New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While my family has a few .22s, I lack my own. This is troublesome for me because everyone should have a .22. I really want one as a medium to bring gun-shy friends into the whole shooting world, and my other guns really aren't fit for a first time shooter. I think i'm also looking for an excuse to buy another gun ;)

I'd also just like a .22 for a practical little plinker and utilitarian "survival" gun (useful beyond just punching paper).

I think I'd like it to be semi-auto, and thus I find myself steered towards the ubiquitous 10/22, specifically Ruger's new(ish) takedown model.

Any of you have thoughts on this? Experience with the 10/22 takedown?

If you have any better suggestions/alternatives, I'm all ears.

And for what it's worth, what features should I opt for, and what should I pay for a new one?

Thanks!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a takedown, love it, no complaints. Shoots great. IIRC I paid about $300 after shipping and FFL transfer, but that was over a year ago. I screwed a swivel stud into the forearm area so I could mount a bi-pod... and threw a weaver and 4-9x scope on top. Also did the auto bolt release and extended mag release. Great plinker.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You answered your own question "why shouldn't I". That logic seems solid enough. Great gun, don't know anyone that ever regretted their purchase of a takedown. My buddy got a scope, red dot and laser on his, that way be can switch optics and the laser means he doesn't need to fire any rounds to reaquire zero.

Edit: you went with ******* as your name? SMH

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I'm shopping for a take-down myself. In fact today I'll be making the rounds to the LGS'.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Absolutely buy a 10/22 Takedown! I can't think of a reason to not have one, even if you already have a regular 10/22. It's just as accurate as a standard model. I paid $320 for mine last November, not sure what the going-price is today.

These are the parts I added to mine:

Weaver 1-Piece Multi Slot Tactical Weaver-Style Base Ruger 10/22 Matte
I'm not a fan of the standard Ruger base. This one is of better quality and finish than the rail the takedown comes with IMO, and the multiple slots give you plenty of options.

I put this on both of my 10/22's: Volquartsen Automatic Bolt Release Ruger 10/22 Black

I currently have a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on mine, but I think I'd like to a small scope as well. With the red dot or scope kept in the bag as a secondary optic

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I found mine today! Didn't get a good deal as others posted in this thread, but I finally have one. Picked it up at Collector, and they have more in stock (if anyone is looking). No extra Ruger OEM 10 round mags though. :/

·
Registered
348 Posts
The 10/22 is very nice and certainly very popular, but they are not the only takedown that should be considered. The Winchester Model 62 takedown stems from a 120 year old design. How many rifles can you legally own in NY now that you can legally load 18 rounds. The 62 fires 22 shorts, long and long rifle. They're fast and as accurate as hell and companies like Rossi being just one example have very nice copies of them. There's nothing sleeker than that style of rifle unless you just want to give it that black gun look. Just look around and consider what else is out there.

This one's an original from 1937

·
Registered
70 Posts
I don't own one (but had one on backorder for 4 months before I transferred the deposit to a .308). My brother in Ohio has one, and I think it's a great gun.

The only thing I can compare it to is my Savage MK II - which I think is slightly more accurate - but I think that just might be the trigger and a few more fps for being a bolt gun. His also really likes CCI Mini Mags - the lesser brick ammo does not always clear the receiver before the bolt comes back. I've heard an extractor upgrade can help with that though.

I'd love to have a 22 I can pack up that small though. Great gun.

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
How many rifles can you legally own in NY now that you can legally load 18 rounds.
beautiful nice 22. but isn't the large capacity ammunition feeding device part of the law separate from the "assault weapons" ban, therefore this is considered a LCAFD?? sorry, this is now completely off topic though

back to on topic. you should certainly get one. and definitely use it to get all your friends hooked on shooting! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.