Thread: Looking in WNY

Private

Default Looking in WNY

I'm looking to join a range in WNY, I live in Amherst, where I can go shooting with my son. I plan on shooting .22s, Shotgun, and other rifle calibers. I'm looking for something that is casual and has bench shooting capabilities. Not really interested in handguns at this time.
    Thanks,
    Joe

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

Chek out Niagara county Sportsman.
    45 Kills your soul.

MOLON LABE!

I was looking at the same place... still love to bring a car hood to the TWMA and put a few hundred holes in it.

Corporal

If you don't mind an hour drive, I live in Williamsville and shoot out at Rochester Brooks in Rush, NY.

$100 / year for a non-resident membership. You're required to attend a one time afternoon orientation and safety class which they offer two or three weekends every month before you can join.

They've got over a dozen skeet and trap fields, 7 or 8 pistol bays, and a rifle range.

The rifle range has target stands at 50, 100, and 200 yards. They use snow fencing on the target stands so you can hang targets with clothes pins.

The pistol bays are about 30-50 yards, you need to bring your own target stands, or you can just throw some clays on the berm. You're allowed to shoot shotgun and rifle in the bays as well. No rule against firing on the move in the bays, so you can run drills or whatever.

Rifle range and pistol bays are open pretty much any time as long as it's light out. Most range members seem to shoot shotgun sports, so you can almost always find a free bay or bench at the rifle range if you shoot on the weekends, and during the weekdays the range is deserted, so you'll probably have the place to yourself.

No range officers, members pretty much police each other, and I've never felt unsafe there. The rifle range is usually occupied by Fudds zeroing in their real tree camo bolt-action rifle in some obscure Fudd caliber. I have yet to run into any Call of Duty kids shooting sideways or from the hip.

Thanks for the info about Rochester Brooks in Rush NY. I live in Greece/Rochester and am new to rifle ownership. Been looking online for over a month for shooting ranges in my area. Its so hard to find a place to safely learn how to fire my new rifle. Hope to find some members to help me out!! Bought a remington 700 and I'm anxious to fire it! Thanks!

Private

I will look for their website. Hope they have one, sounds interesting.

Les

The NSSF has a Where To Shoot link on their site. You can search by zip code or city and distance from them.
    NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer - NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member
    === Make a fast friend, adopt a retired racing greyhound. ===

BTW...Brooks does have RSO's.......they're just not that obvious.....LOL
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

The Next Evolution in Training

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roche...61665857219329

Dave Jenkins,
    Founder, Primary Instructor: Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for:Well, pretty much everything!
    REAL TRAINING, FOR REAL PEOPLE, FOR REAL LIFE.

Private

The NSSF where to shot tool is great. Found places I didn't know about in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by RedWhiteandBlue View Post
    The NSSF where to shot tool is great. Found places I didn't know about in the area.

Where To Shoot | Home

This is a great tool!

Try a few clubs out and see which one fits all of your needs. If you do not mind the drive, Rochester Brooks is a great facility. It is worth the drive if you plan on shooting for the afternoon. Let us know which one you end up preferring and why.
    Firearms Training of Western New York
    http://www.ftwny.com
    info@ftwny.com

"Safety Doesn't Happen by Accident"

Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Firea...9341927?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by TopDog78 View Post
    I'm looking to join a range in WNY, I live in Amherst, where I can go shooting with my son. I plan on shooting .22s, Shotgun, and other rifle calibers. I'm looking for something that is casual and has bench shooting capabilities. Not really interested in handguns at this time.
    Thanks,
    Joe
    I belong to the Lockport Conservation Club. They have an indoor range that you can shoot all caliber pistols and .22 rifles. It has a 50' range. As long as you use standard velocity .22 ammo you are fine. Cost is only $95 per year for the family. You get a key card and you come when you want from 9 am to 11 pm 7 days a week. I also belong to the Hartland Conservationist club. They have an outdoor range. $30 per year. 50 yd to 200 yd range. If you are interested in the range let me know and I will give you the numbers and who to call.
    GUN CONTROL IS NOT ABOUT THE GUNS, IT'S ABOUT CONTROL

AMERICAN BY BIRTH ---------- SOUTHERN BY THE GRACE OF GOD