New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I want to build a Safe act compliant AK. I know stripped AR lowers are still able to be purchased but what about AK receivers? In particular a Nodak Spud receiver. Essentially a stripped AK receiver is the same as a stripped AR receiver, no "evil" parts. Are there any local FFL's in the capital region who sell or will accept shipment of 100% stripped AK receivers?

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
AKM receivers are prefectly ok. Now, unless you are a hardcore builder enthusiast I don't understand the benefit vs. converting a saiga that come in several popular calibers. In this case the compliance options are somewhat better than the AR including the AR15 mag adapters for the 5.56 ones.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AKM receivers are prefectly ok. Now, unless you are a hardcore builder enthusiast I don't understand the benefit vs. converting a saiga that come in several popular calibers. In this case the compliance options are somewhat better than the AR including the AR15 mag adapters for the 5.56 ones.
Building an AKM or AK74 from a parts kit is certainly less expensive than buying and converting a Saiga IMO. Although I guess it depends where you buy the Saiga.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Building an AKM or AK74 from a parts kit is certainly less expensive than buying and converting a Saiga IMO. Although I guess it depends where you buy the Saiga.
Even with expensive tools it is complex to build a quality reliable one. Most are light years from a brand new russian original made in the Izmash or molot plants. I don't see the return on investment building comparable quality. Romanian scrap parts kits cannot even begin to compare with Russian steel.
Calculator on hand do the actual math.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even with expensive tools it is complex to build a quality reliable one. Most are light years from a brand new russian original made in the Izmash or molot plants. I don't see the return on investment building comparable quality. Romanian scrap parts kits cannot even begin to compare with Russian steel.
Calculator on hand do the actual math.
Well i'd have to disagree. Though Romy G kits are ubiquitous, I wouldn't confuse quantity for quality. Sure I agree the QC on Russian imported rifles is excellent but Romanian G kits are very well built and reliable. IIRC the Soviets basically gave the same tooling and specs they used, to other Warsaw pact countries like Bulgaria, Romania, Poland etc. Except for the Yugoslav versions. Considering the Yugoslavians did things their own way, it's not surprising they built their versions of the AKM quite differently. Same goes for the Chinese, they utilized their own methods for building AKM rifles and surprisingly did an excellent job of doing so.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
I looked into it too, not cost effective unless you already have the specialized tools you need.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Well i'd have to disagree. Though Romy G kits are ubiquitous, I wouldn't confuse quantity for quality. Sure I agree the QC on Russian imported rifles is excellent but Romanian G kits are very well built and reliable. IIRC the Soviets basically gave the same tooling and specs they used, to other Warsaw pact countries like Bulgaria, Romania, Poland etc. Except for the Yugoslav versions. Considering the Yugoslavians did things their own way, it's not surprising they built their versions of the AKM quite differently. Same goes for the Chinese, they utilized their own methods for building AKM rifles and surprisingly did an excellent job of doing so.
Again one cannot even being to compare with Romanian garbage. How do we know? by working on them and inspecting the parts and seeing how the tools and bits are worn out by the russian steel. Also like Evild stated....calculator on hand do the math. Good tooling is expensive. youtubers make it look easy and results are not there. Enthusiats who do serious stuff have a considerable overhead in quality tools.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I wouldn't mind a few extra AK receivers. Think it's time for a fixed magazine AK pistol. MTM might still be making them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nodak Spud makes 100% receivers. I'm looking into a Hungarian parts kit build, which I haven't heard much about besides "RIFLE IS FINE".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Again one cannot even being to compare with Romanian garbage. How do we know? by working on them and inspecting the parts and seeing how the tools and bits are worn out by the russian steel. Also like Evild stated....calculator on hand do the math. Good tooling is expensive. youtubers make it look easy and results are not there. Enthusiats who do serious stuff have a considerable overhead in quality tools.
Worn out by the Russian steel? I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Anyway, the tools for the build itself aren't an issue as i've already procured them minus a hydraulic press which a friend of mine has in his shop. I've built a Khyber Pass from a Romy G kit and a Bulgarian AKS74 when I lived in Texas. I sold them before moving back to New York. Both were built with Nodak receivers so I do have some experience with building AK rifles.

I don't want to sound rude but no one's really answered my question. I wanted to know if any FFL's in the capital region will accept the transfer. I didn't ask for a list of reasons why I shouldn't build one.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I would call around to some ffls in the area. AK builds aren't as common as AR's around here. I would assume some will and some won't do the transfer just like people are experiencing with AR lowers.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I don't want to sound rude but no one's really answered my question. I wanted to know if any FFL's in the capital region will accept the transfer. I didn't ask for a list of reasons why I shouldn't build one.
Possibly because nobody knows offhand. Not too many people in NY build on AK receivers, at least not nearly as many as build ARs or bolts.

At least a few of the local FFLs keep AR receivers in stock, and others will do a transfer. MTM and Firefly are both NYF sponsors I believe - neither is in Columbia county, but Firefly is not too far from the north end of Columbia, while MTM is a bit more of a drive. Give them a call, and if they will not do it you can let us all know.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I think I asked this in another thread, but is there a way to buy an AK receiver with the parts that require welding/riveting already installed? ( trunnions, barrel, ejector, rails).

Then you just find your furniture, bcg, and fire control group later?

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
If you really want one and can't find a FFL near you I know a guy in Buffalo that will.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts