New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the really bad photo taken with phone.

So I was at the range today shooting my 1911 again. I have been getting some failure to feeds where the round is at a 45 degree angle and not chambering. This has happened sporadically regardless of the magazine used. Today though instead of the round being at a 45 degree angle it was at a 90 degree angle. In the picture below it show the bullet itself sticking out of the slide. I have never seen this or heard of this before. Any idea on the cause? I had added some lube to the rails a few magazines before this occurred if that may be the issue but I Have no idea. Thanks.

Wood Sports equipment Electric blue Fashion accessory Metal

P.S. sorry for pic being upsidedown

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was shooting 230 grain speer FMJ rounds. I dont think the round was still attached to mag but I could be wrong. When I removed magazine and locked slide back the round rotated so it was backwards in the gun. So bullet was facing firing pin and primer was facing barrel.

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I just used a snap cap to try and manually replicate what the FTF looked like. In order for it to appear as it does in the photo it has to push the follower in the magazine down a good bit which makes it even more difficult more me to comprehend how it could of happened.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
This defies the laws of physics. That sucks. Did you contact Baer? I have never seen a failure to feed like that.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Feed lips look OK on the mag?

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It happened on the mag that came with the gun and I have about 700 rounds though the gun so far. Feed lips look fine and in order for it to look the way it does like I said earlier it has to be pressing down in the magazine in a spot where there are lips to hold the round in.
Luckily I never planned on using this for carry lol and I have not contacted Baer yet. The thing is a tack driver and I have had some ongoing issues with FTF taht are at a 45 degree angle but not 90 degrees. I have read that sometimes since Baer builds them so tight for the first 500 rounds you can have some FTF's

Another thing that may be important to note is first that the other FTF's have happened in all 4 of my mags but usually when there is only a round or 2 left in the mag.

·
Super Moderator
3,234 Posts
I've had FTF issues with the 45 degree stoppage with reloads. After adjusting the OAL, things were fine. Never seen the 90 degree stoppage. I think I'd go with the magazine change and see what happens. My best results have always been with Wilson or McCormick Power Mags, they are all I use now.

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am using 4 mags and 2 different types. All of them have given me the 45 degree FTF and only the factory mag gave me the 90 one. So I dont think its a mag problem (I am no expert though lol) but I will get some more anyways in a few days because you cant have many mags.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Have a look at your extractor. If it looks good take it out and clean. Also look at the main spring and make sure no issues with it and good tension.

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I posted this on a different forum as well and they are thinking I may have to heavy of a recoil spring. My extractor looks good and I still had the 45 degree FTF's after I cleaned the entire pistol. The extractor is also chucking the brass any where from 3 feet to 7 feet.

I think the spring is 18.5 lbs atleast thats what the internet told me my gun normally comes with lol for what its worth.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Have you always had this issue or is it new? Factory ammo or reloads? HAve you changed the ammo you use? Have you tried different ammo? Sorry for all the questions just trying to help.

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not a problem. I have always had intermittent 45 degree angled FTF's. I am using 230 grain speer TMJ (thought it was FMJ) factory ammo. I have not tried any other ammo as of yet.

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also if it matters its a Les Baer Premier II with 1.5" guarantee. I also dont believe I have a buffer (not required) in there which when they break sometimes cause issues.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts