New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching the forum but only found threads about FMJ. I've been shooting Summit 5.56 because it's cheap and I haven't had any issues. The range I go to requires soft or hollow point ammo only. The Summit I've been shooting is about $55 for 100rds. Anyone have any suggestions of comparable ammo that won't have any issues. If I can buy it online someone cheap in bulk that'd be a plus. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Silver Bear 62 grain soft point if you can find it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeff and RD, you guys like the steel? I was about to get some steel, and then my buddy was giving me ****. From what I've read, even if it does F up your extractor, you can get a new one with all the money you saved.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Jeff and RD, you guys like the steel? I was about to get some steel, and then my buddy was giving me ****. From what I've read, even if it does F up your extractor, you can get a new one with all the money you saved.
I used to be brass only until ammo got expensive. Now I run steel in my carbine. It doesn't hurt anything. I'm not convinced it'll wear the extractor out with normal civilian use.

I couldn't get wolf to work in my gun but silver bear works great. Hard to find right now though. I think sgammo is out of it.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I shoot pretty much nothing but steel, yes. I've purchased Wolf, Brown Bear and Ulyanovsk (when it was available, but still have some left) in bulk on several occasions. I'll be picking up another 500rds of steel in the near future--just not sure what type.

I look at it this way: if my $1,000.00 M4's can't shoot steal ammo without serious malfunctions, then they shouldn't be in my collection. Each one of them eats it, gets good accuracy (not great--good) and I've seen no damage to the extractor or other components. But hey...if some $10.00 part does wear out after thousands of rounds of steel, I'll gladly replace it.

The stuff is very dirty, and some of it smells. If you don't mind cleaning your weapons and can stand a slight odor, you're gonna love steel (and the savings)

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Bass Pro in Auburn had 200 round boxes of umc 45gr hollowpoint for $117. I reload but I bought a box to see how it shot. Explodes woodchucks but It wouldn't group under an inch and a half in a rifle that shoots 1 holers with my reloads.

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
Silver Bear 62 grain soft point if you can find it.
SGAmmo has it in stock. A just ordered some Monday. $143/500 shipped to your door. $266/1000 shipped.

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
SG is great, I ordered Monday and received ammo Friday.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Jeff,

I wonder why wolf wouldn't work for you. I know different brand AR's vary with tolerances when it comes to commie steel :) but I wonder what in particular makes them not like steel case ammo? I'm an AR guy myself but I've never had a problem with wolf fmj. Just was wondering what peoples opinion is on what makes AR so temperamental when it comes to steel.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
I bought IMI 5.56 at Wideners....ended up being less than 27 cents/round once it got here....and it's brass. I haven't shot it yet but hear good things about it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts