Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: People don't kill people, Markers do!

Corporal

Default People don't kill people, Markers do!

WHDH-TV - Lynn students suspended for markers weapons

WOW! The way the lead in to the story goes you'd almost believe this is a big deal, like a end of the world kinda big deal.

Here's the short story if you don't want to watch the video. Some school kids jam a push pin into the butt cap of a marker and get in trouble for it.

Sure, kids probably don't need to do it, probably shouldn't show it off in school....but come on....it's a push pin in a marker. If they don't take all the push pins out of the school, then is there really a concern?!

All the parents are going to meet with the school.....what would you tell the school if you were one of the parents?
    Rochester's Largest Fly Tying Party: Guys, Flies & Pies

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

I'd say prove that's a weapon bunghole.
    Right wing gun nut

Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by oatka View Post
    W
    All the parents are going to meet with the school.....what would you tell the school if you were one of the parents?
    I side with the school on this one. This isn't someone being suspended for bringing aspirin to school, or even bringing in a boy scout pocket knife. These kids are making shivs, and there is no justifiable purpose to having something like that in school.

3 days out for this seems very appropriate, and lesson learned for the kids.

Oh boy...we gotta start micro-stamping every thumbtack that turns up inside a marker...
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Our concern was not so much the damage it could do, but why would you even feel the need to have this," said Turmenne

Some people say that about guns, don't they.

Quote Originally Posted by firedoctor View Post
    I side with the school on this one. This isn't someone being suspended for bringing aspirin to school, or even bringing in a boy scout pocket knife. These kids are making shivs, and there is no justifiable purpose to having something like that in school.

3 days out for this seems very appropriate, and lesson learned for the kids.
    If they were attempting or it was obvious that they were intending to use them to harm someone I would agree with you. But for just making them...I tend to think a sit-down with principal would be more than sufficient.

I was a kid once...I made all sorts of little stuff that someone these days could probably say was a weapon, but I just did it because I was messing around, it was never intended to do someone harm.

Just carry a plastic toothpick with you. It's better

SAF & NRA Life Member
    USCCA Gold

what's wrong with these kids anyway, you're supposed to push the pins into the underside of the chair, duh

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by guygus3516 View Post
    what's wrong with these kids anyway, you're supposed to push the pins into the underside of the chair, duh
    Or hold it in-between your fingers and go around high-fiving people.

another reason I believe we need to fire everyone.

they don't want the kids in school, they have suspended kids for spit balls calling that a weapon. screw it close the schools.

I would tell them nothing, my lawyer would... in court... during the civil case against the school district.

then, i wouldn't have to worry about the college tuition.

Reminds me of a time when I was in school, and one of my classmates put a tack on my seat, and I sat on it (yes, it hurt), but what I didn't realize is it stuck in my pants, and I got poked a second time....
    dess likes this.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

see, thats the fun part!

You know, the cost of education is F ing ridiculous because they need 4 assistant principals whose role is to suspend kids, at a salary of 100K

The Place with the highest property tax in the country

School doesn't seem to be about education anymore.

Education isn't about 'learning' to think.

Parents don't want to parent, they want a baby sitter

Teachers want a pension, paid for by "others"

This "no child left behind" is making our children into wimps. It doesn't require a child to take responsibility for anything.

If I still had kids in school, I would home school them.
    WebsterNYtech likes this.

The United States Marine Corps:

The Insurgent Detergent(TM)!

(I was never in the military, I just think this is the best motto---ever
    I have no idea who came up with it)

You know, the cost of education is F ing ridiculous because they need 4 assistant principals whose role is to suspend kids, at a salary of 100K
    It's for the children
    Right wing gun nut

I've been storing my push pins in my markers like that for years. It's the safest place for storage so you don't get poked.

The Place with the highest property tax in the country

now that I think about it, it seems rather practical.

when your done using the pen for a few minutes simply stick it IN the top of your desk.

It keeps the thing handy and out of the way.

The United States Marine Corps:

The Insurgent Detergent(TM)!

(I was never in the military, I just think this is the best motto---ever
    I have no idea who came up with it)

Well on one hand I guess I can understand them making a point by punishing the kids, if they didn't and a week later a kid got poked in the eye by one of these then there would be a huge lawsuit.

That said, what I would like to know is who ran to the phone and made this a big deal in the news? I'll bet you 10 to 1 odds it was someone within the school. They think they are someone high and mighty that's for sure.

Until just recently I worked as an auto damage appraiser, every so often I would have to look at one of the teachers cars at a school. I hated going to a school because it never failed, I'd be in the lot looking the vehicle over and some lady would come up from behind, "Excuse me, who are you?" It got so I knew the routine and would push their buttons, "You first, who are you?" That would get them mad right off the bat LoL. Once they understood I was supposed to be there it never failed to get the parting shot, "Well we have to be careful, we have kids here" and I would reply, "Gee, I hope so, this is a school"

One day I was looking for a car that belonged to the parents but the son drove to school. I drove through a school parking lot looking for the car where the mother told me it would be but it wasn't there. Twenty minutes after I left my cell phone rings, the local police dept was on the phone wanting to know what I was doing at the school! One of the teachers took down my plate number, called the police who ran the plate, they called my home, my wife told them I was probably looking for a car and gave them my cell number. The officer laughed, he told me they had patrol cars out looking for me and my truck because "a teacher dialed 911 after seeing a suspicious vehicle drove slowly through the school parking lot" no kidding! I never even came to a stop, I just drove through the lot LoL!

Yeah, schools and teachers have forgotten what they are there for and just who pays their wages. Over the years they have put themselves on a mighty high pedestal.

http://m1collectorsclub.com
    Membership satisfies Club Affiliation for CMP Purchases!

http://www.thecmp.org The CMP ~ Civilian Marksmanship Program

Quote Originally Posted by Benellinut View Post
    Well on one hand I guess I can understand them making a point by punishing the kids, if they didn't and a week later a kid got poked in the eye by one of these then there would be a huge lawsuit.

That said, what I would like to know is who ran to the phone and made this a big deal in the news? I'll bet you 10 to 1 odds it was someone within the school. They think they are someone high and mighty that's for sure.

Until just recently I worked as an auto damage appraiser, every so often I would have to look at one of the teachers cars at a school. I hated going to a school because it never failed, I'd be in the lot looking the vehicle over and some lady would come up from behind, "Excuse me, who are you?" It got so I knew the routine and would push their buttons, "You first, who are you?" That would get them mad right off the bat LoL. Once they understood I was supposed to be there it never failed to get the parting shot, "Well we have to be careful, we have kids here" and I would reply, "Gee, I hope so, this is a school"

One day I was looking for a car that belonged to the parents but the son drove to school. I drove through a school parking lot looking for the car where the mother told me it would be but it wasn't there. Twenty minutes after I left my cell phone rings, the local police dept was on the phone wanting to know what I was doing at the school! One of the teachers took down my plate number, called the police who ran the plate, they called my home, my wife told them I was probably looking for a car and gave them my cell number. The officer laughed, he told me they had patrol cars out looking for me and my truck because "a teacher dialed 911 after seeing a suspicious vehicle drove slowly through the school parking lot" no kidding! I never even came to a stop, I just drove through the lot LoL!

Yeah, schools and teachers have forgotten what they are there for and just who pays their wages. Over the years they have put themselves on a mighty high pedestal.
    I am a substitute teacher and I agree 110% I ALWAYS feel like a criminal now in schools. 2 things I'd like to point out that happened to me:

One- I actually had a full-time teacher SLAM A DOOR IN MY FACE because "I want you to be buzzed in." (In both cases I have to walk to the office to sign in...)

Two- I started Subbing at age 20. I currently am 20. As such I knew some students. Between classes, on my break period, I was talking with a friend of mine in the classroom. I had the door shut so I could relax. My friend told me "I should head out now, they made it a rule in this school this year: NO SINGLE STUDENTS IN A CLASS WITH ANY TEACHER AT ONE TIME!" WTF!? No tutoring or private lessons now?

I hate how this world country is becoming one big bunch of pussies. We are sue-happy(I got BURNED by HOT coffee. Money please! I tripped and broke my ankle ROBBING YOUR HOUSE! Money please!), pervert happy(now ever priest, athletic coach, random person on the street, is a big pervert to be feared), and it is a joke.
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution.

Open Water Diver. Dives- ​12. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)

Stupid kids, if you take a straight pin and pull the eraser off the end of a pencil and fold up a small piece of paper, you have a nice little dart to toss across the room.

What would I do, I would meet individually with the principal and school board in private and show them what parts of the body are weapons and what kind of damage they can do. Than I would drop a huge law suit on them just to make sure every one in town know what wastes of human flesh are ruining the school system.
    45 Kills your soul.

MOLON LABE!

Sergeant

I'll give you my push pin when you take it from my cold, dead hands
    Darthgamer138 likes this.

After reading the article, I can say they are underestimating eleven year old boys for their abilities. IMHO, the kids should be punished though but I'm not sure if 3 days off is appropriate or not. A night or two in detention might be better and might make more of an impression then 3 days at home playing video games.

I gotta agree though, the schools have become paranoid about everything! When my now mid 20's sons were in school, I had no problem picking them up at the office... or just having one door unlocked for entrance. Some simple security is always in order... But it's gone a little crazy. Some districts won't even allow the kids to walk to school even if they just live down the block!

One of our employees told me her kids now have "lock down" drills in schools where the kids have to hide in the coat closets or under their desks! Geez... it's air raid drills all over again!
    The essence of freedom is the proper limitation of government. - Unknown

When I was in Middle School the cool thing were "wasps". Little pieces of paper folded up with a semi-straightened paper clip in there (pointy side out) that you would fire from a rubber band. They hurt a little, but that's what the kids did. No reason to SEVERELY PUNISH THEM THOSE HORRIBLE CRIMINALS!
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution.

Open Water Diver. Dives- ​12. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)

Id tell the teacher to go **** themselves... actually I probably wouldn't even show up to the meeting in fear of getting arrested

We used to do this in like 6th grade but we would rig pens up with springs out of mechanical pencils/ other pens to launch them across the room at each other... like a spring loaded dart gun

Quote Originally Posted by twogunwilly View Post
    I'd say prove that's a weapon bunghole.
    They would suspend you just to cover their a$$

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast