New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Orange County -

19 months and counting. Permit office claims they sent my application to the judge months ago. I have not heard anything, and it had been 6 months since my "final interview". I called again yesterday and asked them to tell me what day they sent it to the judge. They would not tell me on the spot and they took my info, and said they would call me back "in a little while". No call back.

The pistol dept says since they sent my app out, it is "out of their hands".

I Sent a letter to the judge last week. In another week i will call the judges office to follow up on my letter. When I call, I will ask the judges secretary if she can verify that they even have my applications.

Any advice ?

· Registered
1,103 Posts
even though you are pushing two years, DO NOT be a dick on the phone. I don't know much about your county specifically, but anger will get you put to the bottom of the pile, fo sho, LOL

· I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,805 Posts
ummmm hes not there already lol?

It sounds like what you plan on doing is the best course of action. Personally if I were you I would bring up the 6 month law with them. Just ask what the 6 month law means because its been so long.

· Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I haven't been rude to anyone. I've been very polite with the inquiries I've made. The letter wrote was very polite and thought out. I will continue to be polite, I don't want to give anyone a reason to deny me. I am getting very frustrated though. I keep thinking its lawyer time, but by doing that, I piss people off... so it isn't really an option.

The letter I sent was sent certified mail., btw here it is:

On March 19th, 2011, I applied for a New York State Pistol Permit. After waiting a year through the application process, a "Final Interview" was set For March 6th, 2012 at the Pistol Department. During that interview, investigators stated that in 2-4 months I would receive a decision as to whether or not my application is approved. As of today, I have not yet received a decision.
Back when I first applied for the permit in March 2011, I worked as a licensed security guard with an objective of becoming a licensed armed security guard. This is still my goal. Because I have not acquired a pistol permit, I have not been able to start training as an armed guard. It is very important for me that I receive a decision as to whether or not my application is approved. Once I recieve a decision, I will be able to decide whether I can continue working in Security, or if I will need to choose a different career path.
I understand that you may have limited time to review pistol permit applications. However, I do feel that after over a year and a half, I should have received a decision. Several months ago I stopped at the pistol department to check on my application. Investigators informed me it had been sent to your office for review shortly after my final interview. I am kindly requesting an update as to the status of my application.
Thank you for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for serving our community.

People suggested (as well as the permit office) that i DO NOT contact the judges office about my permit application. But at this point I have no choice. 19 Months!!! I just hope when I call to check on the letter i sent, the secretary doesn't tell me that they don't have my application.

Do you guys think I should give it a month first?

6,805 Posts
No I would give it a full week from when you mailed the letter. That way you give them a day or two to read it and send a letter back to you. I want to say though that your patience alone should qualify you for a permit lol. I dont think I could of waited this long.

I started to bug them a day after 6 months lol.

· Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Monday I will call the judges secretary and say im following up on the letter they received. I will ask that she verify my application is in their office. If she says yes i will wait a little longer then If i don't get a response in a timely manner after, I will contact someone to help me. Anyone know anyone that deals with these things?

· Registered
2,107 Posts
I would call a lawyer. They most def. are over the 6 month law regardless of when the clowns feel the 6 month clock begins. They are apparently incompetent in processing this properly

· Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I placed a call to the judges chambers this morning. The clerk was very friendly and prompt in returning my phone cal. She stated that My application was processed, but a mistake was made with my mailing adress and a new letter will be sent out. She stated the county clerks office is resending a letter.

My question is, do all permits that have been processed go back to the county clerk from the judge, or just disapprovals or approvals? I thought the pistol dept (or the judge?) sends the letter. does this mean i could be denied?

So guys in orange county, did the county clerk send you your approval or the pistol dept?

OCshooters.com states "you will get a letter from the Pistol License Department telling you to come in and pick up your license."

The secretary stated the county clerk office is resending a letter

6,805 Posts
I am not sure about your county but in Monroe the county clerk is the middleman for everything. I got my letter of approval from the judges office I think.

I am sure you were approved. If not then I would like to think they would of told you that you werent over the phone.

· Registered
698 Posts
Tman when you get are we going shopping? Ill take you down to see my gun guy~

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.