Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: NYS safe act law enforcement exemption ?

  1. #1
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Niagara County
    Posts
    207

    Default NYS safe act law enforcement exemption ?

    Has law enforcement been exempt ? I went to a gun show today and a guy had 3 AR 15's for sale to law enforcement only. He said law enforcement was exempt 3 days after the law was passed, has anyone else heard this ? I was under the impression they are still not exempt.
    If law enforcement is exempt, then I could legally sell an AR to someone in law enforcement right ?

  2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!
  3. #2
    General Bob11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    6,229

    Default

    Nope, I haven't heard that they were *officially* exempt. It's nice because despite what the law says people just assume they're exempt...when they're not, which means they are breaking the law. Funny thing the law...isn't it? I always thought it applied to everyone equally until recently.

    I can't even type that **** eating asswipes name without getting pissed off.
    I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country

    Deo et Patrić

    Caedite eos! Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

  4. #3
    General Shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Onondaga County
    Posts
    8,332

    Default

    I think Bob11 is right, there have been no amendments yet and LEOs were not exempted by anything. Talked to two LEOs today and they both said their carry now is illegal. And they both stressed NO LEOs support the law.
    Last edited by Shooter; 03-09-2013 at 06:21 PM.

  5. #4
    Major
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NYS
    Posts
    1,186

    Default

    There is no reason why retired LEO should be exempt. I understand the argument is that they could run into someone they put in jail etc;. But think about that reasoning, if they could run into someone armed and needing more then 7 or 10 rounds so could anyone. Why do retired LEO have more rights then the ordinary citizen to defend themselves.

  6. #5
    General Darthgamer138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    13,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    there is no reason why any leo should be exempt.
    ftfy
    mreaston likes this.
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution.

    Open Water Diver. Dives- ​12. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)


  7. #6
    Major
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NYS
    Posts
    1,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darthgamer138 View Post
    ftfy
    Do you feel that way for on duty or just off duty?

  8. #7
    General Darthgamer138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    13,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobD View Post
    Do you feel that way for on duty or just off duty?
    Both. If we don't "need" X rounds to defend lives, they certainly don't. That fact that "off-duty" was included in the last one is beyond laughable.
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution.

    Open Water Diver. Dives- ​12. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)


  9. #8
    Major
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NYS
    Posts
    1,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darthgamer138 View Post
    Both. If we don't "need" X rounds to defend lives, they certainly don't. That fact that "off-duty" was included in the last one is beyond laughable.
    It would be nice to use that argument in court to throughout the law. I do not believe the last law was ever challenged. But I do not see on duty LEO being forced to carry X amount of rounds then they currently carry. Which leads to everyone should be able to carry X number of rounds.
    Hopefully this all gets settled in court.

  10. #9
    Private
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Westchester
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Is the exemption that they want to put in going to be for on duty only? I don't see why a off duty cop should be able to purchase a ar that I can't purchase. Most cops ( at least in nyc) are trained and qualify with only 9 mm handguns at the range at Rodmans Neck ...so why should that allow them to be able to buy and own a ar that nobody else can own?

  11. #10
    Sergeant
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Chenango
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bench33 View Post
    Is the exemption that they want to put in going to be for on duty only? I don't see why a off duty cop should be able to purchase a ar that I can't purchase. Most cops ( at least in nyc) are trained and qualify with only 9 mm handguns at the range at Rodmans Neck ...so why should that allow them to be able to buy and own a ar that nobody else can own?
    because they want to buy votes, and they want the cops on their side if we get uppity.
    Doc8404 likes this.

  12. #11
    General Darthgamer138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    13,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bench33 View Post
    Is the exemption that they want to put in going to be for on duty only? I don't see why a off duty cop should be able to purchase a ar that I can't purchase. Most cops ( at least in nyc) are trained and qualify with only 9 mm handguns at the range at Rodmans Neck ...so why should that allow them to be able to buy and own a ar that nobody else can own?
    Exactly. It was like this before too and I strongly opposed it then too. People buying BX-25 mags abusing their privilege and such.
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution.

    Open Water Diver. Dives- ​12. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)


  13. #12
    Major
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    NYS
    Posts
    1,186

    Default

    Something is changing for retired LEO at least from NYPD. They will need to pass a NICS check every 5 years, that was never the case. When you retired your carry permit was for life. No longer. And you need to appear in person. So what I believe happened is Cuomo jumped the gun by passing the SAFE ACT with no exemptions for LEO, I think the plan was to do just that but the timing was wrong and the reaction by both the public and LEO screwed thing up. The writing is on the wall!

  14. #13
    Major OCNYBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Orange County NY
    Posts
    1,848

    Default

    I so want Cuomo & Skelos to eat crow on this......
    “When the law disarms good guys, bad guys rejoice.”

  15. #14
    Corporal
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Niagara County
    Posts
    207

    Default

    I am not really against a law enforcement exemption in respect to their job has them going up against some very well armed criminals on duty and can easily be a target of a criminal they arrested or testified against who would just as soon come after them or their family when they are off duty. LEO's put their life on the line everyday, they could pull a guy over for a traffic stop and it turns out the guy is wanted for a felony, rape, murder whatever. How desperate is he to get away ? Will he shoot or kill the LEO ? I can definitely see an LEO needing 13 rounds or more. Every LEO that I know is carrying a full mag and God Bless them, they want to go home to their family at the end of their shift too.
    However to limit the law abiding citizen is just wrong, its wrong because we could have the same felon breaking into our homes or we could have a home invasion of however many assailants 2, 3, 4 or more.
    This entire law needs to be repealed because it does no good for anyone.
    Dawgkilla likes this.

  16. #15
    Sergeant rochram_1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wayne Co
    Posts
    315

    Default

    If anyone is against LEO being exempt, try working the streets of any large city....San Diego and LA especially. Working the Gang Unit I saw better equipped street bangers than VC in country. When you blow out a banger crib and you leave carrying out anything from 50 cal machine guns, AK 47s, hand grenades and friggin ground to air missiles THEN and only then do you have any knowledge of why there should be exemptions for LEO.
    Reno likes this.

  17. #16
    Major Dawgkilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Erie County
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,246

    Default

    I don't agree with the un-SAFE act (it should be tossed out) but I don't believe any section of the population should be exempt. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
    Loves to hunt, fish and spend time with his kids.
    NRA Lifetime and SCOPE member.
    NYFirearms Extremist!

  18. #17
    General Darthgamer138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    13,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rochram_1968 View Post
    If anyone is against LEO being exempt, try working the streets of any large city....San Diego and LA especially. Working the Gang Unit I saw better equipped street bangers than VC in country. When you blow out a banger crib and you leave carrying out anything from 50 cal machine guns, AK 47s, hand grenades and friggin ground to air missiles THEN and only then do you have any knowledge of why there should be exemptions for LEO.
    Cool story. What about the family that lives in the woods where the gang activity is starting to migrate as it lessons the chance of getting caught? When you have to defend your family when the cops are 20 minutes away THEN and only then do you have any knowledge as to why a cops life is worth any more then my family's.
    Bench33 likes this.
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution.

    Open Water Diver. Dives- ​12. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)


  19. #18
    Sergeant rochram_1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wayne Co
    Posts
    315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darthgamer138 View Post
    Cool story. What about the family that lives in the woods where the gang activity is starting to migrate as it lessons the chance of getting caught? When you have to defend your family when the cops are 20 minutes away THEN and only then do you have any knowledge as to why a cops life is worth any more then my family's.
    When you go out in the public with a badge on and become a target to every lunatic you might feel different about things , then maybe not. The reason for the exemption is so LEO might have a better chance against crime than the criminals have against them. If you live in "the woods" and the gangs are at you house man, you are screwed no matter how many guns you have. Your ass ass is getting burned out of that house no matter how many guns you have..or they storm your place killing everyone and guess what happens to all the weapons you have....yep now they are in the gangs possession. Just no logic with you and your thinking....but hey, that is what it is great about the country...being able to think as you like and voice it without justification of fact or logic.
    mark60 likes this.

  20. #19
    General Shooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Onondaga County
    Posts
    8,332

    Default

    Originally Posted by Darthgamer138


    Cool story. What about the family that lives in the woods where the gang activity is starting to migrate as it lessons the chance of getting caught? When you have to defend your family when the cops are 20 minutes away THEN and only then do you have any knowledge as to why a cops life is worth any more then my family's.


    Quote Originally Posted by rochram_1968 View Post
    When you go out in the public with a badge on and become a target to every lunatic you might feel different about things , then maybe not. The reason for the exemption is so LEO might have a better chance against crime than the criminals have against them. If you live in "the woods" and the gangs are at you house man, you are screwed no matter how many guns you have. Your ass ass is getting burned out of that house no matter how many guns you have..or they storm your place killing everyone and guess what happens to all the weapons you have....yep now they are in the gangs possession. Just no logic with you and your thinking....but hey, that is what it is great about the country...being able to think as you like and voice it without justification of fact or logic.
    You both have valid points. Simple fact is both LEOs and citizens should have the right to defend themselves with whatever God damn magazines they want, especially ones they legally owned before this BS law was passed!
    jc650, Dawgkilla and go4soda like this.

  21. #20
    Sergeant rochram_1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Wayne Co
    Posts
    315

    Default

    [







    You both have valid points. Simple fact is both LEOs and citizens should have the right to defend themselves with whatever God damn magazines they want, especially ones they legally owned before this BS law was passed![/QUOTE]

    Then why did we have a 10 rd limit in NY when other states had larger mag limits? How did that happen? We not only lost the 10 rd limit but the pre ban mags. Seems like we are losing more and more. Only one reason for this.....look at the people we as a country are electing or re electing. Pelosi, Reid, Obama, Feinstein, Obama, Biden, Bloomberg!!! Does not look like the chip count is going our way if you ask me. What is my point here?....It is that MY point or YOUR point or ANYONE ELSE IN HERE what we think makes no difference at all. If it did why did the damn bill pass in the first place? Wake up people it is because we are losing ground on this right and even the so called defenders of gun rights Republican party, are more worried about how they look to the majority of the voters on this subject ....and hate to burst a lot of bubbles in here but that ain't us!!! Hell with the last few elections I do not know if voting can help anymore....seems like the entire process is rigged anymore. Friggin Democrats wining in districts that have mroe deer than registered Democrats.....something is just not right, or people are losing their braincells with every free handout a politican gives them. Food stamps for freedoms....now that is one hell of a trade off!!!!

  22. #21
    Major fullmags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    orange county
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rochram_1968 View Post
    If anyone is against LEO being exempt, try working the streets of any large city....San Diego and LA especially. Working the Gang Unit I saw better equipped street bangers than VC in country. When you blow out a banger crib and you leave carrying out anything from 50 cal machine guns, AK 47s, hand grenades and friggin ground to air missiles THEN and only then do you have any knowledge of why there should be exemptions for LEO.

    Can you link me to any news article where gangs had 50 cal machine guns, ground to air missiles, and such? I want to read them. Thats interesting. If they have that stuff...I defenitly want more firepower!!
    Bench33 likes this.
    Chief of Unicorn and Rainbows Division

  23. #22
    General Darthgamer138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    13,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rochram_1968 View Post
    When you go out in the public with a badge on and become a target to every lunatic you might feel different about things , then maybe not. The reason for the exemption is so LEO might have a better chance against crime than the criminals have against them. If you live in "the woods" and the gangs are at you house man, you are screwed no matter how many guns you have. Your ass ass is getting burned out of that house no matter how many guns you have..or they storm your place killing everyone and guess what happens to all the weapons you have....yep now they are in the gangs possession. Just no logic with you and your thinking....but hey, that is what it is great about the country...being able to think as you like and voice it without justification of fact or logic.
    Did you seriously just say that it doesn't matter how many rounds you have in a mag for a civilian (...or "guns you have"), but not if your are a LEO, and THEN comment on no logic...O_o

    People CHOOSE to be LEOs. Not everyone CHOOSES to live in bad areas.
    Last edited by Darthgamer138; 03-10-2013 at 03:05 AM.
    fullmags and Bench33 like this.
    ​Proud NRA LIFETIME Non-​Member. Don't just support PART of the constitution.

    Open Water Diver. Dives- ​12. Any Dive Buddies out there? :-)


  24. #23
    Major fullmags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    orange county
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rochram_1968 View Post
    If you live in "the woods" and the gangs are at you house man, you are screwed no matter how many guns you have. Your ass ass is getting burned out of that house no matter how many guns you have..
    You have not spent enough time with us folks who live in the woods. Its not about how many guns we have, it about having enough rounds and skills to defend yourselves. When is the last time a gang came out to the woods and burned someone out of their home and stole their guns? Are you watching a lot of movies?? No one said the cops were not on their way, its just that they take a while to get there.You are the only defense you have for X amount of time.
    Darthgamer138 and Bench33 like this.
    Chief of Unicorn and Rainbows Division

  25. #24
    Private jc650's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Erie
    Posts
    91

    Default

    One of the major problems is the public perception of law enforcement in general. The media and politicians build these people up to near mythical status in many cases with quotes of "experts in weapons and tactics", "highly trained" etc etc which is ridiculous and unfair to law enforcement. Most LEO's are average ordinary every day people not the "im a cop 24 hrs a day carrying a small arsenal around" like people think. Im not bashing law enforcement as I am in public safety but not a police officer. The armorer or swat members of a department might be experts but most rank and file police officers qualify 2x a year in NYS. The fact is many citizens( probably a lot here) train far more frequently and are just as competent if not more competent than some LEO's in handling a firearm. A firearm is a just 1 tool of many the everyday patrolman carries. I believe they should have the best equipment to make sure they come home safely everyday just as I believe I have the right to protect my family by any means necessary and should be afforded the ability to own the same equipment. This government seems intent on making differnet tiers of citizens like a monarchy and its disturbing and scary that more people arent outraged about this.
    Malcontent likes this.

  26. #25
    Sergeant Clancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sullivan County
    Posts
    320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rochram_1968 View Post
    If anyone is against LEO being exempt, try working the streets of any large city....San Diego and LA especially. Working the Gang Unit I saw better equipped street bangers than VC in country. When you blow out a banger crib and you leave carrying out anything from 50 cal machine guns, AK 47s, hand grenades and friggin ground to air missiles THEN and only then do you have any knowledge of why there should be exemptions for LEO.
    Isn't that why there are SWAT Teams? No cop is going to go into a "banger crib" unsupported. Nor is anyone saying cops should not have the equipment they need while on the job. Perhaps you can explain why, when you are off duty, you need an AR or AK, with 30 round mags
    that the rest of us can't have. Are you one of those who feels that all are equal, but as a cop you are more equal than the rest of us?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Law enforcement exemption for Assault weapon ban
    By gleck in forum Laws and Politics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-21-2013, 11:59 AM
  2. LEO Exemption in AWB Bill
    By Rubline in forum Firearms in the News
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 12:53 AM
  3. C and R exemption?
    By DeathMetalAccountant in forum Laws and Politics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-15-2013, 10:04 PM
  4. LEO/Military exemption under 265.20
    By joel.favre in forum Laws and Politics
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 12-19-2011, 02:22 PM
  5. NRA-ILA: Clinton gets gun ban exemption
    By nyfirearms in forum News Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 12:21 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •