New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am thinking about buying a smith and wesson M&P 22 sport.

Basically its an 22 caliber AR-15, looks identical to my 5.56 model.

Can anyone tell me if the assault rifle 10 round magazine limit applies to 22 caliber as well?

As this rifle takes special magazines designed for it there would be no "pre-ban" options and can only get what capacity mags NY calls legal.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
It still applies. It only does not apply to tubular attached mags for .22LR.

·
Registered
46 Posts
yes tubular attached mags only..i have the S&W MP 15-22 very good gun very easy to clean and care for and un like all the other ar look a likes its not a kit ..abit high priced but save alot of time with it and looks cool...but as for mag just do what i did and get more then one :)

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.

Im thinking of getting one of these for the most part to save some money on ammo.

Figured instead of the $450 for the 1200 rounds of 5.56 I could buy the 22 M&P sport then buy 22 ammo in bulk and spend like 4-5 cents per round vs 37 cents on 5.56.

But Would need to invest in more mags as well, no fun reloading every 5 minutes.

Have to think about it

·
Super Moderator
3,228 Posts
I went with a DPMS dedicated upper in .22LR instead of the S&W because of the mag issue. The DPMS will run on CMMG, Black Dog, or Ciener magazines. There are preban Ciener's out there, I believe they are 26 round, but I have yet to be able to find one to purchase, people hang on to them like gold bars. I also like the dedicated upper because I am practicing with the same trigger group with either caliber upper. I've held the S&W and the weight difference alone makes it a totally different feeling gun than my AR. I've put about 500 rounds through the upper with absolutely no malfunctions and accuracy is excellent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts