New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe I don't have a bolt action, lol... need to change that. First up is 22 Hornet (because I bought some ammo under the wire, lol). What do you guys recommend? Like to have a nice "varmint" gun and maybe try a little hunting this year...

Is this a caliber you can do a project gun in?

Also would like to get something in 308 before the year is out.

No rush on any of this...

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Deleted double post

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Savage model 25 will do you just right for the 22H. For the 308 you can go savage 10/110, rem 700 or Mosberg MVP in 308 later on this year.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I have the Rem 700 PSS (1997 police sharp shooterl) in 308, my boy has the savage model 10 and I am going to pick up the Mosberg MVP Patrol in 308 when it comes out.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
If you're a bit patient and handy you can always trust a good old milsurp bolt action.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My BIL just bought an MVP in 223 wood laminate stock (well I bought it for him, lol...) Got to check it out. Saw something on here with an MVP that broke down for a backpack, etc...?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Everyone should get a milsurp gun. I love my k31 and want to add different ones. the only problem I see with milsurps are the value they have / the value I give them.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I bought a Savage25 in 17 H just to have it converted to 5.7x28

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I can't believe I don't have a bolt action, lol... need to change that. First up is 22 Hornet (because I bought some ammo under the wire, lol). What do you guys recommend? Like to have a nice "varmint" gun and maybe try a little hunting this year...

Is this a caliber you can do a project gun in?

Also would like to get something in 308 before the year is out.

No rush on any of this...
And I though every year was the year of the bolt action.... and the bow... and the glock and ...well ... lately everything that has a trigger.

Want a nice bolt action? Stick to common calibers, proven, robust and simple. Simple is good.

Build a Remington 700 tac driver (just money) or Get a Savage 10 FCP and use the difference on nice quality ammo. Either way get a decent glass and some professional training. I offer my help one on one before you dance the lets go tacticool tango.
Since you reload .223 I would actually start whit that one and build my skill there.

Nobody needs 10 rounds of 308 to kill a deer!! ....well maybe. LOL

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Everyone should get a milsurp gun. I love my k31 and want to add different ones. the only problem I see with milsurps are the value they have / the value I give them.
I recently bought a K31 from another member. Haven't picked it up yet...

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And I though every year was the year of the bolt action.... and the bow... and the glock and ...well ... lately everything that has a trigger.

Want a nice bolt action? Stick to common calibers, proven, robust and simple. Simple is good.

Build a Remington 700 tac driver (just money) or Get a Savage 10 FCP and use the difference on nice quality ammo. Either way get a decent glass and some professional training. I offer my help one on one before you dance the lets go tacticool tango.
Since you reload .223 I would actually start whit that one and build my skill there.

Nobody needs 10 rounds of 308 to kill a deer!! ....well maybe. LOL
Lol, prudent advise as always bro...

Unfortunately I bought a case of 22 Hornet and need something to shoot it, ha, ha...

I Yam what I Yam...

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
338 which one? Federal, Norma, lapua, etc...?
I thin for a beginner bad idea. Maybe 338 federal to hunt anything walking in this country but the 308 will do too.
Dude, he had me at Lapua... going to be 48 before the week is out, running out of time, lol...

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Dude, he had me at Lapua... going to be 48 before the week is out, running out of time, lol...
Lol I will be turning 49 in Afghanistan.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts