New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at this as an inexpensive method to have a .22 but I never trust all the reviews on line, too many companies pay people to make good reviews. So, any here use one? Any recommendations for one type over another? I was checking out this one CMMG AR-15 .22 LR CONVERSION KIT - Brownells Thanks for the feedback.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
I have the older Ceiner conversion kit and it works almost flawlessly. The major issue I had was the plastic Black Dog mags causing feeding issues. I have some pre-ban 30 round steel mags that work perfectly. Good luck on finding those. The Black Dog mags I have are the older ones so I do not know if the newer ones are better. From my experiences and from what I read, the mags are the issue and not the bolt assembly. They do make 10 round steel ones I think.

James

·
Registered
913 Posts
the pre ban mags need a mag plate on the mag well right? also been looking for a .22 upper or drop in. can i use my charging handle i alrdy have

·
Registered
528 Posts
Had an old Ciener kit. Worked fine, no problems. Sold it when I got a GSG-5, and sold that when I got a 15-22.

From what I've seen of other users, the stainless CMMG kits have a better record for reliability than the blued kits (phosphated?).

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
CMMG kit is great and great CS too

I have one and love it. I run Federal bulk pack. Functions flawlessly.

Keep it clean if you can, and run it wet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have owned the CMMG stainless kit for 2 years now. It is very well built and I have had no mechanical issues with it. I too use Black Dog magazines... with no feeding issues. The kit is well built and just drops right in. But its just for plinking. The .22 LR bore is .222 in diameter while the 5.56/.223 is actually .224 diameter. So the .22 LR bullet "bounces" around in the bore and accuracy is horrible. It shots ~ 2" groups at 25 yards. It also leaves lead scraps in the bore as well. I have since bought the CMMG dedicated .22 LR upper and love it. Its a little lighter, shoot very accurate and uses most of the CMMG .22 LR kit's parts.

I suggest you hold out/save a little longer for the dedicated upper, you will be much happier in the end.

-Gary

·
Registered
421 Posts
I've been pretty happy with mine. I have had a few problems that I couldn't attribute to ammo, but nothing to serious. I do wish I had bought the stainless kit though. My BIL has one, and it seems much easier to clean.

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
I have a CMMG conversion that functions terrible. I have one CMMG Evolution magazine and two Black Dogs. All three mags have the same failure. The issue isn't feeding, it's ejecting. We have tried this conversion unit in three different ARs and they all have the fail to eject problem. It is on loan today to be tried in a fourth AR. I'm going to buy a dedicated .22lr upper and give up on the conversion unit.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
The problem I see with the Chiappa is the flash hider and the 28 round magazines. Not NY friendly. I'm looking at the DPMS upper, 16" bull barrel with target crown and 10 round magazines. Black Dog magazines fit the DPMS upper.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
So if I pick up the Chiappa M4 22LR Upper as seen here Chiappa M4-22LR Upper 16" barrel w/ (2) 28rd mags , do I still need the drop in bolt group? I would think so, but the description says "ready to fire" with no mention of it.
It is a complete upper, so just swap out the 5.56 upper with your Chiappa, use the conversion magazines and have at it! Checked their website and it says it is a complete upper.

James

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
It is a complete upper, so just swap out the 5.56 upper with your Chiappa, use the conversion magazines and have at it! Checked their website and it says it is a complete upper.

James
This still isn't NY compliant even if it is a complete upper.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not worried about buying it in compliant form, I would resolve any issues necessary before attaching it to my lower. It amused my friends how big a deal I made of pinning my stock and getting my muzzle brake welded before I would take my AR to the range, and I only bought obviously old 1970s mags for it. (over 30 bucks each, that was before I found this forum)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts