Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: I've $400 and want your help...

Captain

Buy a used 10/22 and send it to CPC for the full tune up. The gun will shoot extremely well and be within your $400 budget. I have had CPC do the full tune up on multiple 10/22's and a 10/22 magnum and all were extremely accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by scotts94_z28 View Post
    Buy a used 10/22 and send it to CPC for the full tune up. The gun will shoot extremely well and be within your $400 budget. I have had CPC do the full tune up on multiple 10/22's and a 10/22 magnum and all were extremely accurate.
    CPC's website says $187.00 for the full tune up. Plus shipping and FFL fees to get the gun back. Plus say $90.00 for a .92 barrel, Plus $120-140 for the Rhineland stock the OP wants. Plus the cost of a used 10/22. ($120-150 ??) Way over the proposed $400 budget. Of course if the new barrel and stock are skipped or put off until a later time, the CPC work and cost of a used or even brand new entry level 10/22 would closely meet the budget and be a really good rifle.
    The first rule of AR Club is you do not talk about AR Club!

The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. ~ Ayn Rand

Captain

Quote Originally Posted by PY-Tactical View Post
    CPC's website says $187.00 for the full tune up. Plus shipping and FFL fees to get the gun back. Plus say $90.00 for a .92 barrel, Plus $120-140 for the Rhineland stock the OP wants. Plus the cost of a used 10/22. ($120-150 ??) Way over the proposed $400 budget. Of course if the new barrel and stock are skipped or put off until a later time, the CPC work and cost of a used or even brand new entry level 10/22 would closely meet the budget and be a really good rifle.
    The cost from CPC is $204 for the full tune up and shipping, there are no FFL fee's to get the gun back from CPC. My suggestion was to purchase a used 10/22 and send it there which can be done for under $400 not to purchase a new barrel, stock and send to CPC. My factory 10/22's with full tune ups from CPC easily outshoot my 10/22 with aftermarket trigger, B&C stock and Tactical Solutions .920 barrel.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is CPC?

Quote Originally Posted by rocklax View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is CPC?
    Connecticut Precision Chambering - Ruger 10/22

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner57 View Post

Thanks for the info!

For your $400 budget, I don't see you building what you want unless you can find a used 10/22 for under $100. I'm talking replacing the stock, barrel and upgrading the trigger. You would still have to spend another $180.00 or so on a rimfire scope, mount, rings and a bipod. A new 10/22 Target model is under $400.00 You get a target trigger and heavy barrel with it. Maybe you could replace the factory laminated stock with the one pictured and recoup half the cost of the new stock by selling the factory one. I looked for months trying to find a $150.00 10/22 beater to build up and found just wasn't out there. Ended up buying a factory target model just this week.
    What are your thoughts on the target tactical now, did you get to shoot it much since you bought it? I was also looking to get in to one...where did you find it for under 400...locally? I'm up near Geneva.

Quote Originally Posted by jmpaolic View Post
    What are your thoughts on the target tactical now, did you get to shoot it much since you bought it? I was also looking to get in to one...where did you find it for under 400...locally? I'm up near Geneva.
    The Target model, (the one with the laminated stock) is generally available for under $400.00. I'd give Bass Pro a call in Auburn and see if they have one if you want locally. The Target Tactical that I bought, (Hogue stock, bipod) goes for between 420 and 450. I got mine online from Bud's Guns. I have not seen them locally. Have not shot mine yet. Got scope, (Mueller APV) mounted last week and laser bore sighted. Range was closed last Sunday for Easter so could not try it out. Hope to this weekend if rain storms hold off. Got the TT and the new Take Down to try out along with a new 14.5" AR upper also. Need to make a day of it.

The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. ~ Ayn Rand

Well we are in a holding pattern at the moment...

I've bought an 18" fluted .920 target barrel from Elysium Arms, I got it the other day but haven't snapped photos yet.

I also ordered my stock from Rhineland, but it was right before Easter and they were out of butt pads. He expected it to ship yesterday.

As for a 10/22, I'm still looking. I've had zero luck finding anything used, being in extreme SWNY I don't have a lot of options for gun stores, our local place has their cheapest one at $229.

The Target model, (the one with the laminated stock) is generally available for under $400.00. I'd give Bass Pro a call in Auburn and see if they have one if you want locally. The Target Tactical that I bought, (Hogue stock, bipod) goes for between 420 and 450. I got mine online from Bud's Guns. I have not seen them locally. Have not shot mine yet. Got scope, (Mueller APV) mounted last week and laser bore sighted. Range was closed last Sunday for Easter so could not try it out. Hope to this weekend if rain storms hold off. Got the TT and the new Take Down to try out along with a new 14.5" AR upper also. Need to make a day of it.

Yea- I'm lookin at the Target Tactical model with the hogue stock and bipod. Maybe shoot me an update when you get your range day with it?

The Target Tactical (model #1230) is in stock at Bud's online right now for 439.00 cash price with free ship. You have to pay a FFL fee to your dealer but you do save on sales tax. Bud's has had them in stock off and on every few weeks or so they're pretty popular and don't stay in stock for long.

I plan to give a full report on mine as soon as i am able with some photos and target pics.

Quote Originally Posted by rocklax View Post
    Well we are in a holding pattern at the moment...

I've bought an 18" fluted .920 target barrel from Elysium Arms, I got it the other day but haven't snapped photos yet.

I also ordered my stock from Rhineland, but it was right before Easter and they were out of butt pads. He expected it to ship yesterday.

As for a 10/22, I'm still looking. I've had zero luck finding anything used, being in extreme SWNY I don't have a lot of options for gun stores, our local place has their cheapest one at $229.

Here's a good pic of your stock:

According to UPS I should have the stock by the end of Wednesday. Now all I need is a rifle to get this build going! I promise I'll get at least a stock and barrel photo up next week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12