New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good, in-expensive .22 youth rifle? They are aged 6-14. My girls are coming out from Idaho to stay with me for a while in a couple weeks. I'd like to take them to the range. Maybe start a summer tradition at the range with dad. I can remember shooting with my dad when I was a kid and I loved it. I don't think 6 is too young to start. Hell, I was that age when I started shooting my dad's .22 handguns!

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I had my 6 y/o shoulder a few different youth .22s and most were still to big for him (and he's taller than average). The Cricket (sp?) fit good but I didn't buy it. I think it was single shot and about $100. I personally agree with you on age, but note I believe NYS law is 12 for rifle and 14 for pistol. Just bringing this up because it may matter depending on where you shoot. Good luck.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had my 6 y/o shoulder a few different youth .22s and most were still to big for him (and he's taller than average). The Cricket (sp?) fit good but I didn't buy it. I think it was single shot and about $100. I personally agree with you on age, but note I believe NYS law is 12 for rifle and 14 for pistol. Just bringing this up because it may matter depending on where you shoot. Good luck.
Wow. I didn't know there was an age restriction as long as a parent was present. I'll have to check on that. Thanks.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I found what you are talking about on the NRA-ILA website. It looks like I'll only be able to take my 14 year old shooting. Everyday I find more things that convince me to move back to Idaho. That age restriction does not apply in Idaho. I guess I better start looking for jobs back there. I'm totally bummed now. This state just sucks.

Check out 2nd post in this thread Youths in Pistol League
As I read that post, I would conclude that I would have to have a hunters safety certificate to take my 14 year old shooting as well? Am I reading that correctly?

·
Registered
530 Posts
+1 on the Cricket.... You can also go the old school route and look for an old H+R or Hopkins and Allen falling block as his 1st rifle. They are out there and if you beat the bushes you can find a nice one. Let us know what you decide....

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have been taken my 8 year old grandson to the range to shoot my Henry US Survival 22 AR7 and he has been doing well with hitting the paper at 25yds.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Get a 22 for the 14 year old and a BB or pellet gun for the 6 year old to start with and go shoot some paper!!!

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Great suggestion! I think I'll do that. Thanks!
Funny, when he was trying out the Cricket, I ended up buying him a Marlin Cowboy lever action bb gun. I think it is made by Crossman. Not very powerful (bb's wouldn't go through a plastic water bottle from 10 yards, ha, ha). Lever broke off of it already. Piece of junk... I'd go with a Daisy.

In any event, he loved the bb gun and we could shoot in back yard instead of going to range. I think it is a good option at this age....

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was checking out the Mossberg 802 or 702 Plinkster. Looks like something that my 14 year old could handle. Any opinions out there?

·
Registered
687 Posts
pellet gun if you go that route....no BB's. they are dangerous and richochette too much. pellets are softer and safer. my 2 cents

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thats if you want to go semi you might get good results with a bolt action i reccomend the savage mark 2 great gun very accurate.....also cci makes bullets without gun powder just primer sends the .22 down at 710fps instead of 1200fps sounds like a pellet gun and I have been using them for years

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Marlin plinkster is ok BUT .... watch Dick's Sporting Goods (if you have one near you) as they sell a scoped MKII for $149. It's not a bull barrel or anything like that, but as far as bang for the buck goes ... it's right up there on the list.

·
Registered
91 Posts
+1 on the Cricket.... You can also go the old school route and look for an old H+R or Hopkins and Allen falling block as his 1st rifle. They are out there and if you beat the bushes you can find a nice one. Let us know what you decide....
I bought a Cricket for both my kids, 8 &10. They both enjoy shooting them.

One problem I notice is that they can be hard to load. You have to start the bullet into the chamber, you can't just drop it into the action and close it.

The single shot is nice for when they are first learning but if I were doing it again I might look for something with a magazine. That they could enjoy it more once they get more experience.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts