New York Firearms Forum banner

3-9x scope suggestions. Vortex Crossfire 2 , Nikon ProStaff or Redfield Revenge?

9K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  NLYE 
#1 ·
Getting my first rifle and need a scope.
Purchased a Mossberg MVP Predator w/ 20" barrel in 5.56.
Never shot with a scope before so I have no clue if Plex is better than BDC or what.

I'm looking at spending $150-$175 and can get either a Vortex Crossfire 2, a Nikon ProStaff. or Redfield Revenge in that price range .

Is one better than the others?
Which recticle do most prefer?

Other suggestions?

#2 ·
what distance do you plan on shooting with the MVP and will you be using it for hunting or just target shooting?

I have a Nikon Pro-staff 4x32 on 2 of my .22 rifles and the glass is exquisite, nikoplex reticle is very nice and clear.

I also have a BSA Sweet 17 on my .17 HMR that is calibrated for bullet drop by use of turrets and the objective lens cover. It was cheaper than the Nikon (i only paid $99 for this scope and it shoots dam good out to 200yds.)

Most recently I purchased a rem 700 in .223 and plan on shooting it usually at the 200 yd distance but would like to be able to get out to 300-500 yds. I topped it with this: Falcon Menace 4-14x44 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

Heres a little video from the jolliest CEO of all time, Larry Potterfield:

As for your choices, I've never shot the Vortex or the Redfield, but I hear good things about both brands.

#4 ·
A 3-9 should be more than enough scope for 100 yards then. I wouldn't worry too much about a BDC as a 55gr .223 will only drop .5-2" depending on many variables.

I can vouch for the Nikon, but not the redfield or vortex. I think at a certain point it becomes more about what reticle you like the most. Maybe others will chime in who have had more experience with the different brands.

#5 ·
I have two Redfield Revolution - one in 2-7 and one in 4-12. They are Made In USA versions, and about 20 dollars more than what you are looking to spend.

I know it is not a 'Revenge' version of the Redfield, but i can say that the Revolution version is a decent scope. Made by Leupold, it would be similar to a VX-1 version of Leupold.

The reason i like the Revolution is very good eye relief (i wear glasses), and i liked the matte finish to go with my Ruger American finish on the gun (and the red 'R' on the scope matches the red 'Ruger' on the American rifles...HAHA)....

I also have a Nikon 4x32, but that is on a .22 rifle, and it is a very good scope also.

All my scopes have just a 'normal' crosshair design, no bullet drop recticles for me just yet.....

#9 ·
I have a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x50 and can vouch that it's an excellent scope. Have it mounted on a Savage Axis in .223.

#10 ·
PB, Great choice of rifles. I have had the opportunity to shoot the MVP rifle on 2 occasion's and both times accuracy came in around 1 MOA. Another scope suggestion would be Nikon's P-223 3-9 BDC 600. It is currently under a PROMO right now that would allow you to buy this scope and get a P-Series Mount which would work just fine for your rifle. Saves you some money for more ammo! The P-223 3-9 BDC 600 scope will allow you to use Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program just in case you ever do decide to shoot further then 100 yards. Just a thought and just so you know, I do some freelance PR work for Nikon, no sales, so nothing for me to gain here, just trying to help yo usave some $ and still get a good scope. If you have any question's drop me a note. I use the above scope and it's little brother the P-223 3X Carbine scope. One of my favorites and on my 3 gun AR for shooting competition's.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/P-223 3-9/p-2233-9.jpg

#11 ·
I have a redfield battle zone 3-9 x 42mm which is pretty similar to the redfield revenge and it's a quality scope. It has a nice clear field of view and it's quite solidly constructed. Only drawback is it's not made in the U.S. I would expect the same quality from the Revenge but if you could spend a little more around $220 I'd recommend it but if not go with the Revenge.

#12 ·
I have all three and love all three. My personal preference is the Nikon. You will enjoy all three. I guess it comes down to cost, availability and crosshair type.

#15 ·
No bad choices listed. Buy all 3, send back the 2 you like less unless you can view them inperson locally.

Vortex has incredible customer service even on the lower end scopes. I'm pleased with my Viper PST FFP and will likely buy the new 4.5-27 Razor they have coming out. Good stuff.

#16 ·
While I haven't had to use the Vortex warranty, it alone is enough to sway me to buy their product. I have a vortex spark (wish I had the spark II now). I plan on putting vortex products on future builds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.