Thread: NY Compliant AR Stocks...?

Default NY Compliant AR Stocks...?

OK, So even though it will be 6-9 months before I see my AR 15 I ordered today, I'd like to know what NY Compliant Stock Options I have... I figured it would also be a good reference for anyone else who has the same question.

PICS are always welcome, as is any information on who makes the product and whether or not is is a good product...

(I ordered a S&W M&P15FT (Fixed Tactical) in case anyone wanted to know.)

Thanks!
    lou@defstugrp.com
    Defensive Studies Group
    GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER
    NRA Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

Default Re: NY Compliant AR Stocks...?

43 views and a few days later...

Not a single person knows anything...?
    lou@defstugrp.com
    Defensive Studies Group
    GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER

Alright fine I'll bite. Your options are:

An A2 stock.

Pin a telescoping stock.

Get a different sort of fixed stock. (ACE stocks seem pretty popular and not terrible prices)

A Magpul PRS. It's adjustable...but not telescoping. So I think it's allowed. Not sure how short it goes though.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    SCOPE Member

Anything you'd like as long as it is pinned. ;D

What are you looking for and what do you want to do with your carbine?

Any stock will do if you just want to plink. If you want your carbine for effective personal protection then you need to pay close attention to proper length of pull. Meaning the distance from the face of the trigger to the butt of the stock. Most A2 stocks are way to long for most people designed for a person 6'5" and taller. An A1 stock is 1 inch shorter and good for people 6' and taller. This is what makes telescoping stocks nice.

Having the correct LOP allows you to better mount the carbine, manage recoil and work from a mobile platform when engaging targets in a 360 degree environment. In short, it allows you to face off to your threat instead of excessively blade your upper torso.

Unfortunately in NYS you cannot own ANY type of adjustable stock which changes the length of the overall weapon system. So, you options are to get a shorter/shorty "fixed" stock or go with a telescopic stock and pin it.

I am a fan of fixed type stocks because they offer the shooter a more consistent cheek weld which means more accurate shots on target. I would suggest you avoid any type of skeleton stock with the foam on it. While it looks crazy cool and may have a few advantages (depending upon manufacturer) the big problem with them is the foam rotting once it gets wet a few times from perspiration or rain etc. and it can become abrasive.

An excellent shorty fixed stock from Sully:
    http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/se...cks/Categories

There are numerous telescopic stocks with the most popular today being the magpul CTR:
    http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index....Path=70_73_110

I have both of these stocks and they are excellent. Pinning the CTR or any telescoping stock is easy and can be done in 1/2 hr with the right tools. There may even be a thread here somewhere how to do it.

Hope this helps,
    Chris

OK... Now were getting somewhere...

I was looking at the Magpul Stock like mentioned above and others like it... The Magpul UBR really gets my panties wet, but is it legal...?

Under current law, is it "telescoping" stocks that are not allowed...? I have heard that some "adjustable" ones could be allowed if it does not collapse upon itself...

Chris, I'm looking to be able to adjust it for tactical use, but then a little longer for plinking when not in defensive set-up, thus "adjustable", but still conforming to the NON-Collapsible/Telescoping standard...

I figured if anyone has something similar to what I'm looking for, they might already know if it is legal or not...

at some point I'll just buy a pre-ban lower, but till then, I wanna do whats correct for my set-up...

lou@defstugrp.com
    Defensive Studies Group
    GLOCK CERTIFIED ARMORER

"Telescoping or folding" is the term used in the law. Of course telescoping isn't defined anywhere.

I'd just get a stock and pin it where you like it. I have my Emod pinned at position 3 which is kind of short but right where I like it. You can always shoot a rifle with a short buttstock but if it's too long you're out of luck.

I don't agree with all stocks with an adjustable LOP being illegal in NY. IMO a target stock with an adjustable butt plate is not telescoping. I don't know of any official case or ruling but I think the intent of the law was to prohibit a carbine buttstock that can make the rifle shorter, not a white oak or magpul PRS type of adjustment where the buttpad can move out an inch. just my 2 cents.

edit: None of the adjustable stocks that I would consider legal are what you're looking for. They're all target stocks which weigh a lot and only adjust an inch or so.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/rif...-build-thread/

pics of pinning a vltor emod stock

If you want to change between a HD/tactical really short stock and a longer stock more comfortable for plinking, I think your best bet is going to be to have 2 different stocks and change them. Even the adjustable ones don't adjust enough to make that much of a difference. It's the same problem I'm running into myself.

If you're willing to risk it, some people have pinned stocks with a nut and bolt rather than blind pinning and epoxying over it. I haven't heard of anyone being challenged on this to know if it's truly legal or not, but I know some people do it. That would allow you to remove the nut and bolt and re position the stock then put it back in and still have a pinned stock, just longer now.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    SCOPE Member

Private

Find an ACE ARFX, ACE ARFX-E or a Sully Stock.
    Internet Armourer.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    I hate digging up old threads, but the link to the thread quoted above is MIA. I am planning on doing this project soon. Any idea where the thread went?

Corporal

I currently have a fixed stock designed to look like the standard M4 collapsible, its the same length as the A2 that was previously on the rifle.

The UBR is really intriguing... provides a constant cheek weld ... and by their verbiage its ADJUSTABLE. Ugh... if only finding out the hard way didn't involve having all your guns taken away for having an evil stock that makes my rifle 2 inches shorter.
    Last edited by Craig10114; 02-18-2010 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XLCAPT View Post
    I hate digging up old threads, but the link to the thread quoted above is MIA. I am planning on doing this project soon. Any idea where the thread went?
    My AR-15 build thread

Sorry. Links changed when we upgraded forum software a while ago. The one I just posted here should work.

Private

Thank you!

Private

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    My AR-15 build thread

Sorry. Links changed when we upgraded forum software a while ago. The one I just posted here should work.

Thanks!!! This is just what I needed!