New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeremy Mayfield ordered to pay $1 million for pit bull attack | From the Marbles - Yahoo! Sports

Does your mail carrier read? I would hope so. He had sings posted "beware of dogs" and "no trespassing".

Anyone else see a problem with this? Is the judge in bed with this woman or what?
I feel for the woman but it seems the judge is looking to get her some good coin from the rich folk. I hope he fights after losing his dogs to the man. I'm not a fan of pit bulls due to obvious temperment issues with age, but it is his right to own them.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Jeremy Mayfield ordered to pay $1 million for pit bull attack | From the Marbles - Yahoo! Sports

Does your mail carrier read? I would hope so. He had sings posted "beware of dogs" and "no trespassing".

Anyone else see a problem with this? Is the judge in bed with this woman or what?
I feel for the woman but it seems the judge is looking to get her some good coin from the rich folk. I hope he fights after losing his dogs to the man. I'm not a fan of pit bulls due to obvious temperment issues with age, but it is his right to own them.
If the dog bites someone they can use that 'beware of dogs' sign as a precedent to put the dog down. It happened to a friend of mine.
The no trespassing sign is good enough.

·
Registered
982 Posts
If the dog bites someone they can use that 'beware of dogs' sign as a precedent to put the dog down. It happened to a friend of mine.
The no trespassing sign is good enough.
I heard that too. If there's no sign, you can claim that you didn't know your dog was dangerous. "He's never bitten anyone before." and shift the blame to the victim. If you have a "Beware of Dog" sign, it implies that you knew he was dangerous and didn't do your best to contain him.

·
Registered
269 Posts
That is really sad. Kill a person's companions for being allowed to walk around on their own property. I don't understand how people can justify so easily killing another living being. To label these dogs as a threat because of another person's mistake and failure to follow directions is absurd.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts

What temperament issues with age? I have never heard of that. FYI these were not Pit bulls, they were mutts (the best kind of dogs usually). The title has since been changed to "dogs". Any dog can be made nasty. The pit bull headline just sells more. Maybe this guy trained them to be guard dogs. I have worked with dogs for years and can assure you pit bulls have high temperament scores and make terrible guard dogs usally. They are too people friendly believe it of not. I think the mail lady should have left a not on the mailbox to pick up at the post office. The signs were there for a reason. It was on his property. He did the right thing and offered to pay the bills and even carried her into the house to call 911. The 1 million is a bit crazy. She is claiming PSTD. What a joke.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
My mail carrier must commit 100+ crimes a day, damn federal employees think they can just walk up to my mail slot.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
My mail carrier must commit 100+ crimes a day, damn federal employees think they can just walk up to my mail slot.
\
Not sure if you read the part that said his mail box is at the road and the house it a mile away. I think it might be slightly different than Rochester.

·
Registered
810 Posts
If this postal carrier could read (newspapers) she would know suing Jeremy will get her nothing. He has lost his home and then some due to losing his NASCAR ride because of supposed illegal use of a banned subtance. So not heeding the do not trespass sign was her decision and hers alone. She could have left a note in the mailbox stating he had to go to the post office for the large package.

·
Registered
398 Posts
There were "no trespassing" signs posted. Just because they're a mail carrier does not grant them immunity from respecting people's privacy and property.
Sure it does. A mail carrier has implied permission to approach your house and to attempt to deliver mail. Furthermore, the Federal mandate to deliver the mail trumps the state trespassing statutes (to an extent).

You can google all of this yourself, but check out this appeals court decision, which just deals with mail carriers crossing your lawn.

661 F2d 783 United States v. City of Pittsburg California | OpenJurist

She had a job to do, and was required by law to deliver the package.

If this guy actually put up a defense in the first place, the award might not have been what it was, but he didn't even file a response to the charges, so she got whatever she asked for.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Anybody notice this:

"Mayfield did not show up in court or file an answer to Bolton's charges."

That's why he got a million dollar judgment against him. He didn't defend.

You mean to tell me he didn't have a homeowner's policy that would have provided a lawyer appointed by the insurance company, who would then hire the experts needed to defend against the postal worker's claim?

And even if he didn't have a homeowner's policy, a good liability defense lawyer would have made hash out of the postal worker's claim.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts