New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dutches county

Finaly got my appointment at Dutches county sherif's office for fingerprints. Only took 6 months ,because of the back log.
Whole fingerprinting took less then 45 min , ladies working there west super nice. All said at done , I was told it'll be 4-6 months till I get the actuall permit.
And yes,there's a restriction, because Dutches county doesn't give out full carry if you're not a citizen.
Oh, well. I'll take it any way I can . Lol.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I'm going to hate this wait... I need to call on friday to schedule an appointment. I think this might be a while =/

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got letter in the mail today. Picking up my license tomorrow. I guess things changed and sped up.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
This is REALLY good to hear since I have my fingerprinting next Thursday.

How long of a wait did you have between the printing and getting the letter? One month exactly? Carrying this summer might be a possibility.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Looking forward to mine already. I got fingerprinted on the June 12, so knowing you got it in a month is promising for me. They too told me 4-6 months, maybe that's to keep us from calling and bothering them.

if you don't mind me asking, what gun did you end up buying?

-D

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
How do non-citizens get pistol permits? I had no idea you could do this. Heck I did not know they can own firearms. I thought you had to be an American citizen?

James
How do non-citizens get pistol permits faster than citizens would be a better question lol

·
Registered
183 Posts
strange that he had fingerprinting in april and got his in a month. Did your app have things to warrant more time spent on background checking Arrests etc etc?

when I was there and they told me 4-6 months they said theres a big wait in albany for mental health checks which is what ive seen everywhere else but still doesnt compute how he got it in a month if theres a huge hold up there.

guess we can just keep playing the waiting game.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How do non-citizens get pistol permits? I had no idea you could do this. Heck I did not know they can own firearms. I thought you had to be an American citizen?

James
You're confusing non citizens with ********. Lol

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Hmmm no I was not. What actually came to mind was LEGAL immigrants. Still can anyone answer my question?

James
You can own a gun as you don't fit any of these:
Fugitives of justice
Felons and people convicted of some misdemeanors
People under indictment for certain crimes
Illegal aliens
Anyone that has been found mentally unstable
Unlawful users of any controlled substance
Anyone dishonorably discharged from the military
Anyone who has renounced their U.S. citizenship
Anyone subject to a restraining order for stalking, harassing, or threatening

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
How do they do background checks from people of other countries? What about references? If you have only been in the country for a short time, who do you use as references? Still kind of surprised that a non-citizen can get a pistol permit.

James

·
Registered
22 Posts
when I was there and they told me 4-6 months they said theres a big wait in albany for mental health checks which is what ive seen everywhere else but still doesnt compute how he got it in a month if theres a huge hold up there.
I posted this in another thread, and it was for Orange County, but maybe it's true for all counties. I was told that the local sheriff's offices were getting direct access to do the mental health checks so they don't have to submit through Albany. Because of the transition (orange county is supposed to be up and running on July 1st), Albany has not been processing requests for mental health checks for the last month or two, which is causing a backlog of applications. Maybe that's the case here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts