New York Firearms Forum banner

Deputies shoot and kill a man after knocking on the wrong door.

6K views 66 replies 25 participants last post by  timboy 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Ehh, I can see both sides of this one. One one hand, he pointed his gun at police and they shot him, as they should have. On the other hand, they did not identify themselves, so if he has shot and killed them (the armed men of unknown identities as they didn't identify themselves) I should hope he was not charged.

#4 ·
This seems wrong, I was almost certain that they are required to identify themselves, when you knock on a door you have your badge out not a weapon, and if no one answers they are supposed to say "NYS Police open up!" or something, this seems like utter bull..... but how do you reprimand anyone? Simple mistake on the wrong apartment, wrong guy answers, but why was he answering with a gun pointed out of the door? Rough part of town? Anyway, the cop who shot him? As the article stated, the guy was already wanted for attempted homicide, he doesn't care about human life, however I do think that the cops SHOULD have had a badge out and in view right underneath the gun pointed at the "bad guy"

This was an unfortunate accident, that was harder then anyone - other then another cop - could understand it was to avoid.

#6 ·
I can understand not identifying themselves. Think about it, they were going after a murder suspect. They dont want to get shot through the door. Also I am assuming they were in a uniform so the guy should of realized who they were. He shouldnt of had the gun pointing at them. Personally I dont answer my door with a gun pointing at the person on the other side. either way if things went down as said in the article the only mistake the police made was going to the wrong apartment.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Read more: Deputies shoot, kill man after knocking on wrong door | Local News - WESH Home

Who answers the door pointing a weapon?!? Darwinism strikes again.
At 1:30am in the morning, if there is an un-announced knock at my door, you can be damn sure I"ll be opening the door with one hand and have a glock in the other. I doubt he opened the door and immediately pointed the gun. The only people who know what exactly went down are the cops and him, and he's dead...

#10 ·
I wouldn't be opening my door at that hour unless I knew who it was period. if I were to open the door though and had a pistol then personally I would have the gun out of sight behind the door and I would only crack the door open.

If someone points a gun at LEO then they are going to get shot period.

#15 ·
That's what we have to go with. That is what we ARE judging this on. Yes, he could have been juggling flaming chainsaws when he opened the door, but based on what we have here, my opinion stands.

If your worried enough to point your gun at someone who knocks on your door then you probably shouldn't be opening it and call the police. At that point 911 will figure out pretty quick its the police knocking on your door and no one gets shot.
"Hello? Yes, 911, there is someone banging on my door and I was just wonder...nevermind, they just kicked the door down. Yep, they were bad guys. Send an ambulance, I think I'm dying."

#14 ·
^+1 Jeff
also if they werent in police uniforms then sure if someone had a gun pointed at me when I open door I will shoot them. But that has nothing to do with this situation. Why do they need to identify themselves when knocking on the door? Like said above you can ask who is out there or when you open the door you will see it is the police.

If your worried enough to point your gun at someone who knocks on your door then you probably shouldn't be opening it and call the police. At that point 911 will figure out pretty quick its the police knocking on your door and no one gets shot.

#17 ·
Darth, First off, no one gives a flying **** what your opinion is. Secondly - I read in the news that Obama is the best president America has ever seen. Don't believe everything you read. There are some crucial details missing in this article also this article is written from one Point of View.

#20 ·
IfF he pointed the gun at them of course it's justified. We will never know if he he actually had the gun pointed or just had it. At first I thought the mention of drugs was not relevant, however it might be. Maybe he was protecting his stash? The peep hole is your friend (unless your Erin Andrews). If your not sure don't open the door and call 911.

#22 ·
Who opens their door at 1:30 in the morning without looking through a peephole/window/ask who it is. He was wrong, the deputy was wrong, a lot of screw ups here.

#23 · (Edited)
Ugh, can't even think of how I would have handled that situation, that would've been a super high stress situation. Opening the door with a gun pointed in the direction of the multiple men on my porch would not have crossed my mind. I think a shouting match would have ensued, at the very least I would've wanted to come up with some quick tactical approach to figuring out who was outside banging on my door at 1:30am. If you think about it, anyone could've simply claimed they were "police", or "sheriff", etc. to trick me into opening the door with my hands up. Perhaps agreeing to open the door once a badge w/ID was presented in plain view, and letting the guys on the other side of the door know that I was armed probably might've been the best approach.

911 wouldn't be of much use if the multiple men were truly BG's looking to kick the door down and snuff out anyone who got in their way. I have two young kids and a wife in the house...all I know is that the stakes are too high to make like Chuck Norris when answering my front door. SWAT team 1, single mistaken-identity guy in house with gun, 0.

#28 ·
at the very least I would've wanted to come up with some quick tactical approach to figuring out who was outside banging on my door at 1:30am.
Perhaps you should come up with that plan today? I use these news stories to evaluate my plans. I can see the driveway/road from my daughters window. I realize this doesn't work for everyone or every situation, but it's the best I have right now.

911 wouldn't be of much use if the multiple men were truly BG's looking to kick the door down and snuff out anyone who got in their way. I have two young kids and a wife in the house...all I know is that the stakes are too high to make like Chuck Norris when answering my front door. SWAT team 1, single mistaken-identity guy in house with gun, 0.
If there's a car I don't recognize, I'm not answering the door. I don't care enough about other people to risk my families safety to fix someone elses problem at 1:30am. If someone ran out of gas at 1:30 in front of my house, that's their problem, not mine.

1 in the morning two people dressed in black knock on my door and dont identify themselves? Of course im bringing a gun. I FEEL that he was not pointing the gun at them and once they saw it they reacted. Why would you not identify yourself? This wasn't a covert tactical mission. I FEEL in this situation the cops were in the wrong. However if he was pointing the gun at them he is in the wrong.
We will never know which direction the gun was pointing, we shouldn't judge anyone based on feelings or speculation. Maybe we shouldn't be 'judging" anyone anyway. I can't solve the worlds problems and while this situation is unfortunate, it's not my problem and I should focus on re-evaluation my plan.

#24 ·
Unfortunate,yes very......BUT......Let us all remember that LEO's are only human,and I am quite sure when they knocked on the door they neither had a clue what was about to happen or enjoyed the outcome.......Just sayin'......

#27 ·
1 in the morning two people dressed in black knock on my door and dont identify themselves? Of course im bringing a gun. I FEEL that he was not pointing the gun at them and once they saw it they reacted. Why would you not identify yourself? This wasn't a covert tactical mission. I FEEL in this situation the cops were in the wrong. However if he was pointing the gun at them he is in the wrong.

#40 ·
If I am not expecting company & someone knocks on my door ANYTIME (not just nighttime), I am yelling through the door with my gun pointed right at it (finger off the trigger) asking who it is and what they want. I tell my wife to do the same thing when I'm not home. Remember, there is a lot of stuff that happens in the suburbs that never gets reported to the news. Daytime break-ins are one of them. These guys case out neighborhoods & pretend to be salesman and go around knocking on doors. If they don't get an answer, they think it's ok to smash & grab.

Also, if someone is knocking on my door at that time of night--guns are out and pointed at the door & I'm calling 911 to send a cop over because there is no reason for anyone to be knocking on my door at that time of night. The days of me getting knocks at the door at 1:30am or later from hot & horny drunk girls looking to get the worst 10 seconds of their life are long gone!

#44 ·
Watching the video, it looks like there's no peep hole on the door, But there is a light and a window next to it. Tough to say without being there but it looks like he could have turned on the light and looked out the window. Who's there and what do you want. I am armed and will defend myself.
All and all, A sad outcome to something that should have ended a lot differently.

#47 ·
THIS IS WHAT I DONT UNDERSTAND! they say it is a "no knock" warrant........and that they didnt identify themselves......and that they knocked and pounded on the wrong door(apparently)..... man behind door = victim early morning, woke up from sleep startled, door pounding...walks up to the door, very confused, possibly blinded by flashlight and if there was a peep hole blocked, no one identifying themselves, opens door to confront what he thought was a threat and BANG BANG BANG DEAD!

-if this was a no knock warrant WHY DID THEY KNOCK? (causing confusion and scaring the victim, early morning)
-if they were knocking WHY DIDNT THEY ANNOUNCE? (the victim would have known it was the police and acted accordingly)
-if this was a no knock warrant WHY DIDNT THEY KICK THE DOOR DOWN AND ENTER? (victim would most likely still have been asleep and not armed...therefore he wouldnt have been shot and killed)..

SOME ONE NEEDS TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#48 ·
THIS IS WHAT I DONT UNDERSTAND! they say it is a "no knock" warrant........and that they didnt identify themselves......and that they knocked and pounded on the wrong door(apparently)..... man behind door = victim early morning, woke up from sleep startled, door pounding...walks up to the door, very confused, possibly blinded by flashlight and if there was a peep hole blocked, no one identifying themselves, opens door to confront what he thought was a threat and BANG BANG BANG DEAD!

-if this was a no knock warrant WHY DID THEY KNOCK? (causing confusion and scaring the victim, early morning)
-if they were knocking WHY DIDNT THEY ANNOUNCE? (the victim would have known it was the police and acted accordingly)
-if this was a no knock warrant WHY DIDNT THEY KICK THE DOOR DOWN AND ENTER? (victim would most likely still have been asleep and not armed...therefore he wouldnt have been shot and killed)..

SOME ONE NEEDS TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree. The cops are in the wrong here.

#50 ·
I noticed that too. I think a lot of the discussion has focused upon what action not to do when faced in a similar situation, ie not open the door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.