New York Firearms Forum banner

Iron sights at 100 yards

7K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  MajorD 
#1 ·
I'm trying to get better shooting at 100 yards with iron sights. At that distance my sight post is larger than the blury target I do see. What kind of targets are you using for your old eyes?

#8 ·
Also see if you can get a finer tapered front post and upgraded sights if you can. I don't know what you are shooting but if you want to get good
with irons the peep aperture even with a small diopter helps define the sight picture. But again this depends on what firearm and perhaps
w/o getting into too sophisticated target aperture sights.

Pictures taken under identical conditions through large (left) and small (right) diameter aperture sights, with camera focused on front sight

#9 ·
I have a Yankee Hill flip up front sight and a MI diopter sight. I was using the larger aperture until today, I just switched to the small one. Tonight I also just aligned my sights with a laser bore sight too 100 yards. What do you think about putting some color on the front sight post?

I wish what I seen was even as good as the left picture. :)

#11 ·
If you can, hang some old frying pans down range. I used to do that with my S&W .357 mag. I didn't hit them every time but better than 50/50 for sure, An old vertical pipe that was there from an old target stand, I could hit every time. Don't spend all your time on the rest, go freehand too.

#12 ·
I just shot my first CMP this weekend, when I heard "200 yards with open sights" I panicked. The Garand has great irons but my eyes suck and I was very worried. Honestly, I did OK...just gotta focus on the front sight. The advice I got was to draw a diagonal line with a sharp #2 pencil across the back of my front sight blade to keep me focused. Keep in mind that your eyes physically CANNOT focus on more that one object at a time....make sure it is your front blade that they are focusing on. (easier said than done....)

#21 ·
If you are used to shooting with a scope, switching to aperture is a bit of a leap of faith. Not really being able to see the target as much more than a fuzzy outline seems strange at first. It does have one real benefit though IMO - focusing on the front sight also allows you to think more about the consistency of your hold or your trigger squeeze. I think with a scope many people tend to fuss the shot, trying to release the trigger *exactly* when the crosshairs on perfect. That can lead to all sorts of bad habits.

With a quality setup where you can choose your front pin and aperture size for lighting conditions, an experienced shooter can get pretty close to the accuracy limits of a service type rifle. They will not replace scopes for the times when fractions of an inch count, or when you cannot clearly identify your target, but if your goal is to reliably hit a target about the size of your front post, aperture sights can be surprisingly good.

#13 ·
I wish I could use something besides paper targets at my range. I went with a buddy to his farm to shoot and that is what got me to push hard with iron sights and learn to shoot freehand. Shooting from a bench might be fun, but it's not where I need to be.

#22 ·
Those should be fine. Make sure you block the light from the sides of your shooting glasses.
You should be able to zero on a couple of 10-12" targets or otherwise a couple of paper plates or equivalent at 100. I don't know how much sight radius you have, the larger the better.
But if you want cash in more real state look at KNS front posts. Magento Commerce

I found this for you... this guy opens a brownells bag with an assortment of them..

#26 ·
Last target I shot irons at out past 70 yards had 4 legs and is sitting in my freezer. That said I like the idea of red paper plates and a finer front post... I've been meaning to get one because mine looks like a damn 2x4 out that far.

#27 ·
Back in the day I did the 500 meters qualification with iron sights.
Here a modern rifle training manual. Towards page 15 you will find target specs and other details for those interested...
https://www.trngcmd.usmc.mil/WTBN/Documents/MPMS/G_Data_Books/A_ART_NAVMC_11660_REV_02-12.pdf

IMO everyone should try and understand the iron sights as far as they can withing their own possibilities . For people
who have limited conditions and small rifles like 22 LR rifles see if you can connect with the closest chapter of the
Appleseed program and print some reduced size targets to simulate 100 to 400 yards targets for practice.

Project Appleseed Home

Appleseed Schedule

I hope this helps.

#28 ·
BTW... These are the sights that I use...

Back Buis matech mil spec...

I use the knights micro-flip in a couple of 308s as backup for the glass...

And .32 or .52 KNS post depending on location / radius....

For other rifles like hunting / target backup sights I use the folding magpul mbus that are very light and do a decent job...

#29 ·
Go to PrintTargets and make your own!

I made some for my Dad that look like a Doughnut with a hollow circle in the middle. Basically it's two circles with solid black in between the two circle lines, and the inner circles center is white.

Make it about 8 inches wide with the outer circle and 6 inches wide at the inner circle. That'll give you a solid "O" that is 2" thick with a 6" white middle area. My Dad said that it helped immensely when I made it and emailed it to him!

#34 ·
the smaller the rear peep, the better sight picture sharpness, depth of field and clarity.

the smaller the rear peep, you get less light to see by.

As Always, Get right on top of that Rear Peep!!!!

(its that damn real world give and take)

#37 ·
The people who really know how to work irons are the service rifle/cmp shooters. They all use plain back sights and black targets and some are incredibly good. Back years ago when I was thin fit and with much better eyes sub 2 moa with irons out to 300 was doable. I have seen service rifle shooters shoot sub 3 inch groups at 300 with irons. Not only is sight alignment very important but multiple factors Make this happen great rifle and sighting system, match grade ammo position sling tension trigger control etc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.