Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: My first ar/ar build

Default My first ar/ar build

Theres the first piece of the puzzle..... Palmetto state armory stripped lower receiver.. will add more pics as I progress

Man my wallets gonna be light for a little while
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

One piece of advice to you is to watch your shipping charges. They can add up fast. Try to consolidate what you need to source from as few places as possible. (Providing you can get find what you want. A few extra bucks for small items is more than made up on saving shipping from somewhere else.)

Starting my first build as well, good luck.

That Joebob outfitters has free shipping on all orders over 90 bucks.
    BUCKrub91 likes this.
    Watering the Tree Of Liberty is not achieved by the killing of innocents, but by preserving the lives of those innocents with your own if necessary.

Just ordered the palmetto state armory MOE LPK that comes with the LPK grip buffer tube and stock in OD Green
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Quote Originally Posted by Degenret View Post
    That Joebob outfitters has free shipping on all orders over 90 bucks.
    Don't forget to get the free T-Shirt!
    Degenret likes this.

Ordered an OD GREEN 10 round PMAG in a 30 Round PMAG body

Palmetto LPK still hasnt shipped yet... hopefully it ships out on monday
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Got my 10 round PMAG in a 30 round PMAG body in the mail today... My LPK with magpul stuff should be here Thursday according to tracking information
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

I picked up one of Palmettos stripped uppers and it took 5 business days to get here. Shipping speed rivaled MidwayUSA and Palmetto was 2x farther away. +1 for PSA.
    "Honor is due to those who went simply because they did."

RIT 2012

"If you survive that and continue, you will quickly experience rapid ventilation of your cranial vault with a 1-ounce slug." ~ Bob

Got my lpk last night mite put it together this morning when I get home from work if im not to tired
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKrub91 View Post
    Got my 10 round PMAG in a 30 round PMAG body in the mail today... My LPK with magpul stuff should be here Thursday according to tracking information
    Who did you get the 10 round PMAG in a 30 round body from? I like the look of the 30 round magazines.

Quote Originally Posted by coolbreez67 View Post
    Who did you get the 10 round PMAG in a 30 round body from? I like the look of the 30 round magazines.
    I got it from golden state tactical.. its a online store that sells California compliant stuff
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Getting closer!

lost the detent for front pivot pin.. thing shot across the room at about 700 fps.. unless i happen to find it (highly unlikely) I guess ill be ordering something that has a replacement
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Them little springs and detents can be tricky effers. I lost the rear detent spring in a build I was doing for a friend, was lucky I had a spare kit from having to replace a bad hammer spring in my own AR.
    Watering the Tree Of Liberty is not achieved by the killing of innocents, but by preserving the lives of those innocents with your own if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenret View Post
    Them little springs and detents can be tricky effers. I lost the rear detent spring in a build I was doing for a friend, was lucky I had a spare kit from having to replace a bad hammer spring in my own AR.
    I tapped the back of my rear detent to take 4 X 40 allen head set screw, capturing the spring. Now i can change stocks without the spring going flying. It takes a .050" allen wrench. You will also need a 4 X 40 tap. No drilling is necessary. You will have to cut about 1/4" to 3/8" off of the detent spring. The set screws are a little hard to find. I found mine at a hobby shop specializing in RC cars. The size is commonly used on them I found out.
    Last edited by PY-Tactical; 02-24-2012 at 06:43 PM.

lost the detent for front pivot pin.. thing shot across the room at about 700 fps.. unless i happen to find it (highly unlikely) I guess ill be ordering something that has a replacement

They make a tool for installing the front detant spring. But....after I bought one and looked at in I went down to the local hardware and bought a 1/4" clevis pin for a buck and small change. Was the same thing but had a few more holes in it.

Super Moderator evileyeswatchin's Avatar

Assemble the front pin a plastic grocery bag.
    My mind is the weapon, everything else is merely an accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKrub91 View Post

Getting closer!

The first issue of Recoil magazine has a DIY on fixing detent springs. Worth a look, I plan on doing it once I start my AR. Good build so far.

One question, I thought that stock (or any collapsible stock) was a no-go in NY. Am I misinformed?
    Last edited by BCWhite13; 02-25-2012 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Forgot question
    I'LL KEEP MY GUNS, MY FREEDOM AND MY MONEY... YOU CAN KEEP THE CHANGE! - Anonymous

The first issue of Recoil magazine has a DIY on fixing detent springs. Worth a look, I plan on doing it once I start my AR. Good build so far.

One question, I thought that stock (or any collapsible stock) was a no-go in NY. Am I misinformed?
    Yeah technically the OP is in violation for having the stock attached to the lower at the same time as a pistol grip. However I'm sure he plans on pinning it and making it legal before he finishes it and takes it out of the house. Cut the guy some slack for gosh sakes. I haven't seen the NY stock police crusing the neighborhood and peeking in windows . (Not yet anyway, Afterall this is New York!)

The hot setup for doing bag assembly on springs is the clear dry cleaner bag. Somewhat clear and lots more roomy than a grocery bag....

Quote Originally Posted by PY-Tactical View Post
    Yeah technically the OP is in violation for having the stock attached to the lower at the same time as a pistol grip.
    Actually I don't think it would be in violation of the AWB right now because the gun is not yet semi automatic

But yes it will be pinned I just want to get the upper on it and get a feel for the different stock positions before I decide where to pin it..
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Quote Originally Posted by PY-Tactical View Post
    Yeah technically the OP is in violation for having the stock attached to the lower at the same time as a pistol grip. However I'm sure he plans on pinning it and making it legal before he finishes it and takes it out of the house. Cut the guy some slack for gosh sakes. I haven't seen the NY stock police crusing the neighborhood and peeking in windows . (Not yet anyway, Afterall this is New York!)

The hot setup for doing bag assembly on springs is the clear dry cleaner bag. Somewhat clear and lots more roomy than a grocery bag....
    I wasn't giving him a hard time. Being out of state for 22 years in the Army, I am trying to become informed on the laws as I intend on building myself an AR soon. I understand the pinning in place so it won't move, but can it be pinned in the fully collapsed mode? On my service M4 I keep mine fully collapsed and out one detent. I never intended on it coming across as giving him a hard time, I was simply asking a question on the legality of it. Subscribed, very interested in your build.
    I'LL KEEP MY GUNS, MY FREEDOM AND MY MONEY... YOU CAN KEEP THE CHANGE! - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by BCWhite13 View Post
    I wasn't giving him a hard time. Being out of state for 22 years in the Army, I am trying to become informed on the laws as I intend on building myself an AR soon. I understand the pinning in place so it won't move, but can it be pinned in the fully collapsed mode? On my service M4 I keep mine fully collapsed and out one detent. I never intended on it coming across as giving him a hard time, I was simply asking a question on the legality of it. Subscribed, very interested in your build.
    I see where you are located, You've got to understand that the further south in the state you go, the more paranoid you tend to get...

To answer your question, Yes you can pin the stock in fully collapsed if you want to. The state wants a fixed stock is all. No bayonet lug, (cause NY must have a bayonet attack problem,) no flash hider and if you have a compensator/muzzle brake, it must be pinned and welded or silver soldered as permanent so threads can never be used for a suppressor. Ten rounds max. on a post-ban magazine, pre-ban mags = any capacity.
    Pre-ban guns can have all the "evil" features you want but the magazine rules still apply.

PYT
    Last edited by PY-Tactical; 02-25-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BCWhite13 View Post
    Subscribed, very interested in your build.
    Glad you are interested

If you have any questions about the AWB laws there is a thread in the laws and politics section that explains them
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Will be ordering this BCM BFH 16" Mid Length Upper Receiver Group When I get my next pay.. which Should be in my bank account when I get home from work tomorrow morning.....

Cant wait till this damned money pit is finished so I can actually keep a bit of cash in my bank account lol... Oh well you get what you pay for
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Before anybody says anything about not having the bayo lug milled off or the flash hider replaced with a pinned muzzle break... I dont really think this could be considered a semi automatic firearm yet seeing as it dosnt have a bolt... no bolt it cant even be fired so it definitely cant be fired semi automatically... But I will have it 100% compliant before long
    ┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast