New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to build my own 1911. Where should I start? What are companies to avoid or parts that are really good quality?

·
Registered
303 Posts
+1 Caspian for a build

·
Registered
79 Posts
Jigs, fixtures, and tools you will need add up very quickly. Unless there is something very spacific you need you are much better off buying a quality gun from one of the companies listed above. I have been very happy with all my Kimbers. If you like the 2011 style gun also look at brazos custom guns they have good prices on STIs and will also do any custome work you want.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Caspian, STI, SVI, Dawson precision are good places to start
STI & SVI are the same company. Just depends on if you build is a comp gun or not.

Fusion offers some real nice stuff too. Depending on your skill level, you can purchase "kits" that have fitted slide, barrel and slide stop. This way you can start off by fitting the smaller parts that have less effect on accuracy.

·
Registered
466 Posts
How to Get Started Working on Your Own 1911s - 1911Forum

Jerry Kuhnhausen books are a great reference to have along with Wilson Combats 4 DVD set.

This is where you start. Read a lot. 1911s can be tricky to build. Stick with Caspian frame and slide. EGW and Wilson parts. Kart barrel is the best you can buy. Smith and Alexander makes a good magwell if you want to go that route. Do not cheap out on parts, you will pay for it in the end.

George

1 - 7 of 7 Posts