Thread: mossin nagant 7.62x45 $99.00 at gander

Sergeant

Default mossin nagant 7.62x45 $99.00 at gander

Are these rifles worth a hundred bucks? They come with cleaning rod, ammo pouch, bayonet and look to be in pretty decent shape

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

That's a pretty good price. I bought mine a couple of years ago at a gun show, and might have paid about the same. You will definately like the gun.
    MO

NY/FL/UT CCW

Member: LaSalle S.C., NRA

Sergeant

I know nothing about the rifle. Anything I should check for? They have 30 of them

Check the caliber before you buy ammo
    Right wing gun nut

Quote Originally Posted by twogunwilly View Post
    Check the caliber before you buy ammo
    Yea I saw that too! Pretty sure he meant 7.62x54.

As for what to look for, check the headspace. they may have a gauge there to check it. Here is a link on what to check:
    Headspacing the Mosin Nagant rifle
    MO

NY/FL/UT CCW

Member: LaSalle S.C., NRA

Yes indeed, if you do fine one in 7.62x45, it must be one of a kind! :P Now if you get one in 7.62x54r then $100 is a good price.
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution.

Open Water Diver. Dives- ​12. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)

Is that an in store special in the southern tier area. I saw the web site had one for 179.00
    Ruger SR9c
    S&W 28
    Walther P22
    Glock 22 - Gen 2
    Glock 17 - Gen 4
    Ruger 10/22
    Savage Axis .223 Remington

GSSF member, IDPA member

Corporal

Go to 7.62x54r.net and do some research. Pay attention to Hex vs. round receivers, the arsenal mark, and the model. I personally would take a M44 over a M91/30 if they have one because they are getting harder to find. Also if you do get one Iraqveteran8888 on YouTube has some great videos regarding the Mosin. Iraqveteran8888's Channel - YouTube

you also want to find one with a muzzle that hasn't been counter bored.
    45 Kills your soul.

MOLON LABE!

Sergeant

Sorry I meant 54 !

see next post
    Last edited by BUCKrub91; 10-13-2011 at 07:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rabump199 View Post
    Is that an in store special in the southern tier area. I saw the web site had one for 179.00
    Saw this post and checked and if you click on the sale for the mosin it will say sale $99.99

Must be every gander

Major

You will enjoy the MN. I imagine at $99 it's a 91/30 full sized rifle. Huge fun to shoot, ammo is available. Make SURE you clean it well, and a lot of the surplus ammo has a varnish finsh that can lead to ejection problems. Use a shotgun brush and keep the chamber really clean. Look at the headspace, but it is very easy to correct in most cases, these things are indestuctible and simple to maintain. Hex receivers are kind of desirable for the collector, but round tops are more modern, if they can be called that, versions.
    It is always prudent to keep in mind the fact that an old lion is still, indeed, a lion.

Hmm, I'll have to check out my local GM today.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have a 1942 matching 91/30 and about 400 rounds of surplus ammo. $200 for the rifle and ammo. It's a nice cheap piece of history! I like to bring it out every few trips to the range. Can hit a clay at 100 yards (every 3rd shot or so haha).

"dated 1930 -44 - 28.7" barrel with 5 round magazine"

Sergeant

I found one at gander w matching numbers except for the bayonet and It had the triangle mark on it. Guess its called an izzy?

Corporal

I'm going to take a ride over there today myself. Was it counter bored or does the rifling come right up to the muzzle?

Sergeant

I was at GM in henrietta at 1215 today, they were outof the $99 deals!!

They also had 1 poor bastard working the gun counter for about the 15 minutes i was there.Several people walked out.

Major

They had two tonight trying to help the throng of bowhunter's with last minute needs (including me: Note to self- change the peepsight tubing yearly, it does rot away at the worst possible time, like the night before opening morning).

The MN's are well worth a c-note and will surprise the heck out you for accuracy. Watch the Movie "Enemy at the Gates". If it's good enough for Zaitsev to take out a herd of German's at Stalingrad, it must have something going!
    It is always prudent to keep in mind the fact that an old lion is still, indeed, a lion.

Corporal

Nice rifles for 100 bucks, now whats the best stuff to clean off all this grease? Yup on this forum for one day and you guys get me to run out and buy a Mosin Nagant, I just can't put it in the safe next to the Finn M39. ;-)

Thanks for the heads up on a good deal.

Major

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by medbill View Post
    Nice rifles for 100 bucks, now whats the best stuff to clean off all this grease? Yup on this forum for one day and you guys get me to run out and buy a Mosin Nagant, I just can't put it in the safe next to the Finn M39. ;-)

Thanks for the heads up on a good deal.
    use kerosene or diesel fuel to clean off the cosmoline, i prefer kerosene because it doesn't smell as bad. unless you want to truly piss off your wife, do the cleaning outside. the mosin won't have the best sites compared to your finn, but they are pretty rock solid and you won't feel bad scratching the stock. please post pics of the M39, there are many fans of mosin varients on this forum.

Okay, since I JUST got a Mosin-Nagant, I'm going to tell you my true beliefs about the rifle. For starters, the gun has been around since 1891 and has been used ever since. The Mosin-Nagant is STILL being recovered in weapons caches here in Iraq. The Mosin-Nagant was the main battle rifle for the Soviet army and has seen just about every conflict. ALSO, for the history of the rifle, at least three of the world's best snipers the world has ever seen with historic as well as the highest amount of confirmed kills in our past wars, were taken by THIS RIFLE, the Mosin-Nagant. To name a couple, if you haven't heard of them already, one would be, Vasily Grigoryevich Zaytsev, a Soviet sniper with over 240 confirmed kills who was also depicted in the film called, "Enemy at the Gates." The other sniper being, Simo Häyhä, a Finnish sniper with over 500 confirmed kills. The rifle itself is extremely powerful considering the fact that it fires a 7.62x54R projectile. The rifle can reach a 1,000 yard shot, provided you do some minor mods to the barrel and simple things like that. You can easily turn the already accurate rifle (accurate out of the box) into a tac driver, if you're willing to spend some money. You can find videos such as the 1,000 yard shot (the guy hit 3/5 at that distance twice) on YouTube if you care to go look. For starters, think of it this way. It's $99.00 plus tax for a 7.62x54R. You would easily spend let's say an average of $450+ on a .308 caliber rifle that packs as much of a punch as this same rifle at $99.00. You could spend that extra money that you would on a $450+ gun and put it into your Mosin-Nagant and produce a rifle far better than what you can find in the store for maybe the same price or less considering what you do to it to make the rifle the way you want it. I spent $156.60 for my Mosin-Nagant and it came with the accessories pretty much all Mosin-Nagants come with. The rifle used to be found for nearly $60, the price has been rising, so if you want one, now's definitely the time to get one. I have a list of mods and their prices that I'll list on here so you can get an idea of what you'd spend to make the rifle a nice modern day hunting rifle in the event that's what you're attempting to do as I did. If you don't like the original stock, you can go with an ATI synthetic stock. For me, it was exactly $65.97 and I got it off of Amazon a few months ago. It's a simple drop-in kit. I bought a scope mount kit for $14.92 off of Amazon as well. I also sent my bolt off to get an extended bolt handle, get it bent down to accept a scope, it will have a safety pull ring attached since the stock safety mechanism is a pain to get back, and also have it blued to match the look I'm going for. That is costing me exactly $75 to include shipping and all supplies/labor/tax. I bought a simple bipod and five round holder that wraps around the buttstock for a total of $49.03. And also, since I like the look of it and it helps with the horse-kick your rifle seems to like to give, I bought a limbsaver recoil pad for $32.39. You add all that up, and it's still cheaper than the average .308 rifle you can buy off the shelf. That's also with MY price I paid for the Mosin-Nagant of $156.60, so imagine how much more you're already saving. Obviously, I didn't include the price I paid for my scope because you may already have one, and the scope I like may not be your preference. So all in all, you are spending a total of MAYBE $450 considering the price you're paying for your rifle from the start and depending on the mods I listed that you do or don't go with. Obviously if you want top of the line stuff, it'll be more, but I went with stuff that will "work for now." You can get ammo for the rifle for pretty cheap if you don't mind corrosive, but if you don't want to put that crap down your barrel, there's a site I'll recommend considering it's somewhat cheap and it's the Silver Bear brand a lot of people I know use. You can also buy this stuff in bulk. If you can find it cheaper somewhere else, please tell me asap!

Silver Bear 7.62x54r 174 - Grain Fmj Ammo, 20 Rds., Rifle Ammunition, Silver Bear at Sportsman's Guide

I honestly love this rifle and would recommend it to anyone since it's really not a big load of green out of your wallet, giving you more to spend on the customization of your rifle or for more ammunition to fire with it! It shoots, it's accurate, it kicks, it's awesome. Plain and simple. I'll post some pics of my rifle that is still a work in progress so you can check them out and better your decision with ideas I hope you enjoy man, you won't regret the rifle. I thought I would, but I definitely enjoy the money spent. And now, for the pictures! Click to enlarge since I can't get PhotoBucket to work properly.

The first gun shown is the LOOK I AM GOING FOR. The second picture is the bolt with the turn-down handle as well as the SAFETY ring on the end of it to make putting the rifle in the safe-lock position so much easier. The third picture is MY Mosin-Nagant with everything it currently has minus the recoil pad since I got that in the mail after I left NY for Iraq. My sister is holding the scope up because when this picture was taken, the scope mount wasn't installed and my bolt wasn't taken out and sent off just yet. The last picture is my Mosin-Nagant, the day I brought it home. I hope this helped you with your decision. Please let me know if you need any information or whatnot. I'll do my best to help you out! -Matt

Mosin Nagant ATI Stock (2).jpgSniper Bolt with Pull Ring.jpgDSCF1870.jpg30 7.62x54R with Bayonet - Matt .jpg
    SIG 1911 XO & M400-E & SIG P226/MK-25 & Tula SKS & Ishapore 2A1
    Springfield M1 Garand & XD(m) 9 (3.8) & M1A Loaded (Walnut) & Mil-Spec 1911
    FNH FS2000 (Gen1 OD Green) & Glock 17 & Thompson TM1 Carbine
    1917 Remington Mosin Nagant (#s Matching) & Colt Gold Cup Trophy & IWI Tavor IDF

Quote Originally Posted by ECU Pirates View Post
    I have a 1942 matching 91/30 and about 400 rounds of surplus ammo. $200 for the rifle and ammo. It's a nice cheap piece of history! I like to bring it out every few trips to the range. Can hit a clay at 100 yards (every 3rd shot or so haha).
    do you ever get to onondaga county?