New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for advise on carrying my full size 1911. I typically carry in a IWB type holster. With the 1911 should I consider a different holster with thumb break? Any recommendation or advise?

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I don't see why you'd need a thumb break. Is the idea to have something between the hammer and the firing pin? I would think the manual and grip safeties would be enough, but that's up to you. Go with what you're comfortable with first and foremost. But I would probably choose a Crossbreed Supertuck or similar hybrid.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I just went through the research and holster buying process for my new 1911. I went with a nice leather Galco concealable open-top holster after reading about thumb breaks sometimes dis-engaging the safety.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Go with an IWB from Bob Durbin or Milt Sparks. You'll never look back!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I bought 3 new holsters for my 1911'a I got a Milt sparks IWB Summer Special 2 from Brownells. And I bought a TactiPac Fusion holster which is great. & I bought the new Reflex OWB holster from Uncle Mike's. Love all of them for my 1911 carry.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
I'm looking for advise on carrying my full size 1911. I typically carry in a IWB type holster. With the 1911 should I consider a different holster with thumb break? Any recommendation or advise?
You have 4 safeties and three with the 1911:

1. Thumb safety
2. Grip safety
3. Half cocked
4. YOU

Thumb break in my opinion is just one more step in the process. I do not carry my 1911 because I do not like carrying that much weight. I already have enough weight to carry around.

James

1 - 10 of 10 Posts