Thread: OC recommendations?

Private

Default OC recommendations?

Hey guys,

I sometimes carry a pocket canister of OC as another use of force option or because I can't CCW where I am going; I have been carrying SabreRed in a 22 gram canister. Anyone else carry this stuff, or what are your recommendations?

Also, can anyone recommend a good OC carry/tactics class?
    -marlin336

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

Default Re: OC recommendations?

Hey Marlin,

Saber makes good products. I am partial to the Punch products from Aerko out of Florida.
    http://www.wargear.info/brandname/ae...oc-sprays.html

We (MDTS) will be doing an OC/Small Impact Weapons Class in Syracuse NY sometime this fall. I think October. Keep your eyes on the training forum and I will post a course announcement once logistics are worked out.

Until then, a couple things:
    - Like your pistol, knife etc the OC has to be accessible. Access will be your biggest issuse because few people walk around with the OC in hand unless they are aware of impending assault/problems. Criminals will not allow you to be aware of them, at least not professionals who conduct business daily. They will stack the odds to favor them not you.
    - So, you need to explore having some good empty hand defense/offense skills to weather the storm so to speak in order to get time to access your tools. Something to consider.
    - Unlike your gun you CAN walk to your car in a dark parking lot with your tactical folding knife, handheld flashlight, palmstick or OC in hand when your senses tell you things are not the way they should be or you are in unknown territory. This is just good preventative medicine.
    - Remember that the OC canister can serve as an expedient impact device if you are surprised and do not have time or senses to actuate the safety catch on the dispenser.

Hope this helps!

Good luck,
    Chris

I carry a hard case keychain type thing of Sabre red. I read an independent review of OC sprays before I bought it and it was one of the more effective brands.

I saw an OC spray class offered at Gander Mountain in Henrietta, NY a while ago. Dave Jenkins of Rochester Personal Defense was teaching it. It was $50. Dave is a great guy and I had a lot of fun in his pistol basics I and II class. I've been meaning to take his OC spray class with my girlfriend actually.

His website is www.safeinrochester.com

I can't get to his sit to look at the schedule. Owned by the work filter. Weird I can get to this site though. ???
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

I'd like my wife to take a class. I bought her this Kimber spray...

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

www.mikecentola.com

Private

good points all,

chris I'll keep an eye out for your upcoming class. It is frustrating to me because my work schedule currently is not really flexible and I have precious little vacation time that I have to save. I also rarely have weekends off and my day(s) off randomly jump around every week because I act as fill-in a lot. Therefore I miss out on many great training opportunities. I have some career changes lined up for the fall, hopefully that will change my availability.

Back to the OC: My daily carry includes a folder clipped to my off-hand pocket, and usually a handgun in my strong hand 4-5 o'clock position. I added the OC over the winter when I could put it in my strong hand coat pocket and therefore have my hand on it at all times.
    In summer, I can put it in either pocket of a pair of cargo shorts and then always have it available when my hands are in my pockets.
    -marlin336

Hey....I have a pepperspray class coming up real soon. Nov 2 at the Gander mtn store in Henrietta.

Hit the site and look it up. Guaranteed lots of fun and it might even be educational too!!!

Dave

http://www.safeinrochester.com
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

The Next Evolution in Training

"Like" us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roche...61665857219329

Dave Jenkins,
    Founder, Primary Instructor: Rochester Personal Defense, LLC
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for:Well, pretty much everything!
    REAL TRAINING, FOR REAL PEOPLE, FOR REAL LIFE.

BANNED

Dave,

How bad is the weaker version of the pepper spray? How many people actually choose to get sprayed?

Not too bad, but I have been sprayed at least 10 times that I remember. I have had a few classes for the spray and have not yet run into a situation where someone did not volunteer.
    "From training comes knowledge. From knowledge comes confidence. From confidence comes triumph."

Dave Jenkins,
    NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor for:Well, pretty much everything!

Private

I have used OC to save my butt on at least two occasions. I have found that as the chess grandmaster Aron Nimzovitch once said, "The threat is stronger than the execution."

I know that is true since the time that I backed down an attacker in an empty grocery store parking lot at 2AM in Florida once with a 4oz can of OC. He was looking right down the bore which I held almost as if it were a gun with a nice Isoceles style grip. After what seemed to be an eternity, he took a step backwards and I took a step forwards... then I took one forward for his two backwards until he finally turned and walked away cursing.

Next morning I took the can of spray out in the backyard, removed the safety and pushed the button. NOTHING happened. Dead as a stone. I immediately signed up for firearms training and shortly thereafter had a .357 Magnum in my purse at all times.

I still carry OC. But NY seems to only allow the little squirt cans which are not very effective... not like a 4oz bear fogger. I count on it only for its threat value. My .45 is what REALLY protects me.
    Shoot Straight and Ride Safe!<br />Bree<br /><br />XD .45 Compact -- Ruger SP-101 .357 Mag. -- Keltec P3AT .380<br />Rock River Arms 20&quot; Varmint A4 AR-15 Ruger 10/22 Black SS<br />Mossberg 590 Mariner 12 Ga w/Knoxx SpecOps<br />HD Dyna Wide Glide<br />Patriot Guard Rider<br />Iron Butt Assoc.<br />I support McCain-Palin with CA$H!!

Corporal

Because of personal experiences with OC and other sprays, I do not recommend them,, especially in the inner city areas, or any area where drugs may influence BG's,, Oh, that's right, THAT'S EVERYWHERE,,

Also, talking with some friends in the sandbox, they are training to fight and control prisoners after getting sprayed, as the guards often use OC and other gases to control inmates, and the guards say that even the first time sprayed, they can still fight easier than they first thought,, and most inmates after they are sprayed just get more pissed off, which often makes them even stronger and more dangerous,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMttr...eature=related

Specializing in Close Quarter Combatives<br />www.LMIInc.com<br /><br />Train Hard, Be Safe<br /><br />Ron Lauinger

Looks like the officer rammed the car then sprayed him, iId be threatened to the point where i'd shoot the officer too. There are some crazy cops out there. Looks justified...

There's obviously more to it (I'd hope)

I worked some of the rural areas where the drugs and 'woodchucks' are rampant. Some of these nutcases are juts plain upredictable.

Bad officer safety by the way. Crappy approach, If he thought they were dangerous enough to ram, WTF was he doing sauntering up to just hose them down? Pin the friggin car and hold them until backup arrives, or just get the dingdongs out of the car and cuff em.

Yes, I was trained to operate under OC exposure- for the average person, you will only get a few seconds of free time to GTFO. After that, if you hang around to watch your handiwork, you're gonna get pounced on.

Dave Jenkins,

What ever happened to a good OJ Simpson chase? I guess cops can't wait to get their dougnuts and coffee.

Corporal

Unfortunately, a lot of officers, as well as civilians, think that spraying someone in the face with OC or some other chemicals, will instantly drop someone. This same fantasy is taught in many classes, by many instructors and is even popular with people who carry firearms. They believe that two shots to the chest will immediately incapacitate someone. People need to understand that there are a lot of different kinds of people out there, with different pain thrush holds,, and if you spray someone, or shoot someone, YOU MUST RE-ASSESS at a safe distance.

When I taught OC years ago, we would hold a class and ask the volunteer to react accordingly after getting sprayed…… The next day (two day course), we would then ask the same volunteer to come up, but this time I would put a $50 in my back pocket, and if he could get it, after getting sprayed, he could have it..

Boy did that initiative make a difference in everyone’s reactions.
    Specializing in Close Quarter Combatives<br />www.LMIInc.com<br /><br />Train Hard, Be Safe<br /><br />Ron Lauinger

I've done similar stuff where you have a mission to complete. Not many of us failed.

Dave Jenkins,

Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by ddan24
    Looks like the officer rammed the car then sprayed him, iId be threatened to the point where i'd shoot the officer too. There are some crazy cops out there. Looks justified...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In memory of slain Franconia Police Corporal Bruce McKay. Fallen In The Line Of Duty.
    Former Marine, Gregory W. Floyd, 49, was driving with his son along Route 116 in Franconia on Friday night when he saw Liko Kenney, 24, shoot Franconia Police Corporal Bruce McKay, 48, four times in the torso. After Kenney drove his Toyota Celica over McKay as the officer lay on the ground, Floyd grabbed the officer's service weapon and shot and killed Kenney.
    McKay gave chase in his cruiser, caught Kenney about a mile and a half down the road, and stopped his car in front of Kenney's car, forcing Kenney to stop. McKay then sprayed Kenney with OC spray, an irritant similar to pepper spray, and backed away from the vehicle, Kenney pulled out a .45-caliber handgun and shot McKay four times. As McKay stumbled across the road, bleeding, Kenney ran his vehicle over the dying officer.

Here is the whole video: (it's over seven minutes long)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMT6UV5vYF4

While you're walking in the dark parking lot, you could have your hand on your loaded .38 special snubby. Just keep it in your coat pocket. No one would know what you were doing...

BTW: I have heard from too many people to ignore it. The Kimber model is junk.

Dave Jenkins,

That sucks to hear. It's what I bought my wife for her to carry.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

www.mikecentola.com

From what I was told, it does not disperse reliably and it will not actually cause the effects required consistantly. The regular sprays are much more reliable.

Dave Jenkins,