New York Firearms Forum banner

First Aid Training Resources?

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  RochPersDef 
#1 ·
I am thinking of buying or putting together a good first aid kit but I am wondering where I can get more information on how to use different items and the treatment of different illness and injuries beyond the regular stuff in the Red Cross Training?

I would prefer a lot of it to be online so I could learn it first then I though about taking one of the Wilderness First Aid courses to get some hands on.

This is one of the First Aid Kits I am considering.
Amp-3 Outfitter-(ROLL-UP BAG NOT SOLD SEPARATELY) - AMP-3

This video shows contents

#2 ·
Take ARC wilderness first aid and regular first aid might as well do CPR Pro/AED, emergency oxygen and the epi course. Beyond that the wilderness first responder is a great. Class.

Or.....become a cfr or EMT. If you are a member of a volunteer fire dept nys will pay for an EMT class and all others as well

Let me know if i can help i am an ARC instructor and an EMT

#3 ·
Thanks for the info, I probably can't really do the volunteer thing because I work a rotating shift schedule so long term commitments are really tough for me.

I am looking now and don't see an ARC wilderness first aid classes offered in Rochester.

I am really looking for something that will over stuff like:
Impaled objects in eye
Bad burns
severed or nearly severed fingers or limbs
gun shots or stabbing type wounds
impaled wounds in generally
stuff in eye
infection prevention

Stuff like that. Not really interested in the basic CPR stuff (granted I am expired on that) because its pretty simple and I am aware of the new changes since I took it with the 30 compressions to 2 breathes and I guess the breathes are even optional now.

#15 ·
Thanks for the info, I probably can't really do the volunteer thing because I work a rotating shift schedule so long term commitments are really tough for me.

I am looking now and don't see an ARC wilderness first aid classes offered in Rochester.

I am really looking for something that will over stuff like:
Impaled objects in eye
Bad burns
severed or nearly severed fingers or limbs
gun shots or stabbing type wounds
impaled wounds in generally
stuff in eye
infection prevention

Stuff like that. Not really interested in the basic CPR stuff (granted I am expired on that) because its pretty simple and I am aware of the new changes since I took it with the 30 compressions to 2 breathes and I guess the breathes are even optional now.
Seems like a lot of that would have been covered in your previous military common task training?
Or are you trying to get more up-to-date info if you've been out a while?

#5 ·
Yeah, I'm looking to do that soon as well. I thought there was one in southern Ohio, but I can't seem to locate it now. Will have to see what's around here.

I'd like some practical experience with:
Triage
Sterilization
Burns
Suturing
Broken Bones
Dislocations
Gun shots

#8 ·
With all of the topics listed, it sounds like you want to take an EMT class. LOL

Don't discount the volunteer fire or ambulance route. Many departments are hurting for volunteers and will work around your schedule. In addition, you would get some practical real world experience working with patients (maybe not much trauma though) and network with a new group of people who are also trained.

I see you list Monroe as your location, not sure if you are in Monroe town or Monroe county, if you are in Monroe County (Rochester area), check out Rochester Person Defense, they offer Firearms owner first aid and also list Wilderness First Aid and Survival classes: Rochester Personal Defense - SafeInRochester.com, Self Defense Classes, Firearms Training in Rochester New York
If you're in Monroe town, well, maybe an instructor down there offers a similar program.

#10 · (Edited)
These guys offer a two day class in Portland ME at end of September. I'd be interested in going (if I get a job, lol). Also, maybe we can put something together in Central NY if we get 12 or more NYF members interested?

Training

I have two of their trama kits and would like to learn how to use them...

That's a nice setup in the vid, BTW...

#12 ·
CONOPS-EMS is currently offering a Critical Incident Survival class through SDFA. I'm one of the founders of SDFA and we are handling the registration for the class, but the instructor has his own company. He has an incredible amount of experience, you can see his bio here. Later he plans on offering many more classes including wilderness first responder.

#17 ·
Hey everyone... Pretty new to this forum. I saw your thread and thought I would offer some assistance to you all. I am currently a NYS EMT. I have been an EMT for a little over 5 years. My full time job is working for a local ambulance in Monroe County. I am also a part time Firefighter in Northeast Monroe County, as well as a Volunteer Firefighter in Southeast Monroe County. I am the EMS Officer for my Volunteer Company. I am willing to get together with a group of you all to teach you some things if you guys are interested. I would not charge anything as I believe this is all skills that everyone should learn or have the ability to learn. All I would ask is that some of you teach a new CCW a few things :)

I can teach proper dressing of wounds, tourniquet usage, burn treatment and dressing, impalement skills, sucking chest wound dressing, treatment of shock, and many other skills you may want to learn. I am by no means a pro at these skills, but working in the field, I believe I have a pretty good handle.

PM me if you are interested.

#18 ·
Come see us. Plenty of varied First Aid and advanced medical courses!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.