Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
85 Posts
I saw your square deal post - same thing here - Do you know who runs the matches? looking to get on mailing list and talk to the match director about my son shooting with me. Havent shot up there in a couple years and I believe he's now old enough to shoot with me in NY.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This Saturday, May 10th (mothers day weekend) IDPA match at Greene. This will be a classifier match. New shooters welcome. Show up 8pm to help set up. New shooter orientation we would like to get started by 9. Registration closes at 9:45 followed by shooters meeting and if we stay on schedule, noise starts by 10am.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We had 26 shooters on Sat. Scores will be available soon.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wanting some details on the June 14th match in Greene. Will this be a Classifier Match or will shooters need to be "classified" for this match? Thanks.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wanting some details on the June 14th match in Greene. Will this be a Classifier Match or will shooters need to be "classified" for this match? Thanks.
None of our monthly matches are sanctioned events, so no need to be an IDPA member and no need to have completed a classifier. (Although we will urge regular shooters to become card carrying IDPA members). When signing up, the score sheet will have classification choices, starting with UNC (unclassified). The choice of Novice is for those that attempted a classifier, but did not make marksman.

We just completed our classifier match in May, so the rest of the year will be mixture and variety of mostly scenario stages and surely we will throw some drill stages in once in a while. We plan to make good use of our mechanical props such as drop turners and swinging targets.

New shooters are welcome at any of our monthly matches, with the exception of the planned night match in the fall. For safety reasons, we need shooters to have first experienced a few successful daytime shoots before we can allow to participate in night match.

Walt has a few links to new shooter info here. http://www.nepaidpascores.net/misc/Welcome_to_IDPA_Shooting.pdf

Also many "new shooter" and "first IDPA" vids on youtube. Sorry this one is 24 minutes long.

Setup at 8am. One of us will break away from setup around 9am for new shooter orientation. Registration for all shooters open at 9am. Shooter meeting and roll call for squads and pit assignments at 10am. The sounds and smells of gunfire can usually be heard starting around 10:15.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Great info Jeff. Thank you!
I'm really looking forward to the 14th! I'll see you there.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We had 37 shooters for our Jun 14th match. Overall scores here. IDPA JUN 14,2014 Match
Stage details here: http://www.nepaidpascores.net/greene/2014-06-14stages.pdf
Congrats to Craig S. and Mike C. for besting me in SS SSP. Congrats to Keith for better accuracy. Your down 11 is better than my down 12.

Here is a vid of stage 4. Thanks Keith and Deb!
Here is a vid of Keith shooting stage 2.

Good to meet you Matt from Syracuse!

For those going to Square Deal, see you this Saturday. Otherwise, see you back in Greene July 12th.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I've been wanting to do IDPA for years but there were no local ranges doing it. You're about 2 hours from me, may have to make the trip down sometime!

·
Registered
146 Posts
It was a GREAT time!! Thank you Jeff for all you do at the club and for help making it a great day.
I would love to go to Square Deal, but I can't get away this Saturday, so we'll catch up at Greene soon.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
July 12th (second Saturday) is coming up soon for our next IDPA match in Greene. We have 5 stages planned. 60 rounds minimum. The 5 day forecast is looking good for this weekend.

8am setup. 9am begin shooter sign up and new shooter orientation. 10am shooter meeting and announcements, followed shortly after by the distinct sounds of those that got put first in the shooting order (by that I mean both gunfire and complaining, someone has to go first).

1. NoSurrender
2. Plinkinginthewoods.
3. Savethegirls2.
4. Familydayoutpart2.
5. ATMrobbery.

Update 7-13-2014. We had 49 shooters. It was a hot and sweaty day. Not a good day to forget my hat. We had several new shooters join us. Welcome new shooters! Two squads of 10 and three squads of 9. The e-mail from Bill with the scores has arrived Sunday am 10:32, so check your e-mail. Also, scores posted on our web site. http://www.greenerodgun.com/idpa_shoots.htm

·
Registered
146 Posts
July 12th (second Saturday) is coming up soon for our next IDPA match in Greene. We have 5 stages planned. 60 rounds minimum. The 5 day forecast is looking good for this weekend.

8am setup. 9am begin shooter sign up and new shooter orientation. 10am shooter meeting and announcements, followed shortly after by the distinct sounds of those that got put first in the shooting order (by that I mean both gunfire and complaining, someone has to go first).

1. NoSurrender
2. Plinkinginthewoods.
3. Savethegirls2.
4. Familydayoutpart2.
5. ATMrobbery.
I'll see you there. Deb will be shooting this one as well!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Picking 5 stages and planning for next Saturday, August 9th 2014. 82 rounds minimum. I will certainly need to do some of this setup the night before.

1.Reload, 18 rounds minimum, Image Page.
6 stands, 12 sticks, 1 barricade, 6 regular bad guys.

2. Finish with Bill. 18 rounds minimum, Image Page
Perhaps the last target I will use one of my "falling man" targets for Bill. One round to the leg, then 5 rounds to the fallen body.'
7 stands, 14 sticks, 7 regular bad guys, 3 no shoots, 1 barricade, 1 shoot-through barrel.

3. Better use of cover. 14 rounds minimum, http://home.insightbb.com/~cofs.idpaky/BetterUseOfCover.pdf Will use my other falling man target here.
5 stands, 10 regular sticks, falling man #1, 7 barrels, drop turner, pepper popper.

4. A Pushover. 14 rounds minimum, Image Page
We have an "out and back" that I would like to use for T2. Place the out and back behind the no-shoot rather than use a barrel here.
3 barrels, pepper popper, out-n-back, 7 stands, 14 sticks, 5 regular bad guys, 2 special bad guys, 1 no-shoot.

5. Evens and Odds, 18 rounds minimum, Image Page
6 stands, 12 sticks, 6 regular bad guys.

If this sounds like fun, then come join us Saturday Aug 9th. New shooters welcome. Workers/setup starts around 7:30 to 8am. New shooter orientation we usually hope to get started by 9am, registration closes a little before 10am so we can have a shooter meeting. If you want to come and observe, that's fine too (you can help paste targets), but everyone must have protection for eyes and ears. Rule book says eye wear must be Z87, so check your eye wear frames for Z87 marking.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Picking 5 stages and planning for next Saturday, August 9th 2014. 82 rounds minimum. I will certainly need to do some of this setup the night before.

1.Reload, 18 rounds minimum, Image Page.
6 stands, 12 sticks, 1 barricade, 6 regular bad guys.

2. Finish with Bill. 18 rounds minimum, Image Page
Perhaps the last target I will use one of my "falling man" targets for Bill. One round to the leg, then 5 rounds to the fallen body.'
7 stands, 14 sticks, 7 regular bad guys, 3 no shoots, 1 barricade, 1 shoot-through barrel.

3. Better use of cover. 14 rounds minimum, http://home.insightbb.com/~cofs.idpaky/BetterUseOfCover.pdf Will use my other falling man target here.
5 stands, 10 regular sticks, falling man #1, 7 barrels, drop turner, pepper popper.

4. A Pushover. 14 rounds minimum, Image Page
We have an "out and back" that I would like to use for T2. Place the out and back behind the no-shoot rather than use a barrel here.
3 barrels, pepper popper, out-n-back, 7 stands, 14 sticks, 5 regular bad guys, 2 special bad guys, 1 no-shoot.

5. Evens and Odds, 18 rounds minimum, Image Page
6 stands, 12 sticks, 6 regular bad guys.

If this sounds like fun, then come join us Saturday Aug 9th. New shooters welcome. Workers/setup starts around 7:30 to 8am. New shooter orientation we usually hope to get started by 9am, registration closes a little before 10am so we can have a shooter meeting. If you want to come and observe, that's fine too (you can help paste targets), but everyone must have protection for eyes and ears. Rule book says eye wear must be Z87, so check your eye wear frames for Z87 marking.
This one sounds great, I can't wait! Deb and I will try to get there a bit earlier this time to help set up.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Reminder of IDPA pistol shoot tomorrow in Greene. See above for stage descriptions.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
41 shooters yesterday. Scores are posted on our web page here. IDPA AUG 9,2014 Match

We had at least 5 new shooters. Welcome to all the new shooters. Hope to see you back in the future.

It was another fun match with no complaints of the mechanical props, save one exception. One new shooter brought a FN 5.7, 40 grain bullet. Lesson learned...Would not knock down the full size popper. Set the popper lighter, still had trouble knocking it down. Yesterday happened to be a calm day with no wind and I explained we typically can't set the poppers too light and risk the wind blowing them over prematurely.

EDIT: More info on the 5.7x28. The fastest 40 grain load listed on Wikipedia is 1950 fps. Power factor (weight in grains x speed in fps) is only 78,000. To make minor power factor in IDPA, need 125,000 for SSP (stock service pistol). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_5.7×28mm

·
Registered
146 Posts
Good info on the 5.7x28...
Sorry I missed out on this shoot, I had some unforeseen things come up.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good info on the 5.7x28...
Sorry I missed out on this shoot, I had some unforeseen things come up.
No worries. One new toy since your last visit. I have a 14" diameter x 3/8" thick plate now on our 300 yard range hanging from the a third "mini swing set" made of forklift cylinder chrome rod for frame. I'll have to get a pic. "Mini swingset" #1 and #2 are getting well used on the pistol range. Even some holes apparently from rifle despite the "pistol only" signs that I made. I have gathered the materials to make #4. Here is a pic of #1.

6-2-2014 mini swing set, pic 2.jpg

1 - 20 of 36 Posts