Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Best way to store ammo

Default Best way to store ammo

Starting to accumulate alot of ammo. Is it OK to store bulk in army-style ammo containers or better to leave in original boxes? Boxes are starting to take up alot of room in the safe

2. Register or Log In to remove this Ad!

I think ammo cans (with the rubber seals in tact) would be better, or any other air tight container. If you store long term throw a desiccant pack in there. Original boxes don't keep moisture out.
    cgrutt and Embree Smith like this.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

Best place for ammo? In a gun of course! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

+1 for ammo cans

Quote Originally Posted by seefour View Post
    Best place for ammo? In a gun of course! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

+1 for ammo cans
    Sorry, I thought 1000+ rounds are illegal in NYS... couldn't resist

First is not so much where do you store them but where do you pack them and how weather tight is the packaging. I mean, given that they are a bit away from the fireplace! lol
    I think as soon as they are tight sealed and if possible with a desiccant in there as already mentioned that it would not hurt. as soon as it is a sealed container they could be inside a boat sunk at the bottom of the ocean and still work several years later. So like reloaded ammo keep the moisture away from them and if you want to put them in the basement make sure they spend a good amount of time in the upstairs before you pack them in sealed tight containers.
    Sealed battle packs from the 80's and 90's provide great deals in bulk buys and most of them are good for many years given they are in good condition to start with and not punctured or broken somewhere.
    Also I think one could use those vacuum bags that one could ration in prepackaged battle loads of 200 rounds each so one can toss inside a backpack flat with clothes and other gear. The plastic is thick and strong and will keep moisture out for many years at the same time is easy to open and get those ready if needed in a hurry.
    Giving money and power to Government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. -- P.J. O'Rourke

get yourself a ammo storage box/case. the NRA sells them and you support the cause or you can get them at any one of your local gun retailers. they are water tight and some of them are even fire proof, have locks and moisture control. mine looks like a safe its metal, i got it at a local gun shop for free when i purchesed a rifel off them.

Stack-On Strong Box Safe/Ammo Bunker, Gun Safes, Gun Storage, Shooting : Cabela's
    NRA MEMBER !!!!
    AFSCME Council 82, Local 1263
    (New York State Law Enforcement Officers Union)
    EAA Windicator .357 mag., Ruger P-85 MK II, Glock 19, Siaga Ak-47, Ithica 37 feather lite, Remington 1100

I'd just go look for rubbermaid type containers at Big Lots or Dollar Stores.
    ADK 7.62 likes this.
    NYSRPA Member - SCOPE Member - NRA Life Member - NRA Range Safety Officer

I prefer the Army surplus ammo cans with the rubber seal. Easy to get at most any gun shows. I mark them with tape and put the caliber and date. Call me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
    get yourself a ammo storage box/case. the NRA sells them and you support the cause or you can get them at any one of your local gun retailers. they are water tight and some of them are even fire proof, have locks and moisture control. mine looks like a safe its metal, i got it at a local gun shop for free when i purchesed a rifel off them.

Stack-On Strong Box Safe/Ammo Bunker, Gun Safes, Gun Storage, Shooting : Cabela's
    Ha, not big enough, lol... I did say "a lot" of ammo, right

Quote Originally Posted by big_cigar View Post
    I prefer the Army surplus ammo cans with the rubber seal. Easy to get at most any gun shows. I mark them with tape and put the caliber and date. Call me crazy.
    Actually sounds like something I might do. Must be crazy too...

kmussack

For best results store your ammunition in a temperature range below 60-degrees Fahrenheit with minimum variation. Likewise store your ammunition where the relative humidity is below 50%. Under these conditions your ammunition will last longer than you will.

Storing your ammunition in military ammunition cans is a great idea but it facilitates the theft of that ammunition by making it easy to carry away. Put those military ammunition cans inside a larger locked container. I use JOBOX job site storage chests.

I then color code the handles of my GI ammo cans using vinyl electricians tape; White = .223, Blue =.30-06, Red =.308, etc.

Once loaded with ammunition the JOBOX is immobilized by its own weight. So storage should be on a floor capable of handling the load.
    ADK 7.62 likes this.

Thanks, its in my safe in basement. I'd say avg temp is around 55 year round. Don't know what humidity is, but safe has one of those fish tank heater style dehumidifiers in year round as well. No humidity issues so far on guns etc. I currently keep the ammo in original boxes, but thought putting them into storage cans would cut down on the space. Have several thousand rounds in 5.56 and about 1000 rounds each in .40 S&W, .357, .38, and .307 Win (yes, .307), several hundred rounds in .68 SPC and .35 Rem. Not a ton by any stretch, but starting to accumulate nevertheless...

I like the tape idea.

I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner usmcveteran's Avatar

If you dont mind the rounds being loose in the cans then go for it. I would still put one of those moisture soaking packets in each can because it cant hurt. Maybe its time to convert a closet into a walkin safe lol?
    cgrutt likes this.

Major

I use a bunch of plastic MTM ammo cans (they have a seal) w/ tape telling me caliber. Some I don't have out of the cardboard shipping boxes yet. All of this is store in a Job Box like kmussack was saying. It works great and will be very hard to steal.

I have been using a couple of jobsite polymer watertight trunks but I like the Jobox idea even better. The bigger, sturdier and more weight you put in them the better.
    Giving money and power to Government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by cgrutt View Post
    Ha, not big enough, lol... I did say "a lot" of ammo, right
    hahah well lets have a shoot off at your place then,.....you supply the ammo i'll bring the meat for the grill.
    NRA MEMBER !!!!
    AFSCME Council 82, Local 1263
    (New York State Law Enforcement Officers Union)
    EAA Windicator .357 mag., Ruger P-85 MK II, Glock 19, Siaga Ak-47, Ithica 37 feather lite, Remington 1100

I also use the ammo cans..I like them, but u want to make sure the seal is good on used cans...sometimes they arn't.

kmussack

As time goes by the cost of military ammo cans is increasing. So Iíve been looking for alternatives. Lowes paint department sells 1-gallon paint cans with lids for a little under $4.

A 1-gallon paint can will hold 1,000-rounds of 9mm ammunition and a desiccant pack. Tapping the lid shut with a rubber mallet creates a water-tight/air-tight seal. Thereís even a convenient carry handle. The only down side is that you need something with which to pry the pail open.

I hot melt an opener to the lid and dip them in driveway sealer.
    demerson likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I'd just go look for rubbermaid type containers at Big Lots or Dollar Stores.
    brass will react with polypropylene if stored a few years...look for a PP in a triangle on the container.

Captain

I like the paint can idea

Private

+1 on the paint can...Tommy Likey...

Quote Originally Posted by kmussack View Post
    As time goes by the cost of military ammo cans is increasing. So I’ve been looking for alternatives. Lowes paint department sells 1-gallon paint cans with lids for a little under $4.

A 1-gallon paint can will hold 1,000-rounds of 9mm ammunition and a desiccant pack. Tapping the lid shut with a rubber mallet creates a water-tight/air-tight seal. There’s even a convenient carry handle. The only down side is that you need something with which to pry the pail open.

I know this thread is old, but thats what you get when you search instead of just posting a new thread!! Just wanted to thank you for this ingenious idea!!!!
    Embree Smith likes this.
    You: Is my firearm concealed if I wear it under my coat? Me: You're an idiot.

For best results store your ammunition in a temperature range below 60-degrees Fahrenheit with minimum variation. Likewise store your ammunition where the relative humidity is below 50%. Under these conditions your ammunition will last longer than you will.

Storing your ammunition in military ammunition cans is a great idea but it facilitates the theft of that ammunition by making it easy to carry away. Put those military ammunition cans inside a larger locked container. I use JOBOX job site storage chests.

I then color code the handles of my GI ammo cans using vinyl electricians tape; White = .223, Blue =.30-06, Red =.308, etc.

Once loaded with ammunition the JOBOX is immobilized by its own weight. So storage should be on a floor capable of handling the load.
    thats where my Guns are ...!!!

As time goes by the cost of military ammo cans is increasing. So I’ve been looking for alternatives. Lowes paint department sells 1-gallon paint cans with lids for a little under $4.

A 1-gallon paint can will hold 1,000-rounds of 9mm ammunition and a desiccant pack. Tapping the lid shut with a rubber mallet creates a water-tight/air-tight seal. There’s even a convenient carry handle. The only down side is that you need something with which to pry the pail open.
    I love it... now everybody stop talking about it so nobody else knows where my ammo will be.
    jayk500 and Embree Smith like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast