Thread: FAL Magazines for Rock River LAR 8 (.308 / 7.62x51)

Private

Default FAL Magazines for Rock River LAR 8 (.308 / 7.62x51)

My brother bought a really nice RRA LAR 8 and dropped some serious cash on it. Only problem is that the 10 round mag stinks and often gives double-feeds and mis-feeds. I haven't given him a birthday gift in a couple decades and I know that this gun accepts FN FAL mags.

Anyhow, are these mags legal in NY? They are pre ban, however I wanted a second opinion, just in case....

2 Vintage Thermold FAL Magazines Pre Ban : Rifle Magazines & Rifle Clips at GunBroker.com

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

They're dated 88 & 89 so their good to go, BUT you may want to contact the seller to see if he will ship to NY.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
    --George Patton-

Almost all steel FAL magazines are pre-bans, with the exception of anything DSA had produced since '94. I don't think I'd go for those thermold ones. Standard steel metric pattern mags are easily available and affordable enough. It's the Inch patterns that are harder to find (but as I understand it the LAR 8 uses metric pattern mags anyway )

Private

Quote Originally Posted by hexidismal View Post
    Almost all steel FAL magazines are pre-bans, with the exception of anything DSA had produced since '94. I don't think I'd go for those thermold ones. Standard steel metric pattern mags are easily available and affordable enough. It's the Inch patterns that are harder to find (but as I understand it the LAR 8 uses metric pattern mags anyway )
    Thanks for the heads up. Should I pass on these mags because the material (zytel nylon) indicates that they are not really pre-ban, or because the material is sub standard? Yes, I heard that the LAR 8 takes metric and inch. These look better but are more expensive.....

Pre Ban RFB, FAL Mag Like New Teflon Coated : Rifle Magazines & Rifle Clips at GunBroker.com

Major

Entreprise Arms 14.99 each

Quote Originally Posted by loubanner View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Should I pass on these mags because the material (zytel nylon) indicates that they are not really pre-ban, or because the material is sub standard?
    Oh, I didn't mean to say that they weren't pre-ban. I'm sure they are, but I just don't think that those are the most desirable of mags. Just from looking at them they don't appear to have any kind of steel inserts, and when you're talking 'vintage' thermold/plastic/zytel/etc mags there's a lot of chance of developing flared lips in thier old age. I also just know (from the FAL forums) that they aren't at all popular among those in the know. There's probably a good reason for that. It's just my opinion, but standard steel surplus mags would probably be better choice.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by hexidismal View Post
    Oh, I didn't mean to say that they weren't pre-ban. I'm sure they are, but I just don't think that those are the most desirable of mags. Just from looking at them they don't appear to have any kind of steel inserts, and when you're talking 'vintage' thermold/plastic/zytel/etc mags there's a lot of chance of developing flared lips in thier old age. I also just know (from the FAL forums) that they aren't at all popular among those in the know. There's probably a good reason for that. It's just my opinion, but standard steel surplus mags would probably be better choice.
    Ok, thank you. All good info. Much appreciated.

Private

Quote Originally Posted by llink78 View Post
    Entreprise Arms 14.99 each
    Excellent thanks. I tried ordering on the website but it didn't allow me to. Going to give them a call Monday to see if I can order over the phone. Thanks!