New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it was recommended once, but I didn't fully understand what I was being told. Now I'm looking a bit more and thinking that maybe .223 Wylde is more along the lines of what I want my AR chambered in, rather than the standard 5.56/.223.

I found a Kies MK1 .223 Wylde match barrel for a decent price, though it's not available currently. From what I'm gathering, the .223 Wylde will give slightly better accuracy over the 5.56 but still be able to shoot both 5.56 and .223. Am I understanding this correctly?

Does anyone have any information/opinions on Kies barrels? I haven't been able to find much, but what little I've found has been fairly positive, especially for the price.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I found a Kies MK1 .223 Wylde match barrel for a decent price, though it's not available currently. From what I'm gathering, the .223 Wylde will give slightly better accuracy over the 5.56 but still be able to shoot both 5.56 and .223. Am I understanding this correctly?
Yup. The leade in a .223 wylde is longer than a .223 remington chamber and shorter than a 5.56x45 nato chamber. You can shoot 5.56 out of it and it will be a bit more accurate (or so they say) than a NATO chamber. I just ordered a barrel and went with the wylde chamber in it. My carbine, which I don't need to be really accurate has a NATO chamber.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Hi Kies do not make any barrels. They use an OEM manufacturer. It looks they are made by Green mountain barrels.
They are not top tier barrels. Just another AR company using a basic barrel to keep the price point.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I was told by a seller on GB NOT to use the wylde chamber for 5.56..any idea why ? Most of what I have read supports the above statements...

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I was told by a seller on GB NOT to use the wylde chamber for 5.56..any idea why ? Most of what I have read supports the above statements...
Because the GB seller does not know what he's talking about. Contact the manufacturer of the barrel you want to use and ask, best to get the answer right from them.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
LOL! Maybe he was selling a 5.56 pos barrel and he didn't want you to look for a better option.
This is a good place to get some basic yet reliable information to get started in the .223rem and variants.

223 Rem + 223 AI Cartridge Guide

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Well, that's what I thought myself...if it wasn't safe, why would anyone suggest doing it?

I should add that my comment about what I have read supports the above comments, I was refering to the use of the 223 wylde camber for both 5.56 and 223, not the GB contention that it shouldn't be used..

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Many 'experts' at everything but masters at nothing. Stick around and you will find plenty of people in this forum giving you good advice including a reasonable explanation to why this or why not.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I'm hands on...if I can get it apart, I can usually get it back together....might end up with some "sphare parts" though....The ar15 is simiple enough, but there's nothing like being able to tear one apart to figure out where all those springs an pins go, and what their funtion is..we got one lower together yesterday, and it appears to funtion correctly....I fugured the best way to learn is to do one myself...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts