New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m assuming the required age to be able to own/get a pistol or whatever is 18 right? How do I go about doing this, nobody in my immediate family owns guns and they are very Democrat. I have an aunt upstate who owns a rifle or two but I’m not very close with them, enough side tracking though. How do I do this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can get a rifle or shotgun at 18. If you have no experience with guns, I highly recommend taking a safety course. Make sure you at least understand the 4 basic rules of gun safety.

My suggestion? Wait until prices dip down (maybe end of this year, maybe start of next) and pick up a Ruger 10/22. Use that to learn to shoot and practice. You'll even be able to use it comfortably at an indoor pistol range. If you can hit a target at 300 yards with a 10/22 (a proper feat), you'll be comfortable hitting targets at the maximum range of just about any cartridge out of a good gun. You'll be able to get to that level of skill for a fraction of the cost with the 10/22.

By then, you'll be 21 and ready to apply for a pistol permit. My advice at that point? Get the fuck outta NY! lol

·
Registered
156 Posts
Firearms ownership and use is a serious responsibility. Seek out advice from a local gun shop, join a club, find a mentor...learn the rules and laws. Safety is number one...

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you really think you could get a license in a couple months, you "assume the required age to get a pistol or whatever is 18", and don't know how to Google it then maybe guns aren't the best idea.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My advice at that point? Get the fuck outta NY! lol
Yeah cause this is ridiculous,The news talks all about mass killings and AR15’s but somehow I can own a rifle before I own a pistol lmfao. I’ll definitely go for the rifle and then move out after I’m settled

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yeah cause this is ridiculous,The news talks all about mass killings and AR15’s but somehow I can own a rifle before I own a pistol lmfao. I’ll definitely go for the rifle and then move out after I’m settled
Yeah, I think it all comes down to how "portable" the firearm is. A handgun can just too easily be concealed. A rifle is not. There are many rifle options, so spend some time figuring out which type you want and why. Enjoy!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts