New York Firearms Forum banner

Madison County: Where to find pistol training and safety courses?

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  ctobin 
#1 ·
Hi there, I would like to apply for a pistol permit in Madison County. I don't know the first thing about shooting but as a DCO I should carry or at least know how to shoot. Anyone able to help me out with finding training? Thanks

#2 ·
I recommend you try Gander Mountain in New Hartford. Ask for Bill, he usually works Saturdays. Most pistol safety courses are on Sunday and taught by Bill. Other people will tell you the sign-up sheet is filled for a particular day, but Bill will often tell you to show up and he'll fit you on the class.
You can also look up the Handgun Safety course at Onondaga Community College.
I think the Oneida Rifle Club and the Canastota Conservation Club both want to start offering classes but haven't seen them as of yet.

#6 ·
#5 ·
You need to find out what class you need in order to apply for a permit in Madison Co. You can't take a full NRA Basic Pistol class with range time if you have no permit. Bill does the classroom portion of the NRA class as that is the requirement for Oneida Co. to apply for a permit.

#8 ·
I like the range time offer after receiving your permit. Nice job, this will be an asset for a new shooter.

#9 ·
The Ilion Fish & Game Club hold them periodically. Call the club on Saturday or Sunday mornings and someone should have the info for the next one.
315-894-2938

#10 ·
Please, what ever you do, after you receive your permit take the range time with instructor before you even think about carrying (hell, even loading) any pistol in your possession--even at home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.