New York Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

102 year old man shot & killed by Swat Team

6K views 92 replies 25 participants last post by  evileyeswatchin 
#1 ·
#3 ·
He open fired on the SWAT Team. Got what he wanted.

"The Pine Bluff Police Department got a call about an aggravated assault at a home early on Saturday evening, according to Pine Bluff Lt. David Price.
When officers arrived, they were told by two people at the residence that Monroe Isadore, 107, had threatened them with a gun, Price said.

Officers then approached a bedroom they suspected Isadore had retreated to, according to NBC affiliate KARK. When the policemen made their presence known, Isadore shot through the door at them police said.

The officers moved to a safer area and called supervisors and a SWAT team for backup.
When supervisors and the SWAT team arrived, they attempted to negotiate with Isadore through the door, but the centenarian would not cooperate. The team then slipped a camera inside the room and determined that he was in possession of a handgun, KARK reported.

After further negotiations proved fruitless, SWAT officers "pumped gas into the room," police told KARK. When Isadore became aware of the gas, he allegedly started shooting at the SWAT team through the window.
Officers inside the house knocked down the door and Isadore shot at them, ignoring a distraction device that officers threw in the room as they entered, according to police.

SWAT officers then fired back, killing Isadore, police said."

107-year-old man shot and killed by Arkansas police - U.S. News

#4 ·
"The man locked himself in his room and open fired when they came in."

Sounds, well, EXACTLY like what anyone here would/SHOULD do in a home invasion scenario.

Don't know of too many "suicide by cop" people that hide in their bedroom away from everyone.

#6 ·
"The man locked himself in his room and open fired when they came in."

Sounds, well, EXACTLY like what anyone here would/SHOULD do in a home invasion scenario.

Don't know of too many "suicide by cop" people that hide in their bedroom away from everyone.
Being old will allow you to get away with alot, but shooting at cops after threatening people with a gun is not one of them.

#8 ·
Edit the first post with more details. The video fails to mention that the old jackbutt opened fire first after threatening other people.

#10 ·
In my opinion the old guy recieved what was due to him, Any one who fires a gun at me will get gun fire returned at them, I don't care what the situation is. I'm happy for the law enforcement guys walk away to return home to their familys. Anothen one for the good guys.

#13 ·
Maybe he did, and maybe not. We only have one side of the story. I have read many cases when "highly trained" swat guys say a suspect shot first when it was their own guys who shot first do to a ND. I would like to think there are other ways of dealing with a guy who is 107 than pumping gas into his room.

#11 ·
"The team then slipped a camera inside the room and determined that he was in possession of a handgun"

I'm not the smartest man in the world, but I would have been able to determine that without a camera. The bullets through the door would have been a good indication.

#15 ·
I have no doubt the shooting could be justified when a man is pointing a gun at them (as the shooting of the cops would have been justified had they just broken in without identification), the point of contention is how it got to that point.

#16 ·
The SWAT guys felt safe enough to use a camera to look in his room and determine he had a gun (no Shi$). Why not use that same camera to monitor him until he fell asleep or died ( he was 107 after all). If no one else was in danger there is ZERO reason to gas a 107 year old. Just because the swat guys got all dressed up does not mean they had to use their toys.

#20 ·
Nothing wrong with that, as long as you don't go back on it if anything ever happens to you. I'm a firm believer that citizens should be able to sign away their right to police protection, just as some municipalities allow people to do during evacuation situations. The agreement should be permanent though.

Do you honestly think I want to risk my life for those who don't want my help anyway? We can both benefit from a program like that. I prefer to go home than be injured or killed for a cop-hater.

#21 ·
Nothing wrong with that, as long as you don't go back on it if anything ever happens to you. I'm a firm believer that citizens should be able to sign away their right to police protection, just as some municipalities allow people to do during evacuation situations. The agreement should be permanent though.

Do you honestly think I want to risk my life for those who don't want my help anyway? We can both benefit from a program like that. I prefer to go home than be injured or killed for a cop-hater.
If I could sign a paper to waive my right to police protection and get a tax break I would do it in a heart beat. Nothing against police but the odds of them saving me are about zero. My safety in my home is up to me. Most law abiding citizens will not need the police, and if they do odds are the police will not get there in time. Nothing against LEO's, but they can't just arrive right away when called. The old saying is true, when you need help in seconds, cops are only minutes away. It's not their fault, just a matter of logistics. Society should be responsible for their own safety (at home anyway).

As for the cop hater comment. Common sense does not equal cop hating. I think there are other options than gassing a 107 year old likely confused man. Like I said before, if no one else was in danger why not wait him out? I can't think of any reasons, please tell me if you have any.

#22 ·
I think age is irrelevant. A threat is a threat. If a 30 year old was brandishing a firearm and shooting at officers would you have the same reaction?

They identified themselves and he started shooting.

#23 ·
I think age is irrelevant. A threat is a threat. If a 30 year old was brandishing a firearm and shooting at officers would you have the same reaction?

He was not shooting until they gassed him. Age is not just a number in certain cases. If they shot him when he was actively shooting (befroe the gas) I would have no problem. Stop the threat. But when he was locked in a room was he really a threat?

#26 ·
Then they backed off and called SWAT. He locked himself in a room. No one else was in the room or house. How long did they wait to introduce the gas? He only fired again after he was gassed. The guy was alive before the 1911 came out. Perhaps he was confused. I think waiting could have been a viable option. Trying to negotiate with a 107 year old is like negotiating with a 7 year old many times. Perhaps they could have waited more than a few hours before gassing him.

#25 ·
The sequence of events I read is outlined here for example:

107-year-old man shot and killed by Arkansas police - U.S. News

Earlier today I read a few other articles with the same set of facts. Keep in mind that there were civilian complainants involved here, not just the police. If they don't agree with the official line, they can speak up.

#27 ·
I think it's just the times. First, we have a big controversy over black vs. white, now it's going to be old vs. young. Here we go again.

#30 ·
He threatened someone with his firearm to initiate this whole series of events. The fact that they tried gas first was more than I think they needed to do. Read my posts and you know I hate police brutality and the police state that the USA is coming to, but this is not an example of that. Wait for him to fall asleep? Would you say that of a child rapist or a bank robber?

#33 ·
"S.W.A.T. inserted gas into the room, after it was evident negotiations were unsuccessful, in hopes Isadore would surrender peacefully. When the gas was inserted into the room, Isadore fired rounds at the S.W.A.T. officers that had inserted the gas from outside a bedroom window.
"Shortly afterwards, a S.W.A.T. entry team, inside the residence, breached the door to the bedroom and threw a distraction device into the bedroom. Isadore then began to fire on the entry team and the entry team engaged Isadore, killing him."

Isadore was pronounced dead just before 7:30 p.m. - about three hours after the incident began, according to the newspaper. No police officers were injured. Police say their investigation is continuing.

The guy lives over 107 years and cops can't wait 4 hours. They gassed him, and before it had a chance to work they they used a distraction device on him. Who the F is the ring leader of the SWAT circus?

#36 ·
I think the old guy was tired of living, he just didn't know how to "get out"

I think this was a suicide-by-cop. Does anyone know what kind of health the old guy was in? maybe he heard he was going to forced into ObamaCare and decided he did not want that?

#37 ·
I definitely agree that it was a suicide-by-cop. Who knows what was going through that guy's head or in his life. Probably found an easy way out and took it at the expense of the safety of all of the police involved. Could be why he didn't seem to actually hit anyone.

#42 ·
I likw how everyone is saying "They shouldn't have used gas..." blah blah, this wasn't a siege, they didn't have time to sit there for 30 hours until he fell asleep, get real people, they had no clue what he would have done, the last time policed waited a situation out was Columbine, remember how that ended up? Not good, police don't wait anymore, they go and get your ass, and I'm sorry but I'm ok with that when it's a real danger. The NAVY reservist everyone was up in arms about for burning out of a trailer? The dude mercilessly killed LEO and was on the run, did you see what they did to Bonnie and Clyde? Yea. Police need some more of THEIR rights back, if they were allowed to light murderers and cop killers up like the 4th of July again criminals might back off.

#46 ·
Yes, cops are the oppressed minority. They need more means to harass the citizens, err, I mean rights.

In other news, cops killed a 107 year old man and people are defending that without question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.