New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this was posted before. I just came across it and found it quite interesting. It's from a few months ago.

Here's an older video (that I'm sure has made its rounds already). But, still interesting:

· Registered
3,223 Posts
I have the Velociters and let me tell you, people laugh when i tell them I use it on coyotes at distance but man it does the trick.

· Registered
157 Posts
I had a guy walk up to me and say "I was shot". He had two holes center mass in front. I looked at his back and there were two holes coming out. The holes were very small, shot from a pistol not recovered. I thought it was from a .22, probably solid points. I told him to have a seat while I call bus. He as a pretty big guy who still had a lot of fight left in him if he wanted to. Moral of the story is "don't expect someone to drop dead after being shot". Although, I have never seen anyone walk away from being shot with a .45.

· Registered
825 Posts
I would absolutely feel comfortable using my semi auto m&p 15-22 for self defense if needed. Is it the best round? No, but The rumors and myths associated with 22's are Hilarious. If you were able to even empty half of a 10 round magazine into a threat, that person is going to have a very difficult time living afterwards.

· Registered
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you were able to even empty half of a 10 round magazine into a threat, that person is going to have a very difficult time living afterwards.
Exactly. But, unless you hit something really vital like an assailant's head or heart, they are still going to be able to do a lot of harm before they finally (and probably will) die by bleeding out.

Heck, the first murder victim that I ever saw during a pathology course was an 18-year old, in the Baltimore medical examiner's office, who was shot once, at point-blank range, in the right side of his head. The .22 bullet didn't even exit the other side. Still...very lethal.

· Registered
1,485 Posts
Seen a program with a Medicsl Examiner. He stated .22 cause the most deaths, in part because they are the most common caliber but also because generally they bounce around and change paths when inside the body. They deflect off a rib or other internals and wind up hitting a vital organ, and generally do not pass through. In SD you do not want the bullet to exit. Not saying it's the best SD caliber by far but they can be lethal even with a bad placed shot. I am a firm believer in most cases when someone is shot by any caliber they generally do not keep coming forward, of course there are exceptions to any rule. If I was shot I would definitely not want another one following the first, other than defending my family after being shot I would probably not advance.

· Registered
157 Posts
I have seen plenty. Here's another- Had a skinny Puerto Rican kid who was a prisoner I was guarding after he was shot 4 times in the torso with a police issued .38 +P+. He was laughing and having a good old time telling me "We had to get 9mm's because a .38 couldn't kill a cock roach". And yes I have seen several people shot with .45.

· Registered
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
...kid who was a prisoner I was guarding after he was shot 4 times in the torso with a police issued .38 +P+. He was laughing and having a good old time telling me "We had to get 9mm's because a .38 couldn't kill a cock roach". And yes I have seen several people shot with .45.
Simply part of the laws of probability. It is always quite possible to survive 4 gunshots to the torso, but it is somewhat unlikely. This guy was merely lucky. All projectiles apparently missed vital organs. Had he suffered a hit to any of the following: Heart, aorta, vena cava, liver, and even spleen, he might have died on the scene or bled out soon after the shooting.

As has been stated: .22 to the head = game over. Similarly, .22 to the heart is also rapidly fatal. Other wounds from a .22 to vital organs may not be immediately deadly, but can and will lead to death without appropriate medical attention.

· Registered
825 Posts
If anyone is expecting really any pistol type cartridges or even larger magnum rounds to immediately stop a threat and have them "blown off the ground" or something after shooting a few rounds at the the targeted threat, you are pretty much just in a fantasy world. I think an individual should use what they're comfortable with and have experience with in such an event, and not rely on the size of the bullet they're using, because there no guarantee anything will happen. Trying to re-sight a target after a few shots with a gun you can't handle well enough is more than likely going to get you killed first too. Good shots with some of the smallest rounds will eliminate the threat enough for you to get the hell out of where you need to be and to safety. If all anyone cares about is brute force and "stopping power" get a 12 gauge shotgun if you can handle it well enough to use properly in such a situation.

· Registered
1,485 Posts
If anyone is expecting really any pistol type cartridges or even larger magnum rounds to immediately stop a threat and have them "blown off the ground" or something after shooting a few rounds at the the targeted threat, you are pretty much just in a fantasy world. I think an individual should use what they're comfortable with and have experience with in such an event, and not rely on the size of the bullet they're using, because there no guarantee anything will happen. Trying to re-sight a target after a few shots with a gun you can't handle well enough is more than likely going to get you killed first too. Good shots with some of the smallest rounds will eliminate the threat enough for you to get the hell out of where you need to be and to safety. If all anyone cares about is brute force and "stopping power" get a 12 gauge shotgun if you can handle it well enough to use properly in such a situation.
Going to have to agree and disagree. If you get shot in the thigh or mid section with a .22 you most likely could still advance forward. If you are hit in the thigh or mid section with a .45, .44 mag you are not moving forward any longer. The 45 or 44 mag will break your femor or pelvis I have not seen too many people walking with a shattered femur or pelvis a .22 will not shatter these bones so the threat may advance. If I am in bed asleep and an intruder is in my bedroom wakes me up and I am groggy, grab my gun I may not have time to aim, I may have to point and fire in a fraction of a second. In most SD situations you are going to point and shoot maybe not even lining up the sights. You may only be able to get a shot at a leg or other body part if you are in a struggle.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.