New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be able to get a Winchester 94 in decent condition for around 380.00. Its in .30-30.
I also wanted a lever action because of the cowboy movies and I felt they make excellent brush guns that you dont mind knocking around and dinging up.
Only thing I wanted a stainless steel one in .357 MAG since I have a .357 MAG pistol. The Winchester is blued and the blueing is not great but a friend said he'd help me reblue it if I got it.
So I have been reading different old forum post .30-30 vs .357 in a lever gun and such but still cant decide if I should get this since it seems like a good price OR if I should just wait for what I really want (A stainless steel lever action in .357 MAG).

Now to get to the use of the gun. I dont hunt so its LAST use would be as a hunting gun. It would be more of a brush, ranch hiking rifle with limited use defense.

I really wanted to keep my calibers as common as possible and getting in it .30-30 would add another caliber I'd have to stock even though it seems .30-30 is allot cheper than .357.

Thoughts? as of now I own no other rifles besides a semi .22 and a bolt action .308

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I "inherited" my dads 94 and I love shooting it. Some people discount the 30-30 as an outdated caliber, but I disagree. The recoil is manageable, there are a lot of factory loads to try with it, makes a brush gun and you've got the history factor attached to it. I also own a .308 bolt action, a Rem 660, and love to shoot that too. But I can shoot the 30-30 a lot longer than the .308...I say add it to your collection...

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
On what planet do you live in that 30-30 is cheaper than 357 Mag?

The cheapest I've found 30-30 for is $17 a box of 20 rounds.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
On what planet do you live in that 30-30 is cheaper than 357 Mag?

The cheapest I've found 30-30 for is $17 a box of 20 rounds.
TargetSportsUSA had boxes of 20 rounds going for $13.99 a few weeks ago. Now, it was target ammo as opposed to hunting ammo, but it is around.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm ok maybe I am off about the price of ammo.
Ok looks like I am getting the gun for 350.00 plus 20.00 shipping.
I plan to use this strictly as a woods gun, brush gun and if I ever start hunting rifle. Lastly it will bridge the gap for when I need longer range than waht my shotgun can provide.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
If you buy something because it is a deal you will still want the .357. I have a 94 only because it was one of the first guns I shot but if I did it over I would not buy it. The 30-30 isn't any better than the 35 rem and I have a 35 rem that is very accurate and I have a TC in 35 rem.

You can't shoot pointed bullets so forget any shots over 150 yards, I can almost shoot my slug shotgun 150 yards.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I've got a model 94 and love it. Its in a different caliber though. Not sure you'd want to carry it hiking though. Its on the heavy side for being a relatively short gun. Mines got glass on it though which is adding weight. I think the price is about average but fair.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
You can't shoot pointed bullets so forget any shots over 150 yards, I can almost shoot my slug shotgun 150 yards.
You can shoot pointed bullets in a lever action, I do it all the time. Hornaday has "Leveroution" if you want to load your tube to full capacity and if you only load one round in the chamber and one round tube you can shoot 150 gr FMJBT without fear of detonation.

I shoot 150 gr PSP in my Marlin 35 Rem and I typically load it in the tube magazine first then four 160 grain lead round/flat nose rounds behind it. it helps keep the leading down when at the range.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So yes or no to pointing bullets in a lever action?

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
So yes or no to pointing bullets in a lever action?
Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Product Line :: LEVERevolution®

Unless you are using leverevolution in your lever gun it is not wise to load more than one pointed bullet at a time in your tube fed mag (under reciol the point (say FMJBT) against the primer may cause premature detonation in the mag. As I posted in my 35 Remington I load the Jacketed Pointed bullet first, then I load my lead round/flat nose so the last round I fire is the pointed one. This practice cleans any lead out of the grooves before it can start hurting accuracy.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Again, there are much better guns than the 94. The 94 is a ranch rifle to throw in the truck and have in case you need it. I would much rather have a pump rifle but I know levers are the rage now.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hornadys pointed leverolution ammo is specificlly designed to go in tube fed lever guns. So yes you can use pointed ammo but hornady is the only one I've seen that has them. P.S. I love my lever action 30-30's, all i hunt with. I bought a winchester model 94 a year ago for $350 and it was in near perfect condition. So the price is close but I'm not sure what they go for now.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Be careful with the re-bluing -- many Win 94 receivers were made made of an alloy not compatible with the usual bluing methods -- read up on it.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks K2ue

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I own a rossi 92 357 magnum. It eats 158 grain bullets real nice. I am going to try some 125 grains to see if I can get better target accuracy. Handy gun, I shoot a ton of 38 special from it. I paid $500 for it. If you want a fun gun to shoot around it certainly fits the bill. The bullet is inherintly not a tack driver, so don't expect 1 inch groups at 100 yards. If I had a scope I think I could do better, but from a bench I am shooting about 4 inch groups at 50 yards. Also, you can shoot most steel targets with 357 magnum from a lever, but I think 30-30 is too much.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts