New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for 2nd strike capability striker fired handgun. I already owned a Walther P99. Looking for one that doesn't use paddles as a magazine release. Its just a preference of mine please don't mock. 馃槈馃槈 If you have others in mind that are not striker fire, please do tell. Thanks.

Registered
Having competed with hammer and striker fired guns (i.e. a time sensitive situation), the reaction to "No boom" is rack the slide. Even a DA revolver will perform essentially the same operation by rotating the cylinder to a new round. A second strike fixes "a primer that didn't fire the first time but will on the second hit". Racking the slide fixes that issue, but also solves dud primer, failure to come into battery, failure to eject, failure to feed...basically everything but a stuck case or an improperly inserted magazine. In the olden days of 5 round en bloc bolt action magazines and 80 round ammo loadouts (think an M98 or an M1903), an exposed striker to hit the primer again made sense....the dud round represented at least 1/6th of the ammo in the gun and 1/86th of your total ammo. I just upgraded to 27 round magazines for competition, but even my single stack carry guns have 7 and 8 round magazines.

If you have your heart set on it don't let me stop you, but thinking about the practical use case could save you some money.

Registered
I don't think you are going to find the unicorn you seek. I have a preference for all metal pistols. Just a thing with me I guess. I own just one polymer pistol. Reason for that is, search as I may I just cannot come up with a metal frame pistol that will emulate my polymer pistol. Yup, my one polymer pistol is a P99 and it has me spoiled rotten.
If you just cannot get into the paddle magazine release and you do not want to compromise on your requirements, you could swap a PPQ frame onto a P99 slide. I think it is doable though it is an added expense. Further research would confirm if I am correct.
Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts