

Be Afraid

Panic

Scream/Cry

Tell An Adult That You Had Anxiety By Seeing It

Go See A Therapist

Panic Again

· Registered
8,594 Posts
Yeah, instead they're being taught:

Stop

Be Afraid

Panic

Scream/Cry

Tell An Adult That You Had Anxiety By Seeing It

Go See A Therapist

Panic Again
Dont forget, turn in your parents for owning guns so we can come seize them.

· Registered
695 Posts
Could you imagine the lives saved, injuries avoided and overall benefit to society if the left wing liberals spent their time and energy on education of firearms instead of eradication of firearms.

· Registered
8,594 Posts
Forgot that one. They're turning kids into their watchdogs. Like in 1984.
Yes, now they make us fear the honesty and innocence of children. 15 years ago, if a kid mentioned in school his daddy had a gun, the other kids would think it was cool and they would all play cops and robbers at recess probably. Today, if that same thing happened, CPS will come take the child away from you, the Sheriff will seek to suspend your pistol permit and they will take your guns away. It is like living in Nazi Germany, it really is. Now we have to hide things from our own children that are perfectly legal just so some liberal jerkoff can't take them away from us based on trumped up charges. Maybe take our kids too. Damn these people who turned this country into a prison. Don't worry, I'm planning a jail break!

· Registered
8,557 Posts
That's terrible. Homeowner should have been aware that his firearm was within reach as soon as they hit the door.

Rest In Peace.
SF guys like most service members are so comfortable with weapons that they normally don't think twice about them being unsecured.

· Registered
8,594 Posts
SF guys like most service members are so comfortable with weapons that they normally don't think twice about them being unsecured.
Even when a kid is in the house? I just can't believe that. Would never happen to me. Even if you have guns around you since you were born, don't you always know when your guns are unsecure and where they are? I've never misplaced any of my weapons like I may misplace my car keys or cell phone. I always know where my weapons are. I would have no forgiveness for anyone who didn't. If you don't, you have no business owning guns.

· Registered
948 Posts
Yeah but I don't think the father had any responsibility to make the son knew what to do with a gun. It was all on the homeowner to make sure the gun was secure. Anyone who has ever been around a four year old knows you need to assume they will touch EVERYTHING that's within their reach.
Let's just put it this way: We cannot control how other adults act. We cannot insist that any household we may visit is "child proof" (an impossible concept)just because we visit with our child.

The child, and what that child does is the parent's responsibility, not the home owners responsibility. That 4 year old should have already been trained in gun safety by the father. Unfortunately the child was not trained, and the father paid the ultimate price.

DO NOT blame the home owner, and do not blame the gun. If there is any "blame" (I don't think there should be any "blame" here personally, as I would consider this an unfortunate accident not negligence), but if you absolutely feel you must blame someone else.. that blame belongs to the father that did not "gun proof" the child.

· Registered
8,557 Posts
Even when a kid is in the house? I just can't believe that. Would never happen to me. Even if you have guns around you since you were born, don't you always know when your guns are unsecure and where they are? I've never misplaced any of my weapons like I may misplace my car keys or cell phone. I always know where my weapons are. I would have no forgiveness for anyone who didn't. If you don't, you have no business owning guns.
Not an excuse just a reality check. Unsecured may have been a bad choice in words. My weapons are always secured although they maybe readily accessible as well.

· Registered
8,594 Posts
Let's just put it this way: We cannot control how other adults act. We cannot insist that any household we may visit is "child proof" (an impossible concept)just because we visit with our child.

The child, and what that child does is the parent's responsibility, not the home owners responsibility. That 4 year old should have already been trained in gun safety by the father. Unfortunately the child was not trained, and the father paid the ultimate price.

DO NOT blame the home owner, and do not blame the gun. If there is any "blame" (I don't think there should be any "blame" here personally, as I would consider this an unfortunate accident not negligence), but if you absolutely feel you must blame someone else.. that blame belongs to the father that did not "gun proof" the child.
I can't agree with you here. As the host, you are responsible for securing any guns and dangerous items in your own home when you have guests over. We don't know what his father taught him, but he was only four. My son is four, and he knows not to touch a gun. But he is still four, it is possible he would do it anyway. I wouldn't expect a child to truly understand no matter what you teach him until probably about age six or seven. But it is asking a lot to expect a four year old never to touch a loaded handgun easily within his reach.

Let's put it this way, I am confident I am teaching my son properly about gun safety. Nevertheless, I would not for a single second allow him to ever handle a gun or be able to access a gun or ammo no matter what.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.