Thread: Residency requirement for application of pistol/unrestricted carry license

Private

Default Residency requirement for application of pistol/unrestricted carry license

Newbie here.

I will be moving to one of the towns outside or on the edge of Rochester from the state of Utah for college.

I hold a Utah resident CHL with Florida CCW license pending (49 days and counting).

I have NRA Basic Pistol certification after the course taken last May.

I know Monroe County government requires that I must reside in the county for at least six months prior to applying for a pistol possession permit, wait a while and then apply for "unrestricted" carry license.

I will probably keep Utah driver license until it's close to expiration date (my birthday) later this year, then go to DMV to change to 'enhanced' NYS driver's license. Unless there is a state law that requires me to exchange driver license after 30 days. I will have documentation that I paid rent with a dated receipt starting August along with a college ID.

Would it help facilitate the application process for pistol permit by obtaining the certificate of residence after meeting the time frame of residency establishment? Is there a state law or county ordinance that specifies the recognition of residency or was it an unwritten rule?

I understand applying for unrestricted (or target shooting/hunting) carry license will require that I have at least 4 references who has known me in the county plus 3 references from a former home state for an applicant with less than 3 years residence. Does this apply to pistol possession applicant or are the rules slightly different with fewer references, in-county or out of state?

Would showing the proof of a certified police report documentation of me being an assault victim as a former resident in Arizona, plus xeroxed copies of NRA Basic Pistol certification and updated Utah and Florida non-resident carry permits be enough to improve the odds of gaining a pistol possession permit that leads to eventual obtainment of unrestricted license, with fewer (less than 4 in-county + 3 out of state) valid references?

Or is the county requirement criteria strict regardless of documentation to demonstrate my understanding and intent to abide by NY state laws governing firearms in safety, handling, storage and carrying?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

Default Re: Residency requirement for application of pistol/unrestricted carry license

I'm not sure what you mean by a pistol "possession" license. NY state has two types of permits. A premises permit and a carry permit. You don't want to apply for a premesis permit, that's for a business owner that wants to keep one in his shop or something. You'd want a concealed carry permit.

Monroe county issues an unrestricted carry permit to everyone without having to show excessive need. At least I don't know anyone with restrictions in the county. It's not like some other counties that issue a restricted permit to everyone or make you take a class after getting it and then apply for an amendment to have restrictions removed.

A restricted permit is the same type of permit as an unrestricted permit. Both are carry permits. It's just that some counties stamp administrative restrictions on them (hunting/target or similar). Monroe county is not one of them. You should be able to apply after 6 months and get an unrestricted carry permit. Make sure to put personal protection as one of the reasons you are applying on your application.

I'm not sure about residency requirements though. You can apply after 6 months of residency here with 4 references here plus 3 from your previous place of residence like you said. By the way, your 3 references from UT will have to be notarized. I don't know if you have to have a NY drivers license. I would call the pistol office and ask them.

I know you're required to change your drivers license to a NYS license after so many days. I think it's 10 days but I'm not 100% positive. I'm not sure if you're moving here permanently or if you have a permanent residence back in UT. When I came here for college I never changed my address with the DMV because I considered my permanent residence back where I came from. I changed it with the DMV when I got a job offer in Rochester and decided to stay permanently after graduation. No idea if what I did was legal or not.

The pistol office phone number is 585 753-1642.

NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

Private

Default Re: Residency requirement for application of pistol/unrestricted carry license

You'll have to excuse my misconception.

I thought pistol possession permit is separate from carry permit, because I assumed pistol possession permit is equal to premise permit.

From what I interpreted your statement, the pistol possession permit is the same as carry permit, with two option whether requested by self or at authorities' discretion: target shooting/hunting or unrestricted carry.

How do I get three "reliable" references from a former residence notarized? Do I have to ask the persons who know me to write a short letter stating my character and have it notarized by a public notary at the local bank? Should the notarized character reference letters be sent directly to the issuing authority by postal mail or can I receive the notarized letters to file until six month residency requirement is met when I provide the letters to the authority?

Here is web link on Monroe County pistol possession permit. It did not mention the topic of carry permit either separate or integrated in the possession license.

To answer your question, I may plan to stay in upstate New York whether I graduate or not. I lived in Provo, Utah County, Utah for the combined 10 years and it's time for me to move. I know New York state is generally anti-2A because of NYC political machine (ditto Illinois-Chicago and Trenton-New Jersey, two of the worst states in the nation in terms of restricted firearm, weapon and personal defense rights) and when I do become a resident, I will be a vigilant citizen and will write letters to U.S. Senators and local U.S. representative of NY concerning the sensitive issues related to personal freedom and liberty accorded by the U.S. and New York State Constitution.

The application is the same for a premises or a carry permit too. There are the two choices near the top with a check box near each for you to choose which you want.

Your four references that have known you since you moved to Monroe county go right on the permit application. The three from your previous state will go on a separate form they give you with your application. I don't remember if it comes with the application packet or if you have to ask for it separately. I remember the form had room for two people to sign so you'll need to copy it. If you're doing it by mail you'll probably send one copy to each reference.

I have a copy of that form around here somewhere but if I remember right it has some sentence printed on it and your reference just has to write their name and I think address then there is a place for a notary. I think the line that is printed on it is something to the effect of "I ___________ swear that the applicant ________ is of good moral character." Something like that. I don't recall them having to write anything in their own words.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer