Thread: AK-47 muzzle brakes

Default AK-47 muzzle brakes

I just got a WASR-10 last week and would like to know if it would be legal to have a muzzle brake permanently installed on it. I hear different anwers from different people, but reading the laws myself I only see statements against flash suppressors and threaded barrels that it could be screwed on to (which my WASR-10 has removed). I've seen shotguns at Gander Mtn. that have muzzle brakes, and when I asked the people who worked there they said they're legal as long as they don't hide the flash and they're permanently welded on.

Does anyone know for certain what I can legally do in regard to compensators and muzzlebrakes? Is there a way to tell the difference between illegal flash suppressors and any NY-compliant muzzle brakes? And if it is legal to have one installed on my AK would it give enough of an improvement in accuracy to be worth the money?
    Last edited by Infernal Seraph; 07-27-2010 at 05:13 PM.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

A threaded muzzle is considered an evil feature and as fat as semi-automatic rifles with a removable magazine are concerned you can only have 1 evil feature, so if you have a WASR with a dragunov style thumbhole stock then you can have a threaded muzzle or a flash hider and still be within the requirements of the law.

But, as your WASR most likely has a pistol grip then you can not have a threaded muzzle or flash hider - you can however put on a muzzle brake or a compensator and have it silver soldered or welded in place.

The ONLY muzzle brake that has done anything worthwhile on my AK's are the 24mm AK-74 brakes like the one that Kreb's sells. They don't do much to improve accuracy but counteract the movement of the rifle caused by recoil during operation.

link: Welcome to Krebs Custom - Custom Parts - Kalashnikov Rifle Parts

Under your muzzle thread protector (thing currently at the end of your barrel) will be 14x1mm LH threads, you put the 14-24mm bushing on (threads towards the front sight) and then screw on the 24mm brake and have it welded in place. This is a VERY effective brake, just make sure you get the .30 Caliber model.

Okay I'll look into it. I think I'll wait till I actually shoot it though before I decide on any permanent modifications.

I'd still need to find a locksmith who'd be willing to install it though. Most of the Gander Mtn. people seem scared of anything that even looks like an AK.

The gunworks in Verona will weld on a brake but they take a while - the guys at Allstar tactical in Webster do an excellent job and have a quick turn around. I would recommend all-star but depending on where you live you may find someone closer. Gander Mtn won't install muzzle devices on AKs for whatever reason - the Utica store wouldn't touch mine either...

Corporal

I believe that Allstar stocks or could get you the Primary Weapons Systems FSC47 ... that one is certified by the ATF to be non-flash-suppressing. It's fairly pricy, but I've heard a lot of good things about it.

As I said previously in one of my many "disappearing posts," the Noveske KX3 will soon find a home on my AK. Absolutely gorgeous piece of hardware...
    “Disconnect and self destruct one bullet at a time
    What's your rush, now? Everyone will have his day to die." -APC

This Too Shall Pass

Quote Originally Posted by RDFABSREP View Post
    As I said previously in one of my many "disappearing posts," the Noveske KX3 will soon find a home on my AK. Absolutely gorgeous piece of hardware...
    I looked it up and all the sites say its classified as a flash supressor by the ATF. Is that legal here?

Not really what I'm looking for anyway. Way too expensive and personally I think it would look kinda ugly on an AK.
    Last edited by Infernal Seraph; 07-30-2010 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Infernal Seraph View Post
    I looked it up and all the sites say its classified as a flash supressor by the ATF. Is that legal here?

Note really what I'm looking for anyway. Way too expensive and personally I think it would look kinda ugly on an AK.

No it is not legal here.
    Allstar Tactical
    1041 Gravel Road 14580 (585) 324-0345
    AR-15 Parts & Rifles Manufacturer | Modern Military Firearms & Accessories |Optics, Knives, and Gear

Specializing in Civilian, Law Enforcement, Special Forces, and Military Sales

FFL Type 01 | FFL Type 07 | Class II SOT
    DUNS: 832966449 | CAGE: 5U7P8
    NRA Business Alliance Member | NSSF Supporting Member | BBB Accredited

www.allstartactical.com | facebook | twitter | line card

Quote Originally Posted by Brad@AST View Post
    No it is not legal here.
    Which is why his posts disappear.
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Not really what I'm looking for anyway. Way too expensive and personally I think it would look kinda ugly on an AK.
    No, it's not legal here unless you eliminate another evil feature *cough* Yes, it does look phenominal on an AK (just can't find the picture) but it works/looks especially good on SBR's. It may be expensive, but c'mon...it's Noveske and it's built like a freakin' tank. Not to mention it drastically reduces the muzzle blast felt/heard by others around you and directs it down range. Cool in soooo many ways.
    “Disconnect and self destruct one bullet at a time
    What's your rush, now? Everyone will have his day to die." -APC

This Too Shall Pass

So if a part says it's 922r compliant does that mean it's been identified as a non-flash supressing device?

So if a part says it's 922r compliant does that mean it's been identified as a non-flash supressing device?
    I think that just means it's US made.
    Doesn't 922r refer to the amount of US made parts required?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad@AST View Post
    No it is not legal here.
    What if he when to a thumb hole stock and welded the flash suppressor on.

It would be the 1 allowed evil feature.

No, 922r is a whole different ball game.

What is 922R?

Title 18 of the US Code (18 USC), Chapter 44 Section 922 provides guidance on unlawful acts as they relate to firearms. You can read the text of the law by clicking here.

Section 922 Paragraph R states:

"It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to--
    (1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
    (2) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General. "

Most of us don't fall under those exceptions, so we are left to deal with meeting compliance with the law.

"Sporting" Purposes
    Here's where things get a little tricky. Some rifles, such as the Saiga line, are imported for sporting purposes in a particular configuration. Generally, that means that do not incorporate any of the "evil" features that are typically associated with so-called "semi-automatic assault weapons". Chapter 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations Section 478.11 defines these SAWs. You can read the law, here. Specific examples of these features include:

- High capacity (greater than 10 round for rifles, 5 rounds for shotgun) magazines
    - Pistol grip attachment
    - Folding buttstock
    - Muzzle device/attachment (to include a threaded barrel capable of receiving a device)
    - Bayonet lugs
    If your rifle or shotgun incorporates those features, it no longer is considered "suitable for sporting purposes".

Assembling Semiauto Rifles and Shotguns
    If your rifle or shotgun is subject to 922R, you must now make sure that it is in compliance with the regulations governing the assembly of semiautomatic rifles and shotguns. That is covered in Title 27 Chapter 1 Section 178.39. Click here to see the text of the law. It states :

(a) No person shall assemble a semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun using more than 10 of the imported parts listed in paragraph (c) of this section if the assembled firearm is prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.

Paragraph (C) defines the following parts as "countable" under the law:
    (1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings *
    (2) Barrels *
    (3) Barrel extensions
    (4) Mounting blocks (trunions) *
    (5) Muzzle attachments *
    (6) Bolts *
    (7) Bolt carriers *
    (8) Operating rods
    (9) Gas pistons *
    (10) Trigger housings
    (11) Triggers *
    (12) Hammers *
    (13) Sears
    (14) Disconnectors *
    (15) Buttstocks *
    (16) Pistol grips *
    (17) Forearms, handguards *
    (18) Magazine bodies *
    (19) Followers *
    (20) Floorplates *

These 20 items are referred to with the term "compliance parts". There are lots of other components that go into a weapon, but there are the only ones that count in terms of complying with the law.

The 16 items marked with an asterisk are the parts that are generally found on a standard AK 47. The Saiga sporter rifle, as imported, does not have a muzzle device or pistol grip, so it has 14 countable parts. A Saiga shotgun has 13 countable parts (the trunnion is considered part of the receiver) - 14 if the barrel is threaded.

So once you have done something to take your rifle or shotgun out of a "sporting" configuration, you must now make sure that your weapon has no more than 10 of these parts that are imported.

Complying with 922R
    Now the trick is making your weapon compliant with the law. To do that, you will need to replace 3 to 6 of the existing parts with components made in the US.

Here are the parts that most owners use to achieve 922R compliance:
    - Trigger
    - Hammer
    - Disconnector
    - Buttstock
    - Pistol grip
    - Handguard (upper and lower handguards on an AK only count as 1 compliance part)
    - Gas piston
    - Magazine parts (Note: body, follower and floorplate each count as 1 compliance part).

So you can see that there are plenty of ways to achieve 922R compliance. Personally, I think relying on magazine parts to meet compliance is risky: if someone puts a foreign-made magazine in your weapon, you are now in violation of Federal law. Better to use the other parts for compliance and save the magazines as a "nice to have" compliance option.
    Allstar Tactical
    AR-15 Parts & Rifles Manufacturer | Modern Military Firearms & Accessories |Optics, Knives, and Gear

Quote Originally Posted by RayKnobs View Post
    What if he when to a thumb hole stock and welded the flash suppressor on.

It would be the 1 allowed evil feature.

There are some very gray areas. It would depend on how some of the laws were interpreted, and by who.

Leaving room for interpretation is where one can get into trouble.
    Allstar Tactical

FYI about the 922(r) compliance and muzzle brakes...

The act of welding the muzzle brake on to the barrel removes it from parts count - it becomes a part of the barrel and is therefore no longer counted as an additional part; so you can use a non-US made brake and weld it on to your currently 922(r) rifle without the need to add an additional US part, likewise you can not use a US made brake that is welded as a US part towards your parts count compliance.