New York Firearms Forum banner

NYS Police Departments Revoking Pistol Permits because of Anti-Anxiety Meds

105K views 458 replies 138 participants last post by  FCG LLC 
#1 · (Edited)
This is hot off the press. I have first-hand knowledge that local NYS police departments are revoking pistol permits of those who are "blown-in" by the medical community for being prescribed anti-anxiety medications (for those who are in therapy for anxiety or depression), under the gray shroud of the UNSAFE Act. This is happening now folks, and it is likely to get worse.

EVERYONE needs to be aware of this, for the sake of keeping their pistol permit in NYS. Please spread this information around - Facebook, Twitter, by every means possible. We need to get the word out as quickly as possible.

If anyone faces such an ordeal with their pistol permit, or you know anyone in the future who faces this issue, you are urged to email info@tresmondlaw.com. It doesn't matter where you are located in NY.

By all means use this thread to discuss - this is something that was mentioned as a potential major issue with the new laws signed by Cuomo, and it's becoming reality.

#4 ·
The medical community will pay a heavy price for this kind of BS, they've doing irreparable harm to Doctor/Patient confidentiality and people who actually need help will no longer seek it. I won't pretend like this is any surprise, the writing has been on the wall for some time, but I'd hoped the medical community wouldn't be complicit in the agenda. This country is truly in deep trouble.

#5 ·
This'll make for an interesting medical privacy vs Safe Act conflict.

You don't have to be crazy to live in NY but it helps.

#55 ·
Although those here are knowledgeable about the unSAFE act, physicians generally are not. Unless they have a particular interest in firearms (either for or against), they probably know very little about any requirements about reporting anything about patients' histories to legal authorities.

I have intentionally tried NOT to find out about "reporting requirements" by NYS. I figure that when my colleagues are notified, so too will I. As of this time, I have received no official communication from NYS regarding physician responsibilities under the unSAFE act.

Physicians have never been responsible for reporting people who take certain classes of medications to any authority. Frankly, without the patient's permission, that would be a serious breach of physician-patient confidentiality, not to mention a HIPAA violation. I believe the latter can be grounds for a civil action.

Physicians ARE, however, legally and ethically bound to report people who are an imminent danger to themselves or to others. Physicians are also legally and ethically responsible for reporting known or suspected child abuse. Outside of those guidelines, there are no reporting directives.

If physicians are twisting the concept of just what constitutes a "danger" based on their own political bias, they should be sued for a breach of confidentiality. Just because a person takes an anxiolytic or an antidepressant they are not necessarily a danger to anyone. Most depressed people, even those severely clinically depressed, are not a danger to anyone. Those people are much better off being on medications. And, if they are suicidal, then they don't need a firearm to kill themselves.

As far as anxiolytics, who cares if someone occasionally takes a Xanax, or Lunesta, or Ambien to calm down and get a good night's rest? Big deal.

Now...people who have been deemed psychotic (schizophrenic, violently delusional, etc) should not have firearms. They'd be too unpredictable with weapons that can inflict serious harm at a distance and with little effort.

In any event, I've spoken to many patients about firearms (including LEOs). Such history has never seemed pertinent to my medical histories and has never made it into my records.

I will uphold the oaths I've taken. I will abide by laws which are in keeping with my professional ethics. I will remain first, and foremost, an advocate for my patients. I will NOT become an agent for NYS.

#8 ·
As far as how the information is being distributed from the medical practitioners to the NYS authorities, I hope to have more details on that soon. I'll know more shortly. This is related to an individual who has retained the Tresmond firm for legal representation in this matter. It happened very recently.

#11 ·
Excellent suggestion - let's use this thread to also distribute out any other information (links, articles, etc.) related to pistol permit revocation/gun confiscation where anti-anxiety, therapy, or *any* mental health issue was a factor.

#10 ·
My Dr wanted to prescribe an anti-anxiety medication to me to help me gain weight. This is for post cancer treatment. I refused and she asked me why so I told her that with the new gun laws they will be confiscating guns from those on these types of drugs. She told me I was crazy and I just left with saying, look into the new NY Safe Act and read it.
If you have a link to a story on this I would love to see it. I'll send it to her in an email!!!!!!!

#33 ·
This is exactly the problem, you jeopardized your medical care to not infringe on your 2A rights. This is so dangerous and what a lot of people are going to choose.

#12 ·
I'm about as far away from being depressed as one can get but developed a flying anxiety a while back. I've considered getting prescribed an antianxiety med just for flying but have held off for this exact reason. I need to do a little research.

#14 ·
Exactly..... What if you had a car accident, they run your blood for alcohol while you lay unconscious in hospital. You have your sidearm on you.... You pop for anxiety mess and bam..... You firearms end up in a melting pot and you in local rag sheet paper. Not far off from what could happen.

#13 ·
ChrisWNY, I think a lawyer needs to ask the Gov or State AG if they have checked to see how many State Police Officers are on or have been on ant
anxiety medication. I expect this type of medication is pretty common among police. And if so have they removed there firearm and terminated employment?

#164 ·
...... The cases are coming in......

If you have an urgent problem, please email info@tresmondlaw.com

Max, it seems that there is more than one case of this. I was wondering if it's possible that you can indicate how many and if they are all occuring in one county ?

#19 ·
Exactly what my wife said, who is a practicing P.A. in Amherst and Buffalo. It'll be interesting in how this all plays out. It's another chance to stick a thorn in Cuomo's side...

#20 ·
Someone help me understand this;
A Dr. or Psychologist sees a patient, decides that patient needs to be perscribed Anti Anxiety drugs and then releases that patient to the streets... Same Dr or Pschologist reports this to authorities...
Authorities decide or are directed (more than likely) to refuse pistol permits.

Someone has decided that the patient is a threat and cannot possibly own/carry a handgun but the Physician or Pschologist released them into society?

I'm no lawyer but sure sounds like someone is at fault here. Does this not sound like grounds for a law suit? Malpractice? If I'm that dangerous how could the physician release me?

Oh wait... maybe, just maybe this is back door Gun control at its finest.

Please feel free to correct me where I am wrong.

#25 ·
what a shame. people who truly need help will no longer seek it for fear of being labelled and having their firearms taken from them. I truly hope that everyone who gets abused by the system and has had their permits taken and firearms confiscated not only get their permits/firearms back but that they win a civil suit against the state too.

#27 ·
Everyone rallys around helping sick people, but we can't take guns away from sick people? Why should we not take guns away from them? Mass murderers are usually on one of these anti-depressive drugs. Where do you draw the line? No confiscation at all? Regardless if the person is a felon or mentally ill?

#28 ·
people who suffer from anxienty are not mentally ill. and there are plenty of other examples that could be given. we are not looking to defend people who are psychotic's, or criminally insane.

#34 ·
Think of all the guys that stop at the local gin mill on the way home from work and have a couple of whatever's to accomplish the same end as those folks going to a doctor. Bartenders will be the next ones tapped in this big brother atmosphere of fear. Why, its the only growth market in the state! Maybe we should get some tanks and really tear up the lawn!
Robin

#36 ·
In a way this is GREAT, GREAT NEWS, and here is why.

Any doctor worth their salt (few) and not some Big Pharma drug pusher (many), know that the largest studies carried out by the most respected peer edited/reviewed medical journals in the world like the Lancet, and JAMA, prove that anti-depressants for the vast majority of people do more harm than good, they DO NOT solve or help mild depression and only help 1/3 of the time in the most severe of depression cases and even that was paltry. Anxiety drugs are also pencil-whipped WAY TOO much, especially by GPs, according to the same journals.

Get on the google, YouTube Dr. Oz, read the Lancet, there are many other natural remedies that are cheaper, have greater efficacy, and will yield longer term positive results, w/o the crazy side effects of Big Pharma's useless "little helpers."

#38 ·
know that the largest studies carried out by the most respected peer edited/reviewed medical journals in the world like the Lancet, and JAMA, prove that anti-depressants for the vast majority of people do more harm than good, they DO NOT solve or help mild depression and only help 1/3 of the time in the most severe of depression cases and even that was paltry.

Get on the google, YouTube Dr. Oz, read the Lancet, there are many other natural remedies that are cheaper, have greater efficacy, and will yield longer term positive results, w/o the crazy side effects of Big Pharma's useless "little helpers."
Where do you get this research from? Anyone that takes a "natural remedy" is playing with fire if they actually need something because those aren't consistent from bottle to bottle. Arsenic is natural, it doesn't make it good for you.

#37 ·
if enough people stopped going to doctors out of fear of having their rights stripped away that means less doctor visits so doctors will feel this financially. additionally, the pharmaceutical companies will stop selling as many drugs and they will feel it too. perhaps they both will put political pressure on government officials because it will hurt their wallet in the long run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.