New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts for most accuracy out of a 22 rimfire within 100 yards? Bought a great rimfire scope and it seems a bit of a waste sitting on top of a Ruger 10/22 with mannlicher (sp?) Factory stock. Any great 22 bolt action recs out there? Best ammo?

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
One day I went to dicks to pickup some gun club laods for skeet and ended up getting their Dicks savage special that was a MKII that came with the following:
- 22LR Bull Barrel fluted.
- Accutrigger
- Scope
- Stock is so-so plastic but the whole package was $250.

Took it to the range one day and put several holes inside one dime at 50 yards and most shots inside one US quarter at 100 yards.
Eley and lapua have some of the best match ammo. some of those is what folks use in the olympics.
But I found the CCI minimags and blazer to be extremely accurate for the money.
The remington, federal and other copper plated value packs are great to pop some cans but not what you are looking for.

Sometimes you get a batch of consistent federals that is not the norm and are able to print a group like below almost inside
one dime at 100 yards. With the remingtons you get a puffin with at least every 10 rounds and the hits wonder all over.
you can actually hear the difference.

It is so fun to hit little objects at 200 and 300 yards. For 300 yards you will need a canted rail and glass accordingly.

For everything else there is "The belle curve"

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'm cool with the 10/22, just interested in opinions about what the most accurate 22's are. Assuming (possibly badly) that semi autos are a non starter if goal is precision/accuracy. Have no idea what's out there.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@meketrefe, glad to see your old avatar is back, lol. Somehow the world makes sense again. Can't see the pics on my phone, but that's what I'm talking about. Thanks for the info, as usual.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Good ammo and a good light trigger would be your best investment, after that i would recommend a good bull barrel. Some stock trigger groups have decent pulls but many are horrible and can be polished and cleaned up and improved drastically. I didn my own grigger job and it is quite nice now but i will be upgrading to a Kidd 2 stage when i can.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I would throw my hat into the arena for the Savage MKII. I bought 1 on a fluke while at Gander one day. I happened to walk in and they actually had a left handed one sitting there. It was new and someone had them order it in then never picked it up. Lucky for me!
I topped it with a decent scope (can't remember which now, and I'm too lazy to look), sited it in and it is a tack driver.
I have other .22s (couple different Winchester levers, a Henry Golden Boy, and a couple others) which I rarely shoot anymore.
Hey, just one guys $.02!!

G

·
When it comes to accurate rim fire shooting the key element is ammunition. Almost any rim fire ammunition will shoot tight groups but the elimination of flyers is key, particularly when shooting competition.

Wolf Match and Eley Black Box are two of the most consistent shooting brands. They are expensive but you get what you pay for.

I own several rim fire rifles but when it comes to shooting tight groups at distance I go to my Remington 40X. This is a custom built single shot rifle intended to emulate the physical characteristics of my Remington M700 in .308. With the best ammunition this rifle will shoot inside 1-MOA at 100-yards. (That's 40-shots in competition not a cherry picked 3-shot group.)

My other tack driver is an off-the-rack CZ 453 with a Leupold 3x-9x Rimfire scope. In my opinion this rig is your best bet for a factory tack driver.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I would throw my hat into the arena for the Savage MKII.
Ditto. For the money, it's a hard rifle to beat. Picked one up at a gun show a year or two ago for $120, put some good sights on it, and went out and broke clays at 150 with it without much trouble. Biggest problem is probably my eyesight and old glasses, and the front sight I had installed had a tiny bit of wobble to it. But the rifle itself is very accurate. Sure, there's probably more accurate rifles, but not in that price range.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
One day I went to dicks to pickup some gun club laods for skeet and ended up getting their Dicks savage special that was a MKII that came with the following:
- 22LR Bull Barrel fluted.
- Accutrigger
- Scope
- Stock is so-so plastic but the whole package was $250.
I have to correct you E. The barrel is a heavy barrel and not a bull barrel.

James

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I have a preban 10/22 with a standard barrel on an ATI dragunov stock with a good piece of glass on it and it shoots suprisingly good for an old all stock 10/22. I can hold my own with it at 50yrds. I also have a CZ 452 with a timney trigger kit and that son of a gun will literally drive tacks easily out to 100 yrds. (if I do my part) Like stated already good match ammo makes all the difference in the world.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.