New York Firearms Forum banner

Ammo shortage starting to ease up?

4K views 36 replies 29 participants last post by  mbopp 
#1 ·
Last two days - Cicero Walmart... some Tula 9mm... plenty of .380, .40 and .45

Cicero Gander Mountain... some Blazer 9mm - a 350 pack and some 50 packs... more .380, .40 and .45. A pallet of various rifle/shotgun loads on the floor that has been picked through but plenty left as of 2:00 PM today.

It's not where it was 3 months ago - but it's better than it was last week.

#2 ·
I sure hope you're right. I can't shoot quite a few of my firearms because of the ammo shortage (range by me requires soft points etc.)

#10 ·
Gander Mt in Rochester gets their ammo on wednesdays and they put it out late morning. I stopped at lunch today, you have to take a number, there were 58 people in front of me. One guy had been waiting more than an hour and a half. All the .223, .22 lr and pistol ammo except .40 will be gone tonight if it isn't already. I didn't stick around. I don't need it that bad, especially if there is a limit on number you could buy. Might be worth the wait for a case, not for 2 boxes.

#12 ·
I check online and local stores frequently, more so out of curiosity, since I stocked enough for me to shoot. I see lucky gunner has stock, but it seems people are refusing to pay 4x the price for ammo. From what I understand Other retailers such as Midway get major shipments once a month, so you will see a flood of ammo over the next couple of weeks.

I believe the demand is still pretty high, most stockpilers have reached their goals, prices are dropping for ammo on the auction sites, and retailers are limiting purchase. My personal prediction is that by the end of March, we will see better ammo availability. April is when the magazine ban hits, so I don't see mags ever being available, just ebay etc.

#14 ·
I really hope all of you guys are right. I'd love to get back into shooting my...rifle and future handguns. I can't even find slugs for my 12 gauge (purchased 250 before the craze and have been using them up as I go to the range).

#18 ·
i hope we get back to relative normality soon because i have held back on shooting since the ammo shortage hit. i have a reasonable supply, but i really dont want to us that up. i like to keep my stock and buy boxes to shoot every month. lets hope this injunction goes through, and there becomes a surplus of ammo on the market come may/june and prices drop to record lows because there is just too freaking much ammo out there... i dont like to use my credit cards, but ill do some serious purchasing if this ever happens.. (i can dream cant i?)

#19 ·
I will also do some serious purchasing if that happens. If 5.56/.223, .22LR, 9mm, .40, 12gauge slugs etc. go back down. Oh man, I get excited just thinking about all the time I'll be spending at the range.

#23 ·
The shortage is HARDLY easing up. I've seen prices on some items, such as 9MM and .22LR, INCREASE in the last month on GunBroker (search completed listings). My local Herb's is sold out within an hour of the truck arriving- it seems like the most popular calibers are .22LR, .223/5.56, 9MM, 7.62x39, .308/7.62NATO. Even the economy boxes of some of the more common calibers, such as .30-30, are scarce to find.

I've noticed that it's a numbers game: wander around enough shops regularly, and you're bound to score a little here & there at a reasonable price.

#25 ·
I'd say it's eased up about 10%. Stores are getting some in slightly more often than 6-8 weeks ago. And then it's sold out in 15 minutes.

#26 ·
Yeah, the shortage is not showing any signs of easing up IMO. I have notifications registered with a few online suppliers, and just the other day I received the notice that WWB .45ACP had come in, and by the time I logged on to the site, it was out of stock.

#28 ·
found a good supply of 22 magnum that just came in but its a 3 box limit and this is the third day i had to go back. the same stack has not moved much. they got the remington 1400 round buckets 22lr in last week and they were ALL gone in 1 hour even with the limit at $64.99 a pop. they are going for $175-250 on gunbroker.

#31 ·
I'm starting to see the drag on 20GA target loads, and even 12 GA target loads.

The lower cost stuff is becoming less in stock. It could be the few nice days happening, or people buying a lot. I haven't seen much rifle/ pistol ammo in anywhere in my area in weeks. I must be missing when it comes in.

I'm watching the price of shotshells go up week by week. Not much but a few cents every now and again. Soon it looks like the cheapest boxes will be about $6.99 in my eyes. Which is starting to get a bit expensive with sales tax.

I've noticed every now and again premium .223 in stock, but it's like $24 a box, and it doesn't even last that long. I'd say people aren't slowing up at all. Prices were starting to drop, but I see them going back up. I'm getting to the point I'm leaving the rifles at home and just hitting the clays. It's getting too expensive to shoot rifles, with all the driving to find no ammo for 45 days at a time, and then paying .50 + a round.

I was in cabelas in PA, and it was whiped out. They had some SPP and SRP, but at 35/1k + tax and 2k limit I passed, since I don't have any projectiles, they are next to impossible to find as well. It's all just a bad dream.

I'd rather spend the money at the clay range, and let it all settle down. Get my wingshooting a bit better make some new friends, learn a new game. When a flat of 250 shells is going at 59.99-69.99 in my eyes they last a heck of a lot longer than 300 .223 rounds which is easy to go through in a day at the range.

I'll shoot some rifle, but not much. I'm probably going to start shooting the 30-06 more, since the ammo is available and heck it's not all that much more than other stuff. heh.

So overall, i'd say it's still just as bad, if not getting worse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.