New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to find the actual law that states that a person must purchase a handgun within 30 days of receiving their approval letter. Is this a state law or a county law? I can't seem to find anything.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
County, and some, like mine, won't let you even hand in the application without the bill of sale for the handgun.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
There is no law. It's your judges administrative policy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's interesting, Jeff.

The reason I'm asking is because I feel that the 30-day requirement is an unsafe policy when it comes to new gun owners. We all know that until a person is licensed, they cannot legally handle a handgun. This means that they only have 30 days to properly determine what firearm is right for them.

Secondly, it is becoming increasingly difficult to find a pistol these days because election day is coming up. Both CZ and Ruger currently have huge backlogs, as do several other manufacturers. Because of the 30-day rule, I'm probably going to have to purchase a gun that I don't actually want at this point in time.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
That's interesting, Jeff.

The reason I'm asking is because I feel that the 30-day requirement is an unsafe policy when it comes to new gun owners. We all know that until a person is licensed, they cannot legally handle a handgun. This means that they only have 30 days to properly determine what firearm is right for them.

Secondly, it is becoming increasingly difficult to find a pistol these days because election day is coming up. Both CZ and Ruger currently have huge backlogs, as do several other manufacturers. Because of the 30-day rule, I'm probably going to have to purchase a gun that I don't actually want at this point in time.
According to my gun store, even Glock is having trouble keeping up. And yes, we all know the buy a handgun before/within 30 days stuff is nonsense.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Because of the 30-day rule, I'm probably going to have to purchase a gun that I don't actually want at this point in time.
No offense, but are you so rigid in your thinking that you can't pick a suitable handgun from dozens of brands and hundreds of choices in 30 days?

And even if you had to buy one that's not what you want, you can always sell it after you buy the one you do want.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
No offense, but are you so rigid in your thinking that you can't pick a suitable handgun from dozens of brands and hundreds of choices in 30 days?

And even if you had to buy one that's not what you want, you can always sell it after you buy the one you do want.
Well assuming he works 5 days/wk that gives him 8 weekend days a month to search. Assuming they are closed on Sunday, you have 4...

·
Registered
6,150 Posts

Finances don't always allow for that. You're pretty closed-minded to think otherwise.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I remember this issue. I think I read someplace that the state allows a maxium of six months, however the counties can make it shorter. In Franklin it is two months. And you do have submit your first reciept before you actually get the physical permit. I did get a letter from the County stating all this that allowed dealers to let me handle the firearms before I made my first purchase. I guessing it's a way for the county/state to know that each permit does actually represent someone with at least one pistol. Otherwise they wouldn't necessarly know who had one and who didn't.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
In Erie county you can cross register guns, do you have a friend who will let you put one of his on your permit till you get the gun you want?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

No offense taken.

I will admit that I am a bit rigid in my preferences, yes. I want a somewhat compact all-metal SA/DA 9mm pistol that is within my price range ( < $650 ). The CZ P01 and PCR Compact is what I was looking at. I haven't seen any others matching my needs. If one wasn't available, I want a Ruger 22/45.

I realize that a polymer handgun would go bang just as an all-metal one would. I would simply prefer the all-metal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts