As I look back at the process it was pretty easy except the fact that Monroe County does not provide much help. I thought I would put together the process that I went though incase someone else is looking for a few pointers.
1. Pick up an application at the County Clerk's office 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Mon-Fri. 39 W. Main St., Rochester, NY, 14614 Cost:$129.95. The application cost covers everything but your photos. You have to pick up the application IN PERSON as you have to fill out a mental health form. Go in the front doors, up the stairs and turn right, goto the information desk, have a picture ID with you. Visa, MC, cash, or personal check accepted for the amount of the application. Must have ID if you write a personal check. The clerk will staple your receipt to the first page of the packet, DO NO LOOSE THE RECEIPT. You have to present this to the Sheriffs office to get your prints done and at the Clerks office when you hand your application in.
2. Fill out the application using BLACK INK. Start with you last name in the gray box and work your way down. Don't worry about the stuff above that, its for office use. The "RACE" box confused me, its only 5 boxes long so I put WHIT for white. IMPORTANT!!! Make sure you use PERSONAL PROTECTION as a reason for getting a pistol permit. The lady at the Clerks office told me if it thats not a reason they will restrict you to hunting or target shooting only. Get 4 references IN MONROE COUNTY that your NOT related too. I called the permit office and asked if distant family members could be used and I was told "No family means NO FAMILY" And if you call the permit office it took me 2 days to hear back from them and they weren't very nice.
3. Once your application is filled out its time to get your finger prints done. You do not have to have your photos done to get your finger prints taken. Take your application to Sheriff’s Headquarters, Records Unit located in the Monroe County Public Safety Building on the Civic Center Plaza, 130 South Plymouth Avenue, Rochester, New York 14614. Phone, 585 753-4522 I parked in the Civic Center garage and followed the directions on the back of the check list thats in the application packet. The process took me about 30 minutes, they imput all your information in to the computer and then take your prints digitally and then manually.
4. Get your photos taken. I took my own photos and used this site to print them out http://www.epassportphoto.com/Wizard...try=US&photo=0 The lady at the Clerks Office said they might be a little dark but I was able to use them anyway. So if you choose to use your own, lighten them up a touch before you print them out. I used Kodak Ink-Jet photo paper and Ink-Jet printer an HP PSC 1401 to be exact. I used a Nikon D60 DSLR camera to take the picture, I just stood against a white wall in my house and had my wife take the picture. You need to have 4 2x2 pictures of yourself.
If you choose to get them done at a store avoid Wal-Mart, my friend went there and said he paid $25. Try the post office, wallgreens or the clerks office will do them.
5. Bring your receipt, finger prints, photos and application to the County Clerk's office, County Office Building, 39 West Main Street between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Mon-Fri. They will notarize your application and take the thumb print of your shooting hand when you turn everything in.
I hope this helps some people. If I missed anything let me know, and i'll edit it.