Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Global Warming Scientists Trapped in Antarctic Ice

Default Global Warming Scientists Trapped in Antarctic Ice

This... is pretty darn funny. Global warming or not, can't help but laugh at the irony.

MSM Glosses Over Irony of Global Warming Scientists Trapped in Antarctic Ice | NewsBusters

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

And they asked the coal burning Chinese to get them out.
    Pissed Off Patriot likes this.

I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner usmcveteran's Avatar

I have been watching it a little on T.V. at work (no sound) didn't know they were global warming scientists lol. I wonder if they were also the scientists in the 70's (i believe thats the decade) that thought we were about to enter the next ice age lol

Well, this certainly is ironic. Doesn't change the reality that humans are steadfastly wrecking the environment, but it is ironic.
    Member NRA, S.C.O.P.E.
    Observing, learning, acting.
    ----------------------------------------
    Note: I am not an attorney. Nothing I have written or do write on these forums is legal advice.

LOL. But seriously they are Russians. They will probably build a city there cause its just as warm as the rest of the country.

And please, take the earth's current condition into mind. We only have one... so far, that is.
    Order without liberty and liberty without order are equally destructive.- Theodore Roosevelt
    http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/ava...ine=1395575535
    Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen.- Jeff Cooper

This is just too entertaining:

But Chris Turney, a professor of climate change at Australia’s University of New South Wales, said it was “silly” to suggest he and 73 others aboard the MV Akademic Shokalskiy were trapped in ice they’d sought to prove had melted. He remained adamant that sea ice is melting, even as the boat remained trapped in frozen seas.

I spent years studying biological sciences and I never, ever, came across a text that cited environmental carbon dioxide, as a toxin. The most prevalent "greenhouse gas" is water vapor. Other gases are of minimal consequence compared to water vapor. But, since our government cannot come up with a good way to tax water vapor, they have decided to come up with a contrived method to tax carbon dioxide.

As I like to tell the non-thinking, non-scientists, on the Left...greenhouse gasses are the primary factor in preventing the Earth from resembling a frozen pebble orbiting the sun. Sure, humans can pollute the atmosphere. But, carbon dioxide is not a toxin.

If environmental carbon dioxide (i.e. not the concentrations that you'd expect in your garage if you ran your car there with the doors and windows closed) is indeed a toxin, then we should limit Congress' carbon footprint. My suggestion: Plastic bags over the heads of members of Congress.

Just my $0.02.

BTW - I personally believe that even the "global warming" scientists know that we are actually entering a planetary cooling cycle. That is why there has been such a major push by the Leftist/Statists to enact warming-correcting policies to control populations and societies (and hence redistribute wealth on a global scale). They know that if they accomplish their goals, they'll be able to say, "See...we were right...we're now cooling as a result of our great policies and we've staved off global warming." But, they know that the converse will also hold true. If they cannot enact their bogus policies fast enough, we'll see the cooling occur anyway...and without their policies in place. Then, their whole charade will be exposed and we'll all see the fallacy of the climate change extremists.
    Last edited by Phazer; 12-30-2013 at 05:44 PM.
    Stick to your guns likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcveteran View Post
    I wonder if they were also the scientists in the 70's (i believe thats the decade) that thought we were about to enter the next ice age lol
    Probably.

Here are some covers from Time magazine:

[images removed - misleading information since images referred to energy crisis and not global climate]
    Last edited by Phazer; 12-30-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Im not saying that i believe in global warming, but i do believe that making green choices, when applicable, is the best approach to preserving what has been given to us. I'm not saying to trade your Titan for a Prius, im saying dont go dumping trash and such into the ocean, or dumping sewage into creeks.
    Order without liberty and liberty without order are equally destructive.- Theodore Roosevelt
    http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/ava...ine=1395575535
    Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen.- Jeff Cooper

General

Quote Originally Posted by Phazer View Post
    Probably.

Here are some covers from Time magazine:

1979:
    Nice try.

The 1970s Ice Age Myth and Time Magazine Covers – by David Kirtley – Greg Laden's Blog

General

And what astounds me is that a three second google search would have told you this.

Check your facts people. I know we all like to shoot, but lets not go shooting off at the mouth (keyboard) without doing a little research. If you're going to make a claim, make sure it's correct.
    ewthompson and Eternal Shogun like this.

Dammit. I thought I had a few good ones.

And...I had seen that article. I just didn't read close enough.

My bad. I recant and will edit accordingly.

Major

Personally i think Global Warming is another myth their trying to feed us just like the safe act ! I know my tin foil hat is to tight hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Temporaryscars View Post
    And what astounds me is that a three second google search would have told you this.
    Might not be quite as cut and dry as you're suggesting. What the media was reporting and what the scientists were saying may not be the same. I do remember a science teacher I had in high school saying that they were predicting global cooling in the 70s. Who "they" are wasn't specified. If the media was hyping it, how many people got that impression? Not an excuse for spreading incorrect information, but pretty sure there are some people who lived through that period of time who got the impression scientists were predicting cooling.

What were climate scientists predicting in the 1970s?

Quote Originally Posted by Stick to your guns View Post
    Im not saying that i believe in global warming, but i do believe that making green choices, when applicable, is the best approach to preserving what has been given to us. I'm not saying to trade your Titan for a Prius, im saying dont go dumping trash and such into the ocean, or dumping sewage into creeks.
    Seems pretty reasonable to me.

I hate when people go crazy over the "Liberal Media Bias", this is just a Silly article.

if you even do a little actual reading on the subject, nobody but CraZieS call it "Global Warming"!
    Real Scientists call it "Global Climate Change", its not about our weather getting warming its about our Weather getting m ore Extreme!

So guess what, that guy getting caught in an Extreme storm is not Irony!

I would say the story is Total SPIN!
    DO NOT BUY FROM AMMO SCALPERS!

Certain fundamental rights are protected by the Constitution, put outside government’s reach, including the right to keep and bear arms

The article that you cite also has some problems and presents the global warming alarmist's party line:

Because today, when there really is a consensus about climate science and 97% of climatologists agree that adding CO2 to the atmosphere is leading to climate change, only 45% of the public know about that consensus.

Global Warming Alarmists Caught Doctoring '97-Percent Consensus' Claims - Forbes
    (5/30/13)
    Either through idiocy, ignorance, or both, global warming alarmists and the liberal media have been reporting that the Cook study shows a 97 percent consensus that humans are causing a global warming crisis. However, that was clearly not the question surveyed.

Investigative journalists at Popular Technology looked into precisely which papers were classified within Cook’s asserted 97 percent. The investigative journalists found Cook and his colleagues strikingly classified papers by such prominent, vigorous skeptics as Willie Soon, Craig Idso, Nicola Scafetta, Nir Shaviv, Nils-Axel Morner and Alan Carlin as supporting the 97-percent consensus.

Cook and his colleagues, for example, classified a peer-reviewed paper by scientist Craig Idso as explicitly supporting the ‘consensus’ position on global warming “without minimizing” the asserted severity of global warming. When Popular Technology asked Idso whether this was an accurate characterization of his paper, Idso responded, “That is not an accurate representation of my paper. The papers examined how the rise in atmospheric CO2 could be inducing a phase advance in the spring portion of the atmosphere’s seasonal CO2 cycle. Other literature had previously claimed a measured advance was due to rising temperatures, but we showed that it was quite likely the rise in atmospheric CO2 itself was responsible for the lion’s share of the change. It would be incorrect to claim that our paper was an endorsement of CO2-induced global warming.”

(I, of course, cannot vouch for the editorial or scientific validity of the Forbes article. But, I am quite familiar with how survey questions can be twisted.)

Why don't they just send Gore to get them?
    Long Live NY Extremists FUAC

Quote Originally Posted by dr. Evil View Post
    why don't they just send gore to get them?
    lol!

Irony aside, I think everyone should realize that climate change (or global warming if you prefer) means that changes are occurring in the atmosphere that will alter our current climate and therefore weather conditions, e.g. more powerful tornadoes and hurricanes, shorter but more hazardous winters, etc. I have my opinions based on my own research on what is causing the change but whether you believe that it is all part of a natural cycle or man made you really cannot deny that the climate is in fact changing.
    ewthompson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Temporaryscars View Post

Check your facts people. I know we all like to shoot, but lets not go shooting off at the mouth (keyboard) without doing a little research. If you're going to make a claim, make sure it's correct.

Google shmoogle...

I was born in 66.

I remember the global cooling, as I was there:

We were trained to duck and cover against a wall, huddled together in case of nuclear attack.

It was going to get colder in the future, as the planet was cooling due to mankinds intervention.

I can assure you, these were real fears at the time.

Luckily, Woodsy Owl was there to save us.

I believe man can influence nature.
    BUT, nature can easily put out in a few days what would take man years.
    No need to worry, if man becomes too much of a problem, the Earth can quickly cleanse itself of the offending parasite.

Science can be used for profit, see also: the hockey stick graph and Al Gore. Follow the money.

One thing ALL scientists agree on: There have been ice ages before, and there will be again.

Our planet is ANYTHING but stable.
    Last edited by jonnyq; 12-30-2013 at 08:30 PM.

Captain

In 1977 we did believe we were entering a new Ice Age. I remember as a kid sitting down to watch "In Search of...the coming Ice age" narrated by Leonard Nimoy. It scared the crap out of me! Here is the show I found it on youtube: In Search Of... The Coming Ice Age - YouTube
    Last edited by doubleeddy; 12-30-2013 at 09:05 PM.
    Bigfoot likes this.

Long Live NY Extremists FUAC

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
    Why don't they just send Gore to get them?
    Because it usually gets colder and snows like a boss wherever he shows up. It's called the Gore Effect.
    WARFAB likes this.

KISS MY ASSAULT STICK, ANDY-BOY!

NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, and SCOPE Member

Sergeant

They should just call in the USMC and let them blow the hell out of the ice. I'm sure it would cost a ton of money but it would look cool on tv.

Silver Vendor

Quote Originally Posted by Phazer View Post
    This is just too entertaining:

But Chris Turney, a professor of climate change at Australia’s University of New South Wales, said it was “silly” to suggest he and 73 others aboard the MV Akademic Shokalskiy were trapped in ice they’d sought to prove had melted. He remained adamant that sea ice is melting, even as the boat remained trapped in frozen seas.

I spent years studying biological sciences and I never, ever, came across a text that cited environmental carbon dioxide, as a toxin. The most prevalent "greenhouse gas" is water vapor. Other gases are of minimal consequence compared to water vapor. But, since our government cannot come up with a good way to tax water vapor, they have decided to come up with a contrived method to tax carbon dioxide.

As I like to tell the non-thinking, non-scientists, on the Left...greenhouse gasses are the primary factor in preventing the Earth from resembling a frozen pebble orbiting the sun. Sure, humans can pollute the atmosphere. But, carbon dioxide is not a toxin.

If environmental carbon dioxide (i.e. not the concentrations that you'd expect in your garage if you ran your car there with the doors and windows closed) is indeed a toxin, then we should limit Congress' carbon footprint. My suggestion: Plastic bags over the heads of members of Congress.

Hi Phazer,

• Any element, compound or mixture can be toxic to humans, or the environment. Water (H2O) poisoning is very real, as is oxygen poisoning, as is carbon dioxide poisoning, to humans. Homeostasis requires some balance of existing elements/compounds, and outside of the required ranges, odd things can happen.

• When you speak of that stuff in your garage with doors/windows closed, I assume you are referring to carbon monoxide, which indeed, is somewhat more toxic to humans than it's cousin, carbon dioxide.

Quote Originally Posted by doubleeddy View Post
    In 1977 we did believe we were entering a new Ice Age. I remember as a kid sitting down to watch "In Search of...the coming Ice age" narrated by Leonard Nimoy. It scared the crap out of me! Here is the show I found it on youtube: In Search Of... The Coming Ice Age - YouTube
    I remember that time, it scared the crap out of me to
    doubleeddy likes this.
    NRA - SCOPE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast