New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
NSW Audio

It's an interesting story. I know people that have had to deal with the stop and frisk nonsense.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
i can see this thread turning into something ugly, although i hope it doesnt. i feel bad for this kid as it certainly seems that his rights were violated, and treated like a piece of garbage. i cant see any excuse for these two nypd cops to treat someone with such a lack of respect.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Wow.

Wow, idk what else to say.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I hope it doesn't turn ugly. I definitely understand the intentions that they had with the program. It just seems to have had poor implementation. I do believe most officers join with the goal of helping communities. Policies of the force get in the way of this pursuit. I think the NYPD needs to really look at its tactics and integrate more with the community. It is definitely a problem when a sizable portion of the population has trust issues with local law enforcement.

I think video posted is pretty well done. Shows frustration on both sides.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Great Video and the NYPD is trampling all over peoples Rights!

But we know that because of the disregard for the 2A, does anyone think it just stops there?

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
let me just suggest something while its still early, keep in mind we have a good handful of LEO members on this forum that are on our side, and actually do respect our RIGHTS so try to keep it respectful and not generalize about LEOs in general. sadly, i wouldnt expect much participation from them in this thread as the "can you trust police" thread turned sour.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
In Central Harlem (where I assume this occurred) the murder rate is down 80% and Robbery is down 86%...is this a coincidence? Stop, Question, and Frisk targets the segments of society that are most likely to commit violent crimes. If they don't like it they should change their behavior.

This looks like it could have been handled better by the officers. Calling the kid a "mutt" definitely was a bad idea.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
In Central Harlem (where I assume this occurred) the murder rate is down 80% and Robbery is down 86%...is this a coincidence? Stop, Question, and Frisk targets the segments of society that are most likely to commit violent crimes. If they don't like it they should change their behavior.
Oh Bob, you never fail to disappoint. Here's your state approved sheep costume.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
If they don't like it they should change their behavior.
Walking while Black or Hispanic is something they really ought to be careful about.

Guys who pay lip service to the 4th Amendment will be singing a helluva lot different tune when it comes to your guns.

The Constitution is not an a la carte menu, either you're for all of it, or you're not.

Those attempting to legitimize the SYSTEMIC abuse of individual rights really ought to rethink the issue.

Posts like Bob's are indicative of how some folks still don't understand what's truly at stake.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
Walking while Black or Hispanic is something they really ought to be careful about.

Guys who pay lip service to the 4th Amendment will be singing a helluva lot different tune when it comes to your guns.

The Constitution is not an a la carte menu, either you're for all of it, or you're not.

Those attempting to legitimize the SYSTEMIC abuse of individual rights really ought to rethink the issue.

Posts like Bob's are indicative of how some folks still don't understand what's truly at stake.
Officer's are well within their rights to stop and question a suspicious person. This has been discussed in numerous threads already.

If you were a police officer and you saw someone nervously watching you while holding what looks to be a bag of drugs in Harlem would you just ignore it? I know I sure wouldn't, thus the kid was stopped and questioned.

You can vilify me and this procedure all you want, but keep in mind that it has been effective in reducing violence in these neighborhoods. I'll wait for the court case to be over before condemning it.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Officer's are well within their rights to stop and question a suspicious person. This has been discussed in numerous threads already.

If you were a police officer and you saw someone nervously watching you while holding what looks to be a bag of drugs in Harlem would you just ignore it? I know I sure wouldn't, thus the kid was stopped and questioned.

You can vilify me and this procedure all you want, but keep in mind that it has been effective in reducing violence in these neighborhoods. I'll wait for the court case to be over before condemning it.
Oh no, not possibly holding a bag of drugs!?

If we all know one thing, it's that the 4A has never been violated when looking for the boogeyman (drugs.)

Again? Being black or Hispanic isn't "suspicious." A hand in a pocket isn't suspicious. In fact, given the track recorded of the NYPD pulling this crap, a man with a 39ft marquee stating that he has drugs would still make me question them , and I'd probably be right.

And I'll be honest, I couldn't care less what the crime rate has done. Not like the NYPD would lie about something like that. If we locked everyone up in padded rooms the crime rate would be 0%. I for one don't vole for that.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
So what's the kids full name? Cause I don't see it mentioned anywhere, just curious.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
And Mussolini made the trains run on time.

You can't pretend like these practices aren't violating the rights of innocent peoples on a regular basis.

These are NOT isolated incidents, and your ends justify the means rationale I cannot agree with.

Put yourself in the shoes of a young Black or Hispanic guy who's 4th Amendment protections were wantonly abused.

I can't understand the cavalarity with which you're willing cede constitutional protections, specially for a gun owner.

If you won't stand up for 4th Amendment, what makes the 2nd so special?

How does one go about "changing their behavior" if RACE, AGE and GENDER defines who is stopped?

Pointing out this absurdity doesn't equate to vilifying, it's an attempt to get you to re-examine your position.

The slipperly slope you're the edge of going down is a bobsled run to a really bad place.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i can see this thread turning into something ugly, although i hope it doesnt. i feel bad for this kid as it certainly seems that his rights were violated, and treated like a piece of garbage. i cant see any excuse for these two nypd cops to treat someone with such a lack of respect.
I agree, I was on the fence when starting it

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Honest discourse is all I'm seeking, no more or less.

·
Registered
6,159 Posts
And Mussolini made the trains run on time.

You can pretend like these practices aren't violating the rights of innocent peoples on a regular basis, the facts speak otherwise.

These are NOT isolated incidents, and your ends justify the means rationale I cannot agree with.

Put yourself in the shoes of a young Black or Hispanic guy who's 4th Amendment protections were wantonly abused.

I can't understand the cavalarity with which you're willing cede constitutional protections, specially for a gun owner.

If you won't stand up for 4th Amendment, what makes the 2nd so special?

How does one go about "changing their behavior" if RACE, AGE and GENDER defines who is stopped?

Pointing out this absurdity doesn't equate to vilifying, it's an attempt to get you to re-examine your position.

The slipperly slope you're the edge of going down is a bobsled run to a really bad place.
Race, age, and gender are not why people are stopped.

Stops are made in high crime areas. Young Black and Hispanic males are the ones who predominately inhabit these areas. Race is a non-factor. If an Asian or White neighborhood was high crime it would be targeted as well.

How did you come to the conclusion that these incidents were not isolated? Out of the 106,000 stops made last year (approximately 3 per officer) what percentage conclusively resulted in an incident?

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts

Stops are made in high crime areas. Young Black and Hispanic males are the ones who predominately inhabit these areas. Race is a non-factor. If an Asian or White neighborhood was high crime it would be targeted as well.

How did you come to the conclusion that these incidents were not isolated? Out of the 106,000 stops made last year (approximately 3 per officer) what percentage conclusively resulted in an incident?
Even better, how many prevented a crime?

·
Registered
5,413 Posts

While investigating a suspicious person you you behave as these men did?

They could have asked to see his backpack and that would have been that, they threatened him, shoved him around, and you can hear the anger in their voices, over what? What did he do? He never threatened them, he answered their questions and he was accused of being a smartass, these guys are 100% wrong, then they called him a mutt and revealed why they actually stopped him. This is wrong on so many levels it isn't even funny, I hope you aren't trying to defend them. Did you listen to the video?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts