New York Firearms Forum banner

XDm legal in NY yet???

Tags
legal xdm
10K views 64 replies 23 participants last post by  BCWhite13 
#1 ·
Does anybody know if they are gonna allow the XDm in NY yet???

I know they sell the .45 but any word on the 9 or 40cal compact or full size???

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The pistol itself is legal, but the issue is that nobody makes a 10 round magazine for it. I looked into making my own or having a company in CO make me some, but I gave it up as too much of a pain in the ass, or too expensive. Once you have 10 round magazines, then you need someone who is willing to ship the gun minus magazines, etc, etc.

There's a ton of threads on Calguns and XDTalk about it, if you are interested. SA has pretty much said that they are not going to be making 10 rounders anytime soon.

#3 ·
Do the XD mags fit an XDm?

If not, I wonder if you could just DiY or have a shop block the mags permanently to 10 rounds. Pretty ridiculous that Springfield hasn't offered something for us shafted NY residents.

#4 ·
I know a guy that went out of state and bought one and I am not sure how but he made the mags only accept 10 rounds while still out of state (probably some type of rivet or block in the bottom of the mag) and then shipped it to his NY FFL who inspected the mags and said okay, needless to say he is probably one of the only people in NY with one.

#46 ·
He could have walked out of the store with the magazine, it didn't need to be sent with the gun.
He could have sent it with the gun and asked the FFL to modify the magazine (doubtful)
If he drove the magazine into NY he would have been breaking the law.
If he modified the magazine outside of NY then brought it home he would technically not be breaking the law. Although I have never seen anything from NY that saws that modified magazines are legal.

#10 ·
It sucks, but it's obviously not cost effective for them to make 10 rounders for a couple states. Maybe the XDm .45 was a test, and they found out that they didn't sell enough in the ban states to make the extra process worthwhile. Maybe someone needs to start a letter writing campaign or (forgive me but) a facebook group to show there's enough interest. If we were really lucky, maybe we could find a local gunsmith who would modify the mags for us at a reasonable price, I have the XDm .45 which i love, and I really want a 9mm, but as of right now we're SOL

#11 ·
It sucks, but it's obviously not cost effective for them to make 10 rounders for a couple states.
That's not it. California and NY are not just a "couple of states", they are - respectively - number one and number three on the population list. In fact, California has over 2x as many people as the number four state on the list, Florida. Maryland is also in the top 20, as is Massachusetts. All states whose FFLs cannot sell XDMs because of the magazines. If it was cost effective for them to make 10 rounders for XDs, I'm sure it would be for XDMs as well. In fact, for quite a while SA was telling people that the 10 round versions were "coming soon" and then all of the sudden they changed their tune.

It basically comes down to SA playing some bull**** game.

#13 ·
Buy a Glock and screw SA! You can buy just about any Glock in NY and get preban mags for them as well.... IMO this is a nuts as Remington not sending spent casings with there pistols. They are based in NY.....

#14 ·
I am not sure how he did it, maybe just bought extra mags, modified them and then told the dealer to keep the original mags.

#15 ·
I'll have to look into that. The law states that it's a class D felony to manufacture, transport, dispose of, or possess a large capacity ammunition feeding device, which N.Y. Penal Law § 265.00(23) defines as "a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device" manufactured after September 13, 1994, "that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than ten round of ammunition." My concern is what type of modification is considered not "readily restored or converted " and are DIY modifications considered legal?

#17 ·
A couple things

He had the original dealer (out of state) keep the mags to sell in his store I believe. Also I do not think a manufacturing FFL can get in trouble for converting highcap mags (I am not sure).

Second any modification that makes a permanent attachment, Midwest sells 10/30 round pmags and they are legal because you would have to destroy the mag pretty much to get the block out. So I am pretty sure some JB weld or a cold weld plus a block in the mag would do it.

And I do not see why DIY modifications wouldn't be legal, there is nothing in the law that says you can't make a firearm or a magazine 100% legal and then bring it into the state.

#18 ·
I have shot the XD .45 and it was a solid gun. I just find it over engineered compared to the Glock, with all the extra safeties for a DAO gun. The only Glock I own is a G26 and it has never fealt like a "toy" :) It feels just as solid in my hand to shoot as my P226. My first impression was its what you get when you build something around Glocks patents. This was only an impression/Opinion though, I havent shot SA enough for it to be worth anything.

I do have to say everyone I know who owns a SA loves it and thats a good thing. I do notice that they seem to be more expensive than similar pistols and are not carried or authorized by many LEO agencies. I hear its mostly due to SA parts replacement policy? This is hearsay though.

#20 ·
NO SA should provide the mags and if is expensive to do it themselves, do what everyone else does and outsource it. its not like NYers do not pay premium prices for pistols already. This is just one more reason for them to add $50 to the price! People will still buy it.

We all know the stuff that cant be had is most wanted. Maybe they are just making SA fans wait long enough they will sell like hotcakes becuase the fans want this model so bad :)

arent SA pistols made in Croatia and imported by SA? Im sure manufacturing and labor costs are cheaper there if so and another reason why there should not be an issue providing these mags.... IF ATI can do it with the GSG and related product lines so can SA.

#21 ·
I did some calling around today and found that dealers from out of state have no issue sending the firearm to NY with modified mags but I haven't found a NY FFL who will approve mags that have been blocked. If anybody knows any FFL's who would approve such mags let me know, but for now the XDM waiting game continues. Does anybody have any thoughts on what the "new" XDM might be that Springfield is advertising on their website?

#31 ·
Thanks for the PM. I did some more research and found out that NY firearm dealers are willing to order the XDM but they will not sell it with any magazines. Would it be a possibility to purchase the gun in state, purchase the magazines out of state, permanently modify them, and transport them back?

#55 ·
Well here it is, the new XDm. Will we ever see it in NY? Who knows...
Springfield Armory - Introducing the XD(m) Polymer Handgun
The .45 compact comes with a 10 round mag, should be legal. Most others are over 10. It's interesting to read about mag laws in NY. I have been out of state for 22 years being in the military. I already own an XDm .40 with 16 round mags. Looks like I'll have to trade it or sell it before I move to NY once I retire. Shame.

They are now making this one, that is a single stack .45. Maybe they made it specifically for ban states.
Springfield Armory XDS Single Stack .45ACP Micro

#35 ·
Just more proof that this state is screwed up...police officers can purchase and carry a pistol with high cap. magazines. But the day they retire, they are commiting a felony by owning the magazines they carried for 20 years on patrol! You can trust them one day...and they are a felon the next? Absolutely absurd that a retired police officer, who retired in good standing cannot possess high cap magazines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.