·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have already figure this out (in my mind at least lol). It only took me 30 minutes and 3 websites. I better win that prize lol or at least be proven wrong.

I will give you a clue though (at least to what I think it is), It involves multiple theories and common sense.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
The molecules in hot water are further apart than those in cold.
This allows the freezing element to more quickly and deeply penetrate a larger portion of the water at once.

Doing such would cause it to freeze faster as it would be being cooled from the inside and out simultaniously until such point as the molecules contracted to a point matching where cold water would start.

At that stage the hot water may have an equal surface temperature as the cold water, but the core temperature would be lower as the cooling element wasn't limited to just outer exposure.

The difference being that the cold water would still need to further have its exterior cooled to bring the interior down to the level the hot water is at after being exposed to the cooling element.

ie: the water that started hot would lierally have a lower core temperature that the cold water when both have the same external temperature.
This would in turn allow the hot water volume to freeze first as its colder all the way through.

That bring it for ya?

·
Registered
868 Posts
The molecules in hot water are further apart than those in cold.
This allows the freezing element to more quickly and deeply penetrate a larger portion of the water at once.

Doing such would cause it to freeze faster as it would be being cooled from the inside and out simultaniously until such point as the molecules contracted to a point matching where cold water would start.

At that stage the hot water may have an equal surface temperature as the cold water, but the core temperature would be lower as the cooling element wasn't limited to just outer exposure.

The difference being that the cold water would still need to further have its exterior cooled to bring the interior down to the level the hot water is at after being exposed to the cooling element.

ie: the water that started hot would lierally have a lower core temperature that the cold water when both have the same external temperature.
This would in turn allow the hot water volume to freeze first as its colder all the way through.

That bring it for ya?
That was always my understanding of it and what i was taught in school.

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would say that you have a great starting point but you are missing a few details. I do have to admit though that you got on the right track quicker then me I think. You should definitely enter though.

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That was always my understanding of it and what i was taught in school.
I was never taught this in school and today was my first day hearing of it. I do hope though that someone on here can win it.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
missing a few details.
Like water expanding as it freezes?
That would allow for faster freezing of the hot water also, as the more and faster it expands when actually achiving the frozen state, the more surface area is presented faster which exponenitally speeds up convection, and as such, the rate of freezing.

The volume expansion is due to absorption of air. The water molecules proper still contract with cold, but they pull in and trap air volume kind of like a magnet pulls iron filings. (also why pipes burst when they freeze)

Random relevant note of amusement:
The 'crack' ice cubes do when put in a drink is a result of the trapped internal air trying to expand (air expands and contracts with temperature too) to a molecular spacing (for want of a better word) equal to that of the temperature of the liquid they are dropped in, yet the frozen water 'shell' portion of the cube restricts its expansion and offers no alternate escape/relief for the building pressure.
Simultaniously the shell also wants to contract as it warms, (molecules of water closing upon each other as they release air), so there's a flash shrinking very early on when dropped into the glass of liquid. The air that can't get out fighting against the shell fighting to contract

This ends up making the 'crack' as the pressure of the internal air exceeds the strength of the frozen exterior and the exterior tries to crush down on an uncrushable (for the mechanics involved) core.
Basically it bursts from the inside out and makes a sound at the moment of failure.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Done.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
1000 Euros?? Doesn't that equate to like $4.13USD now?? ;)

Here's my theory .....

Some have posted that they were taught this in school BUT .... scientists say they don't know AND they offer a reward for someone to tell them!! This PROVES my theory that scientists are as reliable and knowledgeable as fortune tellers.

There's also a few questions that need to be answered. First ... at what temperature was this hot water they supposedly use? Secondly, what was the temperature of the cold water before being placed in whatever to freeze? I know it takes awhile to make icecubes at -2F. At what temp are they attempting to freeze the hot and cold water? 32F? 0F? -10F? -50F? Interesting.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
1000 Euros?? Doesn't that equate to like $4.13USD now?? ;)

Here's my theory .....

Some have posted that they were taught this in school BUT .... scientists say they don't know AND they offer a reward for someone to tell them!! This PROVES my theory that scientists are as reliable and knowledgeable as fortune tellers.
NEgative. By today's exchange rate it is 1,267.00 US Dollars.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
NEgative. By today's exchange rate it is 1,267.00 US Dollars.
Holy crap!! The dollar is worth more than something else?? When did that happen?? Are you sure? LOL

Dude ...I can't even pronounce your screen name so .....

P.S.- hot water steams away correct? Hence ... you have less water to freeze WHEN it gets to the freezing point. Problem solved.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Wow. Tifosi that is pretty descriptive. Mind if I enter with that explanation :D I can use the cash.
Knock yourself out.

Should you win, the only caveat would be that with the exchange rate you keep 1k USD, I get half of the overage and the other half goes to the forum in some form or fashion.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Convection...

·
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Holy crap!! The dollar is worth more than something else?? When did that happen?? Are you sure? LOL

Dude ...I can't even pronounce your screen name so .....

P.S.- hot water steams away correct? Hence ... you have less water to freeze WHEN it gets to the freezing point. Problem solved.
they have tested this effect using sealed containers (hence boil off does not escape) and were still able to see this effect.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts