New York Firearms Forum banner

Gun owners willing to part with "black guns"

12K views 94 replies 69 participants last post by  rnemhrd 
#1 ·
I have coffee with a good crowd of gun owners. Talking about new gun laws and most of them are more than willing to throw the black guns under the buss to keep theirs. Most see no reason for anyone to have an AK/AR let alone 30 round mags or even 10 round guns as in SKS. If gun owners can't stick together any better than this we are all SOL.

#3 ·
That's pretty common out there. I hear that all the time. They are being pretty short sighted.

#5 ·
Well the ban being talked about includes the M1 Carbine, and other semi autos that accept a detachable magazine.

#6 ·
Bravo Company had a good post on their FB page talking about this:

Please share this information on your FaceBook page in the hope that other folks in the “I support the 2nd Amendment, but don’t want people to have AR15 rifles” crowd get a better real understanding of the issues at stake.
If we don’t get these folks involved and on our side, the 2nd Amendment will eventually be completely eroded. There is so much misinformation put out there by the gun-grabbers and then repeated by the media. Let's take a moment to clear up some of that misinformation.

1) Civilian AR-15 rifles are NOT the same automatic weapons the Military has. The military has fully automatic weapons. Civilian AR-15s in production today do NOT. They shoot one shot per trigger pull, just like a semi auto hunting rifle. I know often the when the media makes commentary they show B-roll video in the background of a machine gun shooting and spraying, but that is not how civilian AR-15 rifles operate.

2) Civilian AR-15 rifles (or similar) has the same type of internals as your semi auto deer rifle. Civilian type "assault" rifles function the exact same way as deer hunting rifles. They just look different.

3) Even the term “assault” rifle is gun grabber sensationalism parroted by the media. “Assault” weapons are fully automatic (select fire), and they have been heavily regulated since the 1930s, and civilian manufacturer has been completely outlawed almost 30 years ago!!

4) ”AK-47s” have already been banned from manufacture from civilians, also almost 30 years ago. Again the civilian look-a-like rifles have the same type of semi auto internals as your hunting rifle. Different cosmetics, same type of mechanics.

5) An AR15 (or similar) is NOT a “high powered rifle”. I guess it depends on what you want to categorize as “high power”, but these rifles shoot some of the smallest rifle cartridges in the market. Deer rifles are a LOT more powerful than any of these rifles. And soon the gun-grabbing crowd will recategorize your deer rifle as a “high powered sniper rifle”. That is how this political movement works.

6) A hunting shotgun is a LOT more lethal in these close quarter mass killings of unarmed innocent people than any semi auto rifle. Anyone with extensive firearms training and experience will confirm that.

The politicians know these new laws will NOT stop these types of mass killings. They even admit it! But they want to pass them anyway because it serves their greater mission of effectively neutering the second amendment. The leaders in this movement actually DON’T WANT these laws to work (even if they would) because when they are shown ineffective, they now have the political momentum to pass more ineffective laws, and grab more guns.

This is all part of a broader gun grab, done slowly, in increments, over time, until the Second Amendment is just a bunch of meaningless outdated words on an old piece of parchment.

When a sociopath chooses that shotgun or hunting rifle in the next horrific event, you are the legislature’s next target.

The philosophy of “We need to pass more laws to stop sociopathic criminals from breaking our laws” is effective because most Americans are not really paying attention to these details. (Please read that line twice) Please help to educate the public with this information.

Also it should be noted, the 2nd Amendment has NOTHING to do with hunting, fishing, competitive shooting, “sporting purposes”, racquet ball, swimming, camping, etc. The 2nd Amendment (and the entire Bill of Rights) is to preserve a balance of power between the citizens and their government.

#10 ·
...nor does the president, nor the judiciary. The only way a modification can be made is by LEGAL means - an amendment can be repealed by a states convention after a two thirds majority of CONGRESS proposes the amendment (which would repeal another amendment): lookup the 21st amendment - repealed the 18th amendment which was Prohibition.
Here's an Interesting view of the issue: Repeal of the 2nd Amendment would not Abolish any Right - Tenth Amendment Center
Essentially, the right to keep and bear arms, or any other right for that matter, is NOT granted the people by their government and therefore cannot be taken away or abolished.

#14 ·
My stepfather unfortunately feels the same way, which was a big surprise to me. He seems to think ar15s aren't necessary for anything and that only nuts want to have a military styled rifle. You'd be surprised how many gun owners really feel this way. The "If it doesn't affect me I don't care" mentality is pretty strong too.

#19 ·
I've had too many say that...."no one but police and military need them...."
They forget that this is just the beginning of taking away our rights.
Who needs an SUV?
or a pickup unless you own a business!
"Sorry, without a DBA, you can't buy a truck. We have some nice Priuses over here for you to look at. One color only...step this way kind Sir."

#17 ·
Start referring to their hunting rifles as "sniper rifles" that only an assassin would use and shotguns as "indiscriminate crowd-killers" preferred by lunatic mass-murderers. See if it dawns on them the word game that is being played by those using the term "assault rifle".

#18 ·
I was at Gander in New Hartford and an older gent was talking to the guy behind the counter.
"I'm buying a revolver because when they outlaw the semi-automatic pistols, i don't want something that isn't worth anything and I know this (revolver) will be worth something."

I wanted to scream......

#23 ·
Hey ... I don't really NEED an AR 15.
But when they come to take away my Constitutionally guaranteed rights, well ... then I'm going to NEED it.

#24 ·
Those people are known as Fudds. They don't care what happens as long as nobody messes with their hunting rifles and shotguns. Well guess what Elmer, that hunting rifle is soon to be a "high powered sniper rifle". We either stand together or surely hang separately. These are the same guys that are bitching ab out EBR's at various ranges. When will they wake up? Probably never unfortunately.

#31 ·
I belong to SAF, SCOPE, NRA, NYSRPA, and more.
I have been fighting this type of apathy for years.
It is really a result of the desired outcome of the ANTI Gun Zealots.
Divide - Sub divide and divide em up again.
Olde timers are just as bad as anyone.
"Why should I give a crap if they wanna ban .50 cal's. Who in the hell needs a 50cal?"
Well butt head your 20 ga is a 50 cal.
I work gunshows trying to get people to join SCOPE for a measly $20.00 a year.
No one in SCOPE gets paid, they are all volunteers.
The cost of one box of ammo per year and it is like pulling teeth.

I tend to agree with you that we are SOL this time.

#34 ·
most of them are more than willing to throw the black guns under the buss to keep theirs. .
They do not realize the incrimental nature of the anti crowd. It is AR/AK and 30 round magizines today, then it is anything but singlle shot speciality target rifles and shotgun...then it is any gun...Good examples are Great Briten and Australia.

Is that what they really want? If they do not stand up for the AR/AK crowd, do they really expect the AR/AK crowd to stand up for them when it is their turn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.