New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says I am looking for a .22 target pistol. I would like to keep it under $500. I need something to do this winter and I suck at bowling so I signed up for the intestate pistol association. I was thinking about a Ruger but I heard they are a pita to clean. Please post some suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
3,233 Posts
Check out the Browning Buckmark series. They are very accurate and the trigger is much nicer than the Ruger. They come apart for cleaning easily too.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check out the Browning Buckmark series. They are very accurate and the trigger is much nicer than the Ruger. They come apart for cleaning easily too.
Thank you sir.I looked at the smith 41 (I think you posted about them in the past) but can't find one under the $1400 area. If I enjoy this type of shooting I might have to get one someday.

What barrel length is most common for competition?

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I started using a Buckmark last season and like it a lot. I've got the Contour URX 5.5 and its going to be as good of a gun as I will need for a while.

With the buckmarks, you can drop the trigger pull in half by flipping the sear spring (cheap, easy and non-permanent mod).

·
Registered
460 Posts
yes the rugers are a pain to clean but they do not need to be cleaned often. everyone that i know hardly ever cleans them and they still work perfect. they are also extremely accurate and a great price. i am nearly certain a ruger 22/45 is going to be my next purchase rather soon.

·
Registered
905 Posts
if you decide on the ruger, find one of the older MK II's. they really are not that hard to take down, just have to learn the steps. the MK III's are a pain due to lawyer stuff.

·
Super Moderator
3,233 Posts
Thank you sir.I looked at the smith 41 (I think you posted about them in the past) but can't find one under the $1400 area. If I enjoy this type of shooting I might have to get one someday.

What barrel length is most common for competition?
We have three 41s in the house now, they are fantastic guns to shoot but also VERY expensive unless you happen across a deal somewhere. We have been fortunate to only have around $1300 invested for all three guns but it has taken a lot of years to find and accomplish this. I have a fellow shooter who has been saving up for one and he's ready to buy but the local dealers don't have one and they have told him 4-5 months to get one.

We all shoot with 5 1/2 inch barrels here. I've shot with guys who have 7 inch barrels on their 41 and I don't see any difference in accuracy. It's more a matter of weight and balance. I prefer the feel of the 5 1/2. Our Buckmark 5.5 Target is a 5 1/2 inch barrel also. Good luck with your search, hope you find what you go looking for.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Ruger MK II, trigger jobs can be done by any decent.smith and Volquartsen makes a ton of parts

·
Registered
112 Posts
I shoot out of the Brc for the Marathon team. There are alot of us who use ruger mkIII
they are not that hard to take down once you have done a couple of times and I an sure you could get
someone in the leage to help. I love mine and have had no trouble with it.
Good luck

·
Registered
687 Posts
Not sure about your league rules but if sites siside iron sites are allowed you may want to check out the Beretta Neo. I love mine and it is very accurate. Runs around 270 and breaks down very easy. additinal barels are about $100 and since they have an attached tactical rail halos and scopes mount easily. I will be adding a barrel and scope so I have one with optics and one iron sites. you can switch barrels in a couple minutes with no tools.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I'm not sure what the rules of the league are or your interests but a 6" .22 revolver would be awesome at 50 feet.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I shoot a S&W 22A with a Red Dot scope for my 50 indoor league. There are a couple of us that shoot them and we never ahve any problems. There are also Rugers, etc, and they all seem fine. I can just speak to my own experiences.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
if you decide on the ruger, find one of the older mk ii's. They really are not that hard to take down, just have to learn the steps. The mk iii's are a pain due to lawyer stuff.
this ^^^

·
Registered
491 Posts
I have a Browning Buckmark Plus that shoots very nicely....but would like to try a Ruger 22/45.

Anyone try one yet?

·
Super Moderator
3,233 Posts
I have a MkIII 22/45. Keep your Buckmark is all I will say.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
I have a Browning Buckmark Plus that shoots very nicely....but would like to try a Ruger 22/45.

Anyone try one yet?
I shot one, nice than y Mark II except for the trigger, but I got a sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet trigger on my MK II

·
Registered
450 Posts
Why not get a .22 conversion for one of the guns you have.
I have Kimber .22 conversion for my 1911 and love it. Pretty accurate too,adjustable target sights

·
Super Moderator
3,233 Posts
Why not get a .22 conversion for one of the guns you have.
I have Kimber .22 conversion for my 1911 and love it. Pretty accurate too,adjustable target sights
I'm thinking if the OP is going to shoot in a target league, most likely bullseye, he's going to want an optic on the gun.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm thinking if the OP is going to shoot in a target league, most likely bullseye, he's going to want an optic on the gun.
That is correct.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I got my 41 used for around $700. Check gunbroker.com. I also have a 22/45, for a lot less, that shoots real nice since I changed the trigger.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts