New York Firearms Forum banner

CDC and the Zombie Apocalypse

20K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Tifosi 
#1 ·
CDC is on the ball on this one Preparedness 101: Zombie Apocalypse

They really need to spend some time talking about proper shot placement and caliber choice but atleast they will get people thinking...

#2 ·
Screw them!
I saw The Stand, Return of the Living Dead, Ultra Violet, and Doom so I already know what'll end up happening if some gov't agency is in charge.

I mean c'mon, the first thing they are gonna do is populate FEMA camps with sheep, *cough* sorry, people, so as to keep them all from wandering off and possibly being contaminated in the name of 'containment'. It'd be like all you can eat shrimpfest at Red Lobster in no time flat and just get ugly from there.

#5 ·
I think one of these would prolly work as well or better.
At least in the utilitarian tool, snot it, chop it, poke it with a pointy and have mass enough to bash it or hammer it besides kind of way. It also works fire hydrant and home natural gas valves too.

Seek ye info on 'SPAX' if you've interest.

#6 ·
CDC Emergency Preparedness and You:

A disaster supplies kit is a collection of basic items that could be needed in the event of a disaster. Assemble the following items to create kits for use at home, the office, at school and/or in a vehicle:

• Water-one gallon per person, per day (3*day supply for evacuation, 2*week supply for home)
  • Food-non*perishable, easy*to*prepare items (3*day supply for evacuation, 2*week supply for home)
  • Flashlight
  • Battery*powered or hand*crank radio (NOAA Weather Radio, if possible)
  • Extra batteries
  • First aid kit
  • Medications (7*day supply) and medical items
  • Multi*purpose tool
  • Sanitation and personal hygiene items
  • Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies)
  • Cell phone with chargers
  • Family and emergency contact information
  • Extra cash
  • Emergency blanket
  • Map(s) of the area
Consider the needs of all family members and add supplies to your kit. Suggested items to help meet additional needs are:

• Medical supplies (hearing aids with extra batteries, glasses, contact lenses, syringes, cane)
  • Baby supplies (bottles, formula, baby food, diapers)
  • Games and activities for children
  • Pet supplies (collar, leash, ID, food, carrier, bowl)
  • Two*way radios
  • Extra set of car keys and house keys
  • Manual can opener
Additional supplies to keep at home or in your kit based on the types of disasters common to your area:

• Whistle
  • N95 or surgical masks
  • Matches
  • Rain gear
  • Towels
  • Work gloves
  • Tools/supplies for securing your home
  • Extra clothing, hat and sturdy shoes
  • Plastic sheeting
  • Duct tape
  • Scissors
  • Household liquid bleach
  • Entertainment items
  • Blankets or sleeping bags
"Tools/supplies for securing your home"; sounds like an endorsement of firearms to me ;)

#8 ·
So... when putting extruded steel plate over windows of house and 4x4, do you think it would be better to powdercoat or paint for durability? (though I suppose one could powdercoat for durability, then paint as neccisary to suit color taste based on the whim of the missus)

And on that note, what type of accessable from the interior emergency release system for same would be advised?
I'm thinking a heavy 'hood pin' and washer arrangement in at least 6 points around the perifery as opposed to carriage bolts would probably suit. (not the 'hairpin' shaped stuff, but the one with the hog ring that flips over the post after pinning to keep it retained and a don't~lose~it~cable on each anchored to the frame)

The whole premis being that eventually the generator will run out of fuel, so any camera system would lose power if it hadn't already been taken out by 'the opposition', so that would likely negate the use of actual steel shutters as even with murder holes cut in them, the field of view would be pretty much ****, and bars are too easy to get a grapnel hook into.

#12 ·
That big garage door would have to rattle like a mo'fo with undead beating on it wouldn't it?
Not neccisarily a security issue mind you, but as they don't sleep, you'd have to think that after, oh say a week or two of non~stop 24/7 noise you'd be a bit on the batty side.

Am I mistaken, or did I miss the gun ports and murder holes?
Cameras are great, but won't make undesireables go away.

*also not fond of the method used for the cameras actually. Unless there are more subdued/camoflaged/protected ones that aren't seen, those big honkin danglers are a potential deficite should a not as dead as the rest thinking man's zombie find its way into the crowd.
Lose just 2 of the the cameras and security has to be breached to see what might be hiding on that side of the building.

Beyond that, fresh water, generator, fuel and food and I could see hanging out in there for an extended period of time.

Flipside though, for the dosh spent on concrete and hinges and motors and such, all that glass in the 'unfolded' house could have been made out of stupid thick lexan or even ballistic materials so you didn't have to fold things up onnaconna nothing would be able to get through short of mabe a vehicle plowing into it several times (dig a moat) or sustained heavy gunfire (not that the view would be all that desireable though, 'cause they're dead. they're all messed up)

#11 ·
the expanded Zombieland rules list (from wikipedia) :)

1) Cardio
2) Double tap - Ziploc bags in a deleted scene
3) Beware of bathrooms
4) Wear seatbelts
6) Cast iron skillet
7) Travel light
8) Get a kickass partner
12) Bounty paper towels
15) Bowling Ball
17) Don't be a hero
18) Limber up
21) Avoid strip clubs
22) When in doubt, know your way out
29) The buddy system
31) Check the back seat
32) Enjoy the little things
33) Swiss army knife
34) Clean socks
48) Hygiene

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.